Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Miscellaneous Thoughts On Link Building

To trace my thought path:

I'm aware that people are still making money from niche sites. They are driving traffic to them from a range of sources, which are mostly avoiding anything to do with Gargle, because Gargle doesn't like sites that don't grow. Me, I'm in favour of evergreen sites with real info that often doesn't involve pictures. Gargyl seems to think that a picture is worth a thousand words - even if each and every one of those words is "rhubarb".

Whatever. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Why the Minisite Boom led to today's gloom

About 10 years ago savvy people were forecasting that web search would have to move from being "free" to "paid". Nobody could see how the service could be provided for no money, and maintain the facilities needed to give a search that would satisfy most users.

That view was also held by a lot of web search company executives, so when Gargyl came around waving cheque books, it took very little to persuade them to sell out their stuff to Gargyl. But Gargyl had a ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Your Mother Didn't Mention This!

I got one of those letters saying, in essence,
    As the owner of wxy .com we thought we'd let you know we are selling the related domain vwx .com. First to pay $299 gets it ...

Now, we've discussed these offers on E-P before. First thing you do is to check it out with a domain search at your favourite registrar. I went to Dynadot, found the domain was free to register for $8.99.

Now, the first thing you want to know about a dropped domain is if it has any backlinks, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. People Don't see Value In Free Stuff

We all view the world through different windows. Pardon the biblical inferences, but "we see through a glass, darkly" and what we infer from what we see is coloured by our previous experiences.

I doubt if there is anyone on E-P that hasn't bought some disappointing info product at one time or another. I bought one last week from somebody called Riz Nicholas, and I can only say that he is a sad b'stard if he thinks his "target turkeys" could benefit from his ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Keywords that pay!

My panda-chewed aff sites haven't made tuppence since November 2011, so I'm working on ways to resurrect them. I've decided to just treat them as aged domains without a bad history, and throw sites on them as fast as I can.

At the moment, I'm just writing relevant articles to try and get the kudos back. If they start showing some of their former traffic, I'll be looking at monetizing them. But it occurs to me that I've been away from this stage of site generation for too long, and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast