Most Popular Blogs

1. The Everest Theory

Where to start with site building?

If you start with the idea that you just have to put up a site, then target products that you think will sell from aff programs, you are not going to succeed. That is where I tried to start. What I learned from that is the "Everest Theory" - you can have the best site in the world on your subject, but if you don't learn to promote traffic to the site you might as well have built it 20,000 ft up on Mount Everest - there is not a lot of passing ...
    Tags: noob start
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Keywords that pay!

My panda-chewed aff sites haven't made tuppence since November 2011, so I'm working on ways to resurrect them. I've decided to just treat them as aged domains without a bad history, and throw sites on them as fast as I can.

At the moment, I'm just writing relevant articles to try and get the kudos back. If they start showing some of their former traffic, I'll be looking at monetizing them. But it occurs to me that I've been away from this stage of site generation for too long, and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Miscellaneous Thoughts On Link Building

To trace my thought path:

I'm aware that people are still making money from niche sites. They are driving traffic to them from a range of sources, which are mostly avoiding anything to do with Gargle, because Gargle doesn't like sites that don't grow. Me, I'm in favour of evergreen sites with real info that often doesn't involve pictures. Gargyl seems to think that a picture is worth a thousand words - even if each and every one of those words is "rhubarb".

Whatever. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Myth: You need to work hard to make money online - Part I

by , 5 July 2010 at 12:40 pm (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    Many years ago when I decided to ditch the day job and make a living from the web I didn't realise just how much time it takes to manage the average website.

If it's a blog you need to make regular posts, clean comment spam, engage with users who are commenting, read other blogs in the niche and comment in there, update Word Press regularly, update plugins... and while all this is fun for someone who's running his blog as a hobby, I was intending to make a living from this interweb ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. What's the Point of Alexa? Actually, you'll be surprised

by , 6 November 2010 at 4:03 pm (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    Alexa is often dismissed as a bit of a joke, not something that any serious webmaster should be concerned about. I suggest you don't dismiss it that quickly. True, the unsophisticated webmaster may scoff at Alexa crude ranking that is easily manipulated (less easily now than in the past, BTW), but there's more to Alexa and if you're smart you'll check it out. I'm no expert on Alexa but I'll list some of the stuff I know about it.

First, Adbrite, Payperpost, Text Link Ads and other ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized