+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A reminder about fluff postings

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

A reminder about fluff postings

It's probably fair to say we've been a bit more lenient about fluff over the festive season but that shouldn't set a precedent. If we are to maintain the high quality of this forum, then we need to go back to being a bit more strict about not allowing fluff postings.

We have a notice about how to avoid fluff posts, but it's in the Intro Forum and not everyone starts there, so some people may not have seen it. Others may have forgotten. Here it is again:
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...-an-infraction

Please read it (again) and help us to keep the quality high.

Thanks.

(PS - if you've not been making fluff postings, then please don't read this message.)
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    And, as usual, if you feel a post is fluff, hit the triangle and report it please. Even if we've noticed the fluff, it helps when we've received a complaint as we can point out to the member that we're not just picking on him/her and that others are complaining about their post too.

There's also cultural issues at play. In some countries, including where I hail from, statements of the obvious are quite common. On these forums those could be seen as fluff and attract an infraction. That's why I've taken the trouble to explain, with examples, what's considered fluff around here. If you've been given a warning or you've been finding your posts getting deleted it may be worth taking a trip down to that thread Kay linked to and reviewing its contents.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Despite my earlier no-fluff reminder, we're seeing more one-liners which don't contain any real information. I don't want to run around issuing infractions, spanking people's bottoms, and spending my time PMing them about fluff.

If you are recommending something, then please tell us why you're recommending it and why it's good and even tell us if there are any downsides to the product you're recommending. The same goes for articles, if you think something is worth a read, then please at least include something about WHY it's worth a read. What's interesting about it? What's your take on it?

Thanks.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The number of fluff and borderline fluff postings is creeping up again. Please read (again) the forum rules about fluff.

Please don't post to say "thanks". You can just hit the "thanks" button, it's the green thumbs up which shows beneath each post. This is sufficient to let the poster know you appreciated their post. If you have something new to add to the thread, it's fine to include a brief thanks along with your post. The point is that the post must contain more than just saying thanks.

Note, when you are very new you may not yet have the thanks function enabled. [[Edit: This was changed some time ago and no longer applies. New members have the thanks button enabled right from the start.]] Don't worry, you'll get it soon and if you want to you can go back and thank particularly helpful posts later.

Replying to older threads - if you have something useful to add to an older thread, it's fine to revive it. However, please don't dig up old threads just to say you find them interesting. You need to add something of use, such as news on the issue or some more recent development.

One-liners - posting lots of one liners tends to lower the quality of the forum so we discourage these. It's much better to make fewer posts of a higher quality than peppering a lot of one-liners all over the place. Too many one-liners and you could risk being thought of as either trying to increase post count or sig link dropping.

Personal communications - this forum has never allowed fluff messages to say you'll PM someone or you received a PM from them. That's between you and them. We neither need nor want to know about it. If you receive a spam PM from someone touting for business, then please report it to me by PM. (You can forward the spam message to me too if you want. This will help me to assess how to deal with it.)
    Last edited by Kay; 22 January 2014 at 6:49 pm. Reason: updating info

+ Reply to Thread