+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TLDs You Will or Will Not Use

Dormant Account
    Thanks

TLDs You Will or Will Not Use

What TLDs do you avoid using and which ones will you (do you) use other than the obvious .com?

I have a few sites on .info. I don't really feel great about that one for some reason. I got them for free when they first came out. It seems like there are a lot of spammy type sites on that one.

I had a couple sites on .net that I sold off but I would consider using that again.

I have a couple .org but no sites on those yet.

I also have some .US waiting for sites. What do you guys think about that one? (for targetting people in the US only)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matteo For This Useful Post:

Kay (9 January 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I tend to try avoid .info just due to the stigma on them, their free/low value when they came out means they were bought en-mass for spamming and never recovered reputation wise.
    My favourite out-with of .com is .org - especially for educational websites, I love to see a good established site on the .org.
    .us never really got much traction, people in the US adopted .com and it looks like they have stayed that way.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I too like the .com but I also use .co.uk a lot. I prefer to get both, but it's not always possible and I do have successful sites where I own the .co.uk and not the .com. I agree with Scott, the .info seems inferior, as does the .biz. Mostly I don't buy anything that's not a .com or a .co.uk, but I dabble a bit sometimes. So, I have a few small sites on .net and .org. These were mostly bought for a very specific purpose. I wouldn't normally seek these out. The .co interested me for a while because I saw the opportunity to get generics but no one seems to be very impressed by the .co.

I probably wouldn't go for any of the newer ones such as .travel. You could end up spending all your money buying TLDs and not developing your business. Anyway, much of the value of the domain - according to some people - is how well it can do in the SERPs. Given G's algo change to give less importance to EMDs, and the fact that not all traffic comes from G anyway, I'm much more keen to get something which is easy to remember and spell and get it for the .com and the .co.uk.

The .us doesn't appeal any more than the .gb. It may be the 'correct' usage but it's not well known outside domaining and webmaster circles - is it?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Perhaps outside the realm of most people here, but .tv seems to be popular for showcasing small firms in the video and film making industry.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    There is a hierarchy of perceived value among domainers. In descending order: com, net, org, info.

For UK market, co.uk comes just above net, org.uk between net and org, me.uk about the same as info. German domains are often worth about the same or more than net / co.uk, but most domainers leave .de alone because it is a complex market.

That is how domainers look at domain extensions. There was a time when people would say things like "you build a site on the .net that makes money, the man with the .com will develop another site and take your business", the understanding being that the search engines somehow ranked sites in the same way.

I don't think there is much differentiation between the TLD extensions in the search algorithms nowadays, but prejudices still exist in the domaining business which attach higher values to domains according to that ranking system. Sometimes people have held out for a higher price and been bypassed - I'm pretty sure that is the reason that Avon cosmetics uses the uk.com, and the co.uk has never been developed properly.

For myself, I resent paying fees over $12 / year for a domain, so I will use anything that comes cheaper than that!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (13 January 2013), Kay (13 January 2013)

Thanks
    According to Sedo sales stats for TLDs they list average selling price for .com > .net > .org > .biz > .info.

For country code extensions it looks like that on average for major extensions like .de, .es, .uk that they sell in secondary market for about the price of .net and about half the price of a .com.

Some data here http://www.sedo.com/us/resources/mar...d=&language=us

Obviously this may be based on a pretty skewed sample and probably median prices would be more relevant than means.

Stephen.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    I'm a noobie, but in this situation it just might give us a fresh perspective.

As an American, I feel that .com reigns supreme (it sounds like a cultural factor). In fact, I'd venture to say that 99% of websites I go to daily are .com. Occasionally I will come across a .net or .org - but interestingly enough in my area these tend to be used for our city and county websites.

Here's another thought - in my '.com culture' you might say "Hey, you gotta check out my site - it's EXAMPLE.net - it's great!" Well what I'm going to type in when I get home? - EXAMPLE.com - and assuming you don't own the .com as well, you just lost me.

I know, I know, we Americans are silly that way... But it brings up a valid point; if your target audience is in the US, go with a .com

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Kay; 28 February 2013 at 10:09 pm. Reason: Edited out hyperlinks to examples

Established Member
    Thanks
    1 thing worth considering is your own and your customers location if you sell physical products.
    When I personally shop online I ALWAYS request results from the UK only, I don't want to waste time clicking onto sites based in the US or elsewhere

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    As an American, I feel that .com reigns supreme (it sounds like a cultural factor).
    The real problem is that the extensions have lost their original intentions by being opened up in a free-for-all. com was intended for established companies, net for web services, org for organisations, and info for everything informative.

In the UK scheme of things, .net.uk is still reserved for those providing net services, although other categories (org.uk, me.uk) have become open like the ICANN domains. That's still a source of fascination to me. You need a domain to become a registrar, THEN you can get a net.uk domain. No wonder it is a little used extension ...

Established Member
    Thanks
    As an American (admittedly the last 23 years residing outside the country), I have a soft spot for .us. It is unappreciated, but the US is one of the few countries not to embrace it's own TLD. As America loses influence, I expect that .com will become less identified with the US, and that would leave the .us TLD in a good position.
    One of the reasons that .us has failed so far is because the registrar that manages it (Neustar) is apparently incompetent. Godaddy has tried in the past to buy control of .us. If they try again and are successful, I would expect to see a big change.

Most Americans are simply unaware of .us. As the .com price rises as the "gold standard" of domains, I can see increased interest in .us, if it is managed properly.

Back to the OP, .org seems assured for the time being as being perceived as non-profit (which, as we all know, is good for profits). .net has an identity problem, but it is still very widely used around the world, and very familiar to people (no small thing). Yes, some traffic may "leak" to the .com, but that's overplayed. If the .com is a parked page or otherwise useless site, your customers will find you anyway. In many cases, the .com is simply unaffordable to a start-up, so the .net is a reasonable option.

+ Reply to Thread