+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difference between US English and British English..?

Thanks

Difference between US English and British English..?

Hi,

I registered some two word domain names and there is, something seems a bit confusing. Some words are different in US English and British English i.e. "center" and "centre".

Actually, I believed investing in that kind of domain names such as "MonetaryCentre" dot com/co.uk, would have made nice profit for me. But I'm not sure

I'll be happy if I get your comments on this topic.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    There are lots of words which have different spellings. Advisor (US) and adviser (UK), for example. Many Brits don't even realise that they're using the American spelling for that one. The US is usually a larger audience, so often you might be better off going for the US spelling. However, for a British audience, which is what the co.uk domains are good for, then you'd better stick with the British English spelling. A US spelling won't seem right on a .co.uk. You can probably use either on a .com.

But that's just my opinion, perhaps someone else will come along and add theirs.

How do you plan to make a profit from domains such as MonetaryCentre? Have you got some end users in mind? Who do you hope will buy these domains you've been buying?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    There are lots of words which have different spellings. Advisor (US) and adviser (UK), for example. Many Brits don't even realise that they're using the American spelling for that one. The US is usually a larger audience, so often you might be better off going for the US spelling. However, for a British audience, which is what the co.uk domains are good for, then you'd better stick with the British English spelling. A US spelling won't seem right on a .co.uk. You can probably use either on a .com.

But that's just my opinion, perhaps someone else will come along and add theirs.

How do you plan to make a profit from domains such as MonetaryCentre? Have you got some end users in mind? Who do you hope will buy these domains you've been buying?
    There is no end-user/s I found/reached for that name. Actually, I haven't done a research yet.

In first place, the main problem is pricing my domain names. I'm not able to put price tag/s of any domain name I have. The most important thing I'm looking for, is to get help to determine end-user price of each name, reseller price also.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    There is no end-user/s I found/reached for that name. Actually, I haven't done a research yet.
    In which case, why did you buy it? Did you just like the sound of the name or something?

In first place, the main problem is pricing my domain names. I'm not able to put price tag/s of any domain name I have. The most important thing I'm looking for, is to get help to determine end-user price of each name, reseller price also.
    I get the impression that you seem to think making money from domains is easy. It's not. If it really were as simple as buying names you like and selling them for a nice profit, then everyone would be doing it. Being a successful domainer takes time, experience and skill. You need to learn a bit more about the business of domaining before you spend money buying domains which probably won't sell. Check out the various sites and forums where domainers hang out, including this one, gather information about what sells and what doesn't and at what prices.

Sorry to be harsh, but I wouldn't give you reg fee for the domain monetarycentre - it doen't seem to mean anything. MoneyCentre would probably be fine. Perhaps some of the others will give you a different opinion. I'm not a successful domainer, and just dabble in it as a sideline.

Is the forex site on MonetaryCentre dot com yours? The .co.uk is for sale at Sedo. If they're yours, then you must have some idea about what they could be used for and what sort of end user might be likely to buy them rather than just buying a FTR.

If you like, you can list some of your other domains (NO LINKS please) and let the EP members have a look to see if there's any domain they think might be worth something.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    I get the impression that you seem to think making money from domains is easy. It's not.
    Yeah, sure, but who here has never bought a domain because they liked the sound of it and thought it could be worth something one day? I'm certainly guilty
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    LOL. It did occur to me to say something about that but I didn't want to burble on about my mostly feeble attempts at domaining. I've bought some pretty strange domains in my time (mostly because they seemed like a good idea after a few beers, or the name amused me).

I think one of the "best" ones I bought - still have it - was MyGoat .com. It seemed like a funny name, a .com, short, possibibly brandable, or even good for a site about goats. Oh my, what was I thinking of?

I still do buy domains if I like the sound of them but I usually have at least some plan about what I could do with them if I don't get a queue of people desperate to buy. But it's not good 'advice' to say that it's a good way to go about things. It's more of a method for a hobby domainer, I doubt if the professionals buy just on a hunch or a whim, and if they do then they know what they're doing.

It gets MyGoat that anyone might think otherwise.

Thanks
    In which case, why did you buy it? Did you just like the sound of the name or something?

I get the impression that you seem to think making money from domains is easy. It's not. If it really were as simple as buying names you like and selling them for a nice profit, then everyone would be doing it. Being a successful domainer takes time, experience and skill.

Sorry to be harsh, but I wouldn't give you reg fee for the domain monetarycentre - it doen't seem to mean anything. MoneyCentre would probably be fine. Perhaps some of the others will give you a different opinion. I'm not a successful domainer, and just dabble in it as a sideline.

Is the forex site on MonetaryCentre dot com yours? The .co.uk is for sale at Sedo. If they're yours, then you must have some idea about what they could be used for and what sort of end user might be likely to buy them rather than just buying a FTR.

If you like, you can list some of your other domains (NO LINKS please) and let the EP members have a look to see if there's any domain they think might be worth something.
    As a matter of fact, yes I did think of gaining profit from domaining even by selling such domains. Just, I know working on domains is really tough job and it requires effor and time to achieve good result, so I've never been after quick money. And I always keep in my mind that "patience is a virtue".

That's ok, I see no harsh there. I created this thread to get honest opinions of experienced people and I'm happy I've got what I was looking for.

Yes, the forex site on MonetaryCentre dot com is mine. Actually, I put that ready to use wordpress blog on it for just getting it live on the internet. I hope it's not that bad to do that.

Of course, I'd like to see EP members' thoughts on some of my other domains. I'll be happy to hear what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    Yeah, sure, but who here has never bought a domain because they liked the sound of it and thought it could be worth something one day? I'm certainly guilty
    I know it's not the favorite domain name for many people. If it was, someone would already register it before me but I still believe that it's not junk. I wanted to get know if it worth some amount of money but it seems that it's early.

LOL. It did occur to me to say something about that but I didn't want to burble on about my mostly feeble attempts at domaining. I've bought some pretty strange domains in my time (mostly because they seemed like a good idea after a few beers, or the name amused me).

I think one of the "best" ones I bought - still have it - was MyGoat .com. It seemed like a funny name, a .com, short, possibibly brandable, or even good for a site about goats.

I still do buy domains if I like the sound of them but I usually have at least some plan about what I could do with them if I don't get a queue of people desperate to buy. But it's not good 'advice' to say that it's a good way to go about things. It's more of a method for a hobby domainer, I doubt if the professionals buy just on a hunch or a whim, and if they do then they know what they're doing.
    Nevertheless, a lot of people get interested in some domain names which don't seem that good and they pay high for them.

So, I thought that I better ask for experienced domainers and internet experts to ciriticise my domains. In this way finding out prices of my domain names will be easier for me, i guess.

In any case, I'll need help to determine price for each name even if they worth "0/$".

For the rest, thank you all for taking time to reply this thread, I appreciated that.

Cheers!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to auctioneer For This Useful Post:

Kay (31 October 2012)

Thanks
    Personally, I think MyGoat.com is an excellent domain name. I can think of a few site concepts for a name like that right off the bat. For some reason it creates an almost immediate emotional response to "buy" in me - or at least to click, so I am a potential buyer ...

Then again ... I am still a verified newbie.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hipmrc
    ...I think MyGoat.com is an excellent domain name.
    Have a few beers! You'll probably like the idea even more then. Crikey, I just noticed I bought that one in 2003. Where did the time go?

Back to the subject of UK/US spellings I have MiserAdviser .com and .co.uk. I guess I was hoping to develop something like MoneySavingExpert and eventually sell it for $86 Million. LOL. But that domain could be a bit problematic because loads of Brits use the spelling "advisor" these days. Even if you think the spelling is OK for the .co.uk probably most people seeing it on the .com would think it was a spelling mistake.

Established Member
    Thanks
    I would say that you should try to get the correct spelling for the country, or better still get both spellings for both country codes. Maybe its just me but I find it irritating when I see domains offered with US spellings and co.uk endings but not if the dot com is offered as well. If you have both spellings and both endings then potential buyers can be sold the idea that this will help protect any brand they build.

+ Reply to Thread