Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. A challenging way to get paid for writing - part 3

So we've reached 2013 and I haven't earned one cent yet - but I'm enjoying myself and several things are coming together in an encouraging way. I put monetisation on the back burner while I worked on finding out what the site's readers responded to.

- Race reports are small beer, and this is the off season. Since these are intended as longish-lived articles for people who are not close followers in real time (most viewers are not really interested in the races themselves), I'm restricting ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. A challenging way to get paid for writing - part 2

Here's a summary of what I've been through so far.

I went back to OpenX after my employer sent me a copy of the installation file, and answered a couple of n00b questions.

As he says "OpenX is (often needlessly) complex, but it does a good job."

The original confusion happened because I assumed 'OpenX Fast Facts' would give a full summary of the product. Instead, it talks only about their hosted version, which is free below a certain number of impressions ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A challenging way to get paid for writing

Item 22 in Clinton's list of 101 Ways to Make Money Online is to write, with the advice that a contract will pay a little better than the peanuts you get for hourly paid work. Actually, most writers get peanuts for piecework - payment by the word - rather than by the hour.

I've just landed a job with an interesting payment scheme. Do it Yourself: here's a 300W x 250H ad block for each article or report you write, just keep out of the site owner's advertising categories.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Another tyro experiment in page promotion

Although I've been running web sites for more than a decade, none has ever done any more than pay for its hosting (if you discount an e-commerce site, whose success is down to the man who runs the business). A bit belatedly, I'm trying to learn to do nothing without an eye on its effect on the traffic I get.

Now, when an idea for a blog post enters my head, I check for high-paying, low-competition keywords and adjust the subject and its title accordingly.

Yesterday, ...

Updated 12 February 2012 at 10:00 am by Chabrenas (typo in title)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. An experiment in buying traffic to kick-start a new website.

I created the site 101medicine.org to target keyphrases in the US Health niche. It consists of a WP Page for each of the primary keywords, WP Posts on the same site for longer tail phrases, and a Facebook Page to attract visitors via that social network.

Since I had neither sites nor existing forum memberships in the niche, I decided to try buying an initial burst of traffic in the hope that some of it would stick. I found a site offering 10,000 UVs over a period of 30 days for US$12, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized