Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing

Whether you're buying or selling a website, our non-profit forums have very quickly established themselves as the only place to go for advice. We look forward to you joining us there whether you already run a successful web business or want to join the exciting world of making money from websites.

1. Flippa Alternative: SearchForecast - A New Marketplace That Could Make It Big?

by , 10 August 2010 at 10:36 am (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    From forum thread:

http://marketplace.searchforecast.com/

Take a look and the page background may appear like a juvenile effort by someone learning HTML (like me) ...or the type of Flippa clone that we see cropping up every second week.

But it's early days and it may be worth keeping an eye on this one.

Searchforecast run an Adsense "directory"/scraper where you can do http://spyonweb.com/ type searches to connect a site owner to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Looking for Good Websites to Buy, Out of the Box Ideas - Part I

by , 30 July 2010 at 8:59 am (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    It looks like I'm developing what's known in medical circles as Part-one-itis. I don't know if it's there's a cure, but till they find one I'm going to launch a new "Part 1" to join my Part 1 of Not Having to Work Hard to Make Money and Part 1 of my Power Negotiations.

Today I came across the Madmums.com site. I find right at the bottom SEDO's little button which means that the site is for sale on SEDO.

sedo1.jpg

Wow! A site that I wouldn't ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Luke Moulton Steps Down From Flippa

by , 23 July 2010 at 5:29 am (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    Luke Moulton, general manager of Flippa has given in his notice.

According to Luke's blog, he tired of the three hour commute, and the fact that he's not getting to see much of his new baby daughter. He's going to be spending more time on his original business that pre-dates Flippa.

I hope it wasn't something we said.

Actually scratch that. I hope it was. I hope that he's realised from discussions here that he can make a lot more for himself working from ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. How Flippa Was Hacked - Video

by , 21 July 2010 at 3:57 am (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    Is-Hacked has released the video of how they hacked Flippa.

From earlier reports Flippa threatened to sue them if they released this video. I suspect that was sabre rattling. Even Flippa isn't that dumb to attract the negative publicity a law suit would inevitably do.

The vulnerability was simple, you could either click Forgot Password or Register. The email Flippa sends you contains a link that is designed to authenticate your email and contains a UserID in the url.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Is Flippa violating your privacy and reading your PMs?

by , 20 July 2010 at 9:01 am (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    In recent news was the fact that Flippa was hacked.

A screenshot was made public of what the admin control panel looked like. Picture here.

Note in the top right the text "You may temporarily log in as this user. BEWARE, your actions will be real"

This suggests that Flippa admins can log in to your account and read the PMs you exchange with other users, or even send PMs in your name!

This could be a good way of them catching people reaching ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast