+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Number one on Goggle search 'leather golf bags"

Trial Member
    Thanks

Number one on Goggle search 'leather golf bags"

Hi my name is Brent. I have been writing web pages for years, and think I am very good at SEO. I have a client that is wanting to sell his site and domain, he just doesn't have time for the business anymore. The site does not make much money, but he has the number one spot on google and other search engines for the terms 'leather golf bags' (give it try on bing, google, yahoo, etc). I would think that regardless of site content and revenue that the ranking could be worth something to someone else in the golf bag business. If a site had terms like 'bobs golf shop' that is one thing. It is easy to get search rank with something unique. I would think that terms like 'military supplies' or 'star wars collectables' and terms like that with high search rank might be worth a lot to the right buyer, regardless of revenue or hits. What do you think?

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    easynetsurf, there'll be a lot of people who tell you that good SERP performance adds value to a site. And they're right ... to a point. At the lower end of the market and when selling to relative newbies, you will see a premium for the free "organic" nature of the traffic.

You will also find "site-flipping" ebooks, courses and blogs recommending the SEO route to adding value to your site.

However, no serious business in their right mind would pay more for the unreliable traffic that SERPs represent. I wouldn't. Someone in the golf bag business may be persuaded to pay more if he were acting unilaterally and without much knowledge of website buying. If he were taking professional advice however, they'd question his sanity on allocating value to a fickle variable he has zero control over.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Thanks
    Clinton,so is it safe to assume that a site would be better positioned if it had a good mix of i.e. paid ads (ad words etc) along with SERPs traffic? If that is the case can you shed some light on as to what should be the good or ideal mix of traffic,percentage wise. I know you are not a big fan of purely google dependent traffic. Thanks.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    To know what's a good mix one needs to simply look at SMEs that rely on their websites and who turnover several million every month. They tend to have less than 25% of traffic from Google. The extent to which they rely on PPC/affiliates/offline advertising/word of mouth/the strength of their brand etc., varies, but none of them would "boast" the 100% free traffic that Flippa sellers are so fond of claiming. I get to see a lot of stats. In some of them I see as little as <10% of traffic from organic. In fact, I know some businesses go defensive when the percentage of their organic exceeds comfort levels! This is to ensure their business doesn't become too reliant on this monster that can pull the rug from under their feet and cause their otherwise stable business to collapse. It's a sad state of affairs.

25%. That's it. That's a "natural" max given the marketshare Google has. Anything more and the site is either over-SEOed or under-marketed .... or both. Make sure that this 25% of free traffic doesn't account for more than 25% of the profit. The purpose is defeated if all the website's profits come from this section of visitors as it's then still a 100% risk.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

JJ70 (10 January 2013), Makeit (9 January 2013)

+ Reply to Thread