All Blog Entries

1. Google Frontpage - 60% off. Google testing just four results to the page

by , 16 September 2010 at 1:41 pm (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    Google Instant was one way of showing a higher percentage of ads to organic material.

But it doesn't go far enough. Users can still get to organic results easily without further clicks. Is that why Google is now showing only four organic results to the page? It's not happening on every search term, but here's one:

Google-SERPS.jpg

Has this been going on for a while or is it a brand new test?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. More on Understanding Sellers

by , 10 September 2010 at 12:30 pm (Getting started with acquiring profitable websites - join the journey)
    When it comes to understanding sellers - it helps to know where they are coming from. In addition to uncovering the history of the site, it helps to know some history about the seller to. Usually, you can uncover both at once.

Professional or Casual Seller?

Before we get too far into these differences, when I mean a "professional" seller I mean someone who sells a LOT of businesses. If you are working with a broker, then s/he might be a professional but the actual ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Why You Shouldn’t Publicly Reveal All Details About Your Business On Flippa

by , 8 September 2010 at 7:19 pm (Buying, Managing & Selling Websites For Profit - Learn the Real Tricks of the Trade)
    I spend a lot of time browsing various marketplaces looking for ideas for my current businesses and also potential new businesses. The nature of operating on the web is that the majority of markets have low barriers to entry and are easy to enter and replicate and existing successful business. A process often used by engineers to work out how unfamiliar technology works is often known as “reverse engineering”. The same thought process can be applied to web businesses and can be used by savvy marketers ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. News: Flippa template seller type conman jailed for four years

by , 7 September 2010 at 8:38 am (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    It seems the easiest type of business - there are thousands of "website flippers" telling us how easy it is to create a new site and sell it for a profit.

Some use the same template over and over again (or with minor tweaks). Others have become smarter in disguising their templates/turnkeys as real businesses by installing auto-blogs, inserting free content they've taken from article directories, even putting fake ads on the site to give the impression they are established ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Another Down Week

by , 2 September 2010 at 2:04 pm (Getting started with acquiring profitable websites - join the journey)
    This week I was hoping to report the results on an offer I made on a website. I have not heard from the seller. Meanwhile, I've been working on a couple of different projects unrelated to this one and they've been consuming all of my time.

The site I am looking at will take a lot of work to get it where I want it to be but I think I can make it profitable again.

I'll back next week. I hope with some good news about the offer and with some ideas you might find useful. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized