Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing

Whether you're buying or selling a website, our non-profit forums have very quickly established themselves as the only place to go for advice. We look forward to you joining us there whether you already run a successful web business or want to join the exciting world of making money from websites.

1. Protecting a site under a DDOS attack - dealing with a DDOS

by , 7 March 2011 at 3:06 pm (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    As you may know our site was attacked about three months ago. It was covered in this thread and this one.

I've been meaning to share with you what I learned, but never got around to it. Today, acorndomains is under attack, their admin has contacted me and we're chatting privately about this.

I thought it's about time I put this post together.

First, for those of you who don't know what a Distributed Denial of Service attack is - it's very simple: when ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Why you should NOT comment in Flippa listings

by , 2 March 2011 at 6:54 am (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    We've all seen the listings in Flippa which are out and out scams. Then there are those that don't seem like scams at first sight but turn out on further inspection to have fiddled the traffic figures, faked revenue etc.

And that's before you get to the vast majority of listings for which you can't prove fraud e.g. they've quoted "net profit" without first deducting a nominal amount for the value of the time spent running their sites.

When you notice irregularities
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Some recent discussion in our VIP Lounge

by , 3 February 2011 at 2:46 pm (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    You may or may not have heard about our VIP Lounge. It's a more relaxed area where experts discuss stuff, share tips etc. At most forums they charge for premium material like this. And if they had the type of members we have they'd charge a lot!

But as with everything on this site, access to the VIP Lounge is free. It's free to regularly contributing members - people who are part of this site and community, people who participate rather than sit on the sidelines and lurk.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Is anyone following the saga of EMI and Citi Group?

by , 2 February 2011 at 4:44 pm (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    The background: In 2007 Guy Hands' private equity fund, Terra Firma, paid 4.2 billion for EMI, the record label. 1.7 billion of that was his own money and Citigroup provided about 2.5 billion as a loan.

Since then EMI hasn't done too well financially and lost 1.57 billion in 2009 what with all these filesharers etc preferring to download their music illegally.

Guy Hands took CitiGroup to court last year to argue that they misled him about the value of the company.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. What's the Point of Alexa? Actually, you'll be surprised

by , 6 November 2010 at 4:03 pm (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    Alexa is often dismissed as a bit of a joke, not something that any serious webmaster should be concerned about. I suggest you don't dismiss it that quickly. True, the unsophisticated webmaster may scoff at Alexa crude ranking that is easily manipulated (less easily now than in the past, BTW), but there's more to Alexa and if you're smart you'll check it out. I'm no expert on Alexa but I'll list some of the stuff I know about it.

First, Adbrite, Payperpost, Text Link Ads and other ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast