• Website helping carers

There are two issues we can help with: Cutting the hosting costs, and monetizing the site. I will come to monetizing later, in another post.

HOSTING COSTS

Both domain and site hosting appear to be with 1&1, which is an affordable and very reliable host - but not one that I would recommend to anyone. Unfortunately, it appears that you also just paid up for the next lump of hosting - and I'll bet you paid for the whole year to get the discount price ...

While I say they are affordable, there are other companies, just as reliable, which are a lot cheaper for the same level of service. And anyone sponsoring the site can feel good about doing it, and should at least offer a large discount on hosting in return for a prominent front page advertisement.

But now we have to point out why I wouldn't recommend 1&1 to people.
    They work from the German hosting model (the parent company is just inside Switzerland, so the German owners don't have to go far to the office). The terms and conditions are designed to tie you into their services and discourage you from trying to go elsewhere.

You need to give notice by email at the appropriate time that you wish to discontinue using their services. Transferring the domain to another registrar that charges around half the annual fee requires filling in paper forms, even if you want to transfer the domain to someone like Moniker (they own Moniker, don't use them either -I would recommend Dynadot or Namecheap for a .com domain).
    Marginally easier to to move away from than Hotel California, where "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave". But they're not the worst. The worst German registrars will refuse to transfer your domain, and keep your domain alive on a parking page for a year after you quit, just to make it hard for you to get it back.

So now we need recommendations for extremely reliable hosts that don't cost an arm and a leg.
    Then Neil has to write begging letters to those hosts, and see which one can come up with the best deal to host the site.

Yknow, the interesting thing about Neil's concept is that it has value in any country where people can connect to it. Truly cosmopolitan.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Website helping carers started by Neil View original post