+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could You help me value this site on flippa?

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gzed View Post
    There's an ongoing tragedy of wide-eyed newbies who get in over their heads buying income generating ecommerce sites on Flippa. These sites sell for $10,000+, and when you visit them a few months later, the homepage is dead: either dns is down / 404 page or a generic cgi-bin directory listing.
    A small sample from here:

Site Selling price in Flippa Currently
    TheKingofEnergy.com
    $65,000 Parked
    idperfect.com
    $50,000 Parked
    earthvps.com $50,000 Parked
    mytopfans.net $50,000 Redirected
    pixa.us $25,000 Parked
    craigslistphoneverifiedaccounts.com $24,000 Dead
    bestiphoneunlocking.com
    $20,000 Parked
    vcao.net $20,000 Parked
    Several million dollars of sites are bought in Flippa that the buyers end up regretting! You won't see that in any of the stats.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

gzed (5 November 2012), Kay (5 November 2012), Saul (5 November 2012), TheodoreK (6 November 2012)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    There was also a private listing sold at $350k which is also long gone that we've discussed here on EP. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more of these.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    None if these are dropship.

I think that there are some new owners that are simply lazy are don't put in the time. There is a learning curve to overcome in the initial months to just get aquainted with all the innerworkings of the site. A noob can become a master with the proper training, determination, and constant education from forums like this and reading online resources.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    epoch707, I think you may be missing the point somewhat. Not one person who has contributed to this thread seems enthusiastic about this proposed purchase, and they've each given their reasons why they don't like the smell of this deal. Additionally, it's been suggested to you that you should get your feet wet with a $1-2,000 site so you can learn a bit more about the business of buying and selling websites. However, you seem to be persisting with the idea that you'll gamble $20,000 on your first venture.

You seem to be justifying your reasoning by blaming the failure of others on being lazy or not putting in the time required to run a successful site. Let me put it to you another way - it doesn't matter how much time, effort and money you put into polishing a turd. At the end of the day, it's still a turd.
    Last edited by Kay; 6 November 2012 at 8:27 am. Reason: dyslexic fingers
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Nidec (7 November 2012)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by epoch707 View Post
    None if these are dropship.

I think that there are some new owners that are simply lazy are don't put in the time. There is a learning curve to overcome in the initial months to just get aquainted with all the innerworkings of the site.
    It sounds like you've convinced yourself that this is worth buying.

Go ahead, give it a shot. Examine it as closely as you can. Make a list of all the partners involved - from supplier to payment processor - and consider the ease of replacement should any one of them go bust. Inspect the sources of traffic/business and form an opinion on how secure they are. Take a gander around the admin controls and any custom coding to convince yourself you can manage any glitch. Take a fine tooth comb to the figures on both sides of the ledger. Sometimes there's opportunity where others fear to tread
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Thank you, but I am a pretty shrewd investor, I have experience with stocks and real estate so I know to look a lot and pick off maybe 1% of my top choices. I'll probably pass on this site.

I offered $15,000 for the site with proper due diligence so the owner will let me know if it doesn't sell on flippa or if the buyer is sketchy. We sign contract, if I smell anything funny or fishy during the due diligence period, then I walk.

Here is a quick snapshot on a few keywords it ranks: asiankoreanfashion.com

Organic Keywords Pos Vol CPC Traffic % Costs % Relative URL
    cute korean clothes 1 140 $0.50 10.38% 7.62% /
    korean clothing online 7 1,600 $0.60 10.10% 8.90% /
    korean clothes online 7 720 $0.69 4.54% 4.60% /
    asian korean fashion 1 58 $0.44 4.30% 2.78% /
    asian clothing online 8 880 $0.65 4.16% 3.97% /

PS, I think a $1,000-$2,000 would be a waste of money. Even I know that.

Why would anyone sell an eccomerce site for only $1,000 if its making any kind of money. Usually dropship sites like these are just a quick wordpress template sold on flippa made a week ago. There are hundreds on flippa

Rather start your own site or go big and buy one $20k+
    Last edited by Clinton; 6 November 2012 at 10:13 am. Reason: to merge posts

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    it doesn't matter how much time, effort and money you put into polishing a turd. At the end of the day, it's still a turd.
    But after a while it might be valuable. The LLoyds bank turd is one that has been insured for 30k before someone dropped it!

I would be nervous about the "possible duplicates", but I can understand epoch707's viewpoint.

However, I would remark that past general advice in this line has always been to invest half the capital in the site purchase, to leave a lump of ready cash for any necessary improvements. One way or another, if the site changes hands it "fits the guidelines".

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Update:

After offering $15,000, the owner told me that the offer is too low and she had another offer for $25,000 so she promptly sold it away. Oh well, I'll keep looking

Banned
    Thanks
    I am about to bid on this eccommerce site: asiankoreanfashion.com

Here is the flippa listing:

https://flippa.com/2833058-establish...sd2100-average

I've talked to the owner and she wants $20,000 for it, which according to her "records" looks like a decent deal. If this site profits $2200 a month, I'll have my money back in 9 months or so. Anyway what do you think?

Thanks
    Well it appears the big sales pitch that the owner wants to push to the buyers is that it is similar to drop shipping or turn key, it mentioned several times that there is no hands on for the clothing store which is a plus.

They have 425 keywords placing in the top ten on Google so I would Private Message the owner, and ask what those keywords are to see how well they convert into sales for an honest assessment of the sites potential.

You might also want proof of the financial details to help you value the site.

Banned
    Thanks
    Update:

After offering $15,000, the owner told me that the offer is too low and she had another offer for $25,000 so she promptly sold it away. Oh well, I'll keep looking
    Oh good luck sorry to hear that.

+ Reply to Thread