+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moneybookers (Skrill) Now Charging for dormant/inactive accounts

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts

Moneybookers (Skrill) Now Charging for dormant/inactive accounts

Just received an email from MoneyBookers (Skrill) and they are going to implement charges for inactive/dormant accounts.

Accordingly, your Skrill Account will remain free of Service Fee if you log into or make a transaction using your Skrill Account in a 12 month period. If you do not do this, the Service Fee of 1.00 EUR (or equivalent) will be deducted monthly from your Skrill Account balance, if any.Accordingly, your Skrill Account will remain free of Service Fee if you log into or make a transaction using your Skrill Account in a 12 month period. If you do not do this, the Service Fee of 1.00 EUR (or equivalent) will be deducted monthly from your Skrill Account balance, if any.
    If you have an account with them and don't use it, it might be time to cancel your account.

On a side note is this going to be the next big scam charging for accounts that people don't use lol.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

cBusiness (9 January 2013), Fish (21 December 2012), Kay (21 December 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I went to cancel my account and of course there is no simple way, they want me to send them verifiable proof of id such as a copy of my passport or birth certificate or drivers licence etc..
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Bet the banks wish they could do that with forgotten about/dormant accounts, nice way to seize small amounts, you would like to think it's not legal as such a massive change should need new terms accepted but nothing much surprises me nowadays.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottJ For This Useful Post:

Clinton (21 December 2012), grynge (21 December 2012)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    It's German banking. Like German hosting, all the rules are biased to "their side". What is annoying is you also get German help systems from them.

My account was set up to use an online bridge (card game) site which has been out of action for some time. No site, dormant account.

I tried to access my account and their procedure didn't work.
    Firstly, I only got two chances to guess my password. With three possibilities, I wasn't allowed to try.

Goto Recover Password.

Step 1 - is this your valid current mobile number? - answer Y

Step 2 - click here to get a code sent by SMS, enter the code in the box. So I click the link, nothing happens in 10 minutes. "Click here to re-send" - I click again. Nothing happens again. Click again -I immediately get two codes by SMS, but the box for entering them disappears. Now I am presented with another page asking for a scan of an ID document, which must be less than 1000 kb in size.

My scanner/printer is connected to a computer that has been screwed up by a Windows Update, I can only get the scanner to deposit a pdf onto an SD card, and the pdf is 3.2Mb.

I use the "any trouble, send an email to contact" option. I delineate my troubles, and ask if they have any information about the bridge site.

I get an email from someone called Theodor, a standard reply, suggesting that I use the password recovery system. I go back to the site and try, but the system has not been reset and goes immediately to the page asking for an ID scan less than 1000 kb.

He didn't read my message, did he?

Once again, the famous quote from Bob Henrit - "The Germans are quiet and efficient people. They will quietly and efficiently RIP YOU OFF!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

grynge (21 December 2012)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grynge View Post
    I went to cancel my account and of course there is no simple way, they want me to send them verifiable proof of id such as a copy of my passport or birth certificate or drivers licence etc..
    I had exactly the same experience. They made it very difficult and I gave up in frustration. So the 200-300 I've got in there is now going to get gradually eaten away by the "huge cost" they incur managing my dormant account.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

grynge (21 December 2012)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Is it not possible to hire someone to do something for you and transfer the balance over to them? I don't know, I've never used Moneybookers. If you like I could set up an account with Moneybookers and everyone can send me their unwanted cash. Pick me! I'm sure I could find something to do with it.

I guess it must be more complicated than that.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

DaveMurphy (23 December 2012), grynge (21 December 2012)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    So you guys had also a hard time canceling your accounts? Same here... But could some one explains this to me: will they take away the 1 euro fee a month from your Moneybookers account or will they try to get hold of your bank accounts and try to rip it off from there? Example if I have 5 euros on the Moneybookers account left, so they will just take the 5 euros and close the inacitve account?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ofka For This Useful Post:

grynge (28 December 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ofka that is something I could not find in their terms and conditions, to me it looks like they will charge the fee to any bank account / credit card that is associated to the account which is why I tried to cancel my account. I ended up having to use the email I got from support about the change of details to my password to get the account closed that way. The email address I used was security at moneybookers dot com

Kay the problem as I see it even if you transfer/spend the money they will still take the fees out from the inactive account.
    Non ducor, duco

15. The Following User Says Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Kay (28 December 2012)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Kay the problem as I see it even if you transfer/spend the money they will still take the fees out from the inactive account.
    Sorry if I'm being really thick, but I don't understand this at all. How can the account be inactive if you're using it to spend money? Let's look at what seems to be a similar situation. I have an account with Freelancer (it got transferred in when they bought up Scriptlance). I've never used Freelancer but there's still a balance about $150+ which was transferred from my SL account. I only ever used SL to pay others to work for me. I never at any time did any work for anyone else via their system. I just used it to pay people. So you can't use your Moneybookers account just to pay people? Do they really have rules that say you must be receiving money as well as paying it out? It sounds like Hotel California - you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

Does anyone have any contacts at Moneybookers? Perhaps we can invite them over here to explain it to us.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

grynge (28 December 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes Kay you're correct if you use it, its not inactive, but then what happens next time?

To me it seems a grab for cash, making you use the system (eg pay fees for using it) or pay fees for not using it.
    Non ducor, duco

+ Reply to Thread