All Blog Entries

1. Why you should NOT comment in Flippa listings

by , 2 March 2011 at 6:54 am (Assorted Thoughts on Website Buying, Selling and Monetizing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    We've all seen the listings in Flippa which are out and out scams. Then there are those that don't seem like scams at first sight but turn out on further inspection to have fiddled the traffic figures, faked revenue etc.

And that's before you get to the vast majority of listings for which you can't prove fraud e.g. they've quoted "net profit" without first deducting a nominal amount for the value of the time spent running their sites.

When you notice irregularities
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Week That Wasn't

by , 25 February 2011 at 7:55 am (Getting started with acquiring profitable websites - join the journey)
    It's a bit strange but I'm having a hard time thinking of anything significant I've accomplished this week!

I did get the new issue of the ezine I started up and I started testing the sales page against a new version. One problem with this test is I'll have to figure some way to adjust for members who come to log in. However they should only be counted once so it shouldn't be too long before they are rendered statistically insignificant.

Had a couple of things happen ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Where'd that arm go?

by , 18 February 2011 at 2:35 pm (Getting started with acquiring profitable websites - join the journey)
    Seems like I've been on a quoting jag lately. Here goes another one:

"I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet."

Side note: I read where that saying was based on a true story.

Last week I was crying because I felt like the proverbial "one-armed paperhanger". Now I'm wondering where my other arm went.

Lots going on this week.

Finally finished a "massive" update of the site. I made quite ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Oh the Joys of One-armed Paperhanging...

by , 11 February 2011 at 10:38 am (Getting started with acquiring profitable websites - join the journey)
    In the US there's a saying one is "busier than a one-armed paperhanger". Sometimes I think that guy has it easier.

This week I don't feel like I got much accomplished. Some ads ran with little response. Must be my week for quotes. Didn't Einstein say "Insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly while expecting different results."?

To be fair to myself, the only thing I'm "doing" repeatedly is running the first solo ad. And thus, "I" ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Slow but encouraging...

by , 4 February 2011 at 12:10 pm (Getting started with acquiring profitable websites - join the journey)
    It's been one of those weeks where nothing seems to be happening fast enough.

As you read last week, the results were in from my first test were a bit of a disappointment. The ad ran again with similarly dismal results. However I was able to get some additional statistics and those are promising.

From what I can tell the ad is basically sound, thus the problem apparently does lie with the publisher. We're working things out and I must say they have been a pleasure to work ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized