+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flippa Affiliate Program - New Dangers?

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    It's been a year now.

Does anyone know of any sites that have affiliate links to Flippa? I checked some of the usual suspects who recommend "flipping" and who used to send visitors to Flippa but their links don't seem to be affiliate links.
    I was actually looking at their affiliate program on Shareasale yesterday as I send them tons of listings that aren't suitable for me... looks like it might be dead. Doesn't show any EPC stats with the application dashboard so I am assuming very few people actually use it. I might be wrong, though, but not seen anyone promoting it. As an aside, "site flipping" seems to have lost popularity amongst the guru crowd, so perhaps that's why there aren't more people promoting them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

Clinton (13 March 2014)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    As an aside, "site flipping" seems to have lost popularity amongst the guru crowd...
    I noticed that as well. Went to the Flippa blog the other day and there's post after post after post with not a single comment. In the past there was no shortage of takers - people commenting about buying/selling websites or about opportunities with creating/selling/buying turkeys (or is that turnkeys?). They wanted their name seen, they wanted links to their sites. But now, nothing. Nada, zilch.

If the shine has worn off where does that leave our friends who run various businesses, blogs and services around this topic?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    David Gass and Chris Yates (both members here, I believe) are still promoting Flippa via ShareASale. http://www.flipwebsites.com/ The site looks old but it's still fairly prominent in the SERPs and the Flippa link is still active. If they'd wanted to disassociate themselves from being affiliated with Flippa they've had plenty of time to do it. I guess they're quite happy to leave things as they are. Perhaps they forgot about it, but they've disabled the various links they have to KillerFlippingSecrets, although there's still a lot of promotional creatives on their sites for the KFS course.

Edit - this was a reply to Clinton before the later posts came in. The link to Flippa on flipwebsites is still active. I've no idea whether or not it's still being tracked by ShareASale.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I noticed that as well. Went to the Flippa blog the other day and there's post after post after post with not a single comment. In the past there was no shortage of takers - people commenting about buying/selling websites or about opportunities with creating/selling/buying turkeys (or is that turnkeys?). They wanted their name seen, they wanted links to their sites. But now, nothing. Nada, zilch.

If the shine has worn off where does that leave our friends who run various businesses, blogs and services around this topic?
    I would put the lack of activity on the blog due to the poor quality content that has been going up recently. Most of the posts don't even make sense and are written by people who clearly have no experience of the platform or business. When Ophelie was around, the blog content was generally quite decent. The posts of more recent years have been more informative and unoriginal (the type that won't attract many comments anyway) rather than the more hyped up posts of earlier years which are bound to attract more comments. As Flippa has been around for a while now, the vast majority of "original" thought has just been rehashed from the original thought leaders (I see things myself and Bryan wrote about in KillerFlippingSecrets 4 years ago rehashed all the time by various "gurus") and I'm sure we aren't the only ones - Chis and David have probably experienced the same. What worked 4 years ago still worked today, and those fundamentals will never change (especially as Flippa is largely the same platform).

I expect most of the people running blogs and services in the niche have moved onto the newest trends. I don't really keep up with that market but I expect it's things like Kindle/apps/podcasting. As we all discussed many years ago, "site flipping" was a tiny niche. When the majority of courses failed for people, the hype died down and everyone moved onto something else. Site flipping was never going to be a sustainable model for the average person - it was far too complex with too many moving parts, too many scams, and very quickly saturated. That's not to see people still can't make money "flipping" sites - but it's really settled down to a core of experts and a number of buyers who go quietly about their business making hundreds of thousands a year without so much as a WSO

The majority of people recommending Flippa these days aren't particularly large industry players, but they have definitely reached critical mass. You know your earlier marketing has been successful when people blindly recommend you without (I suspect) ever having used your services. Promoting Flippa as an affiliate also doesn't make much economical sense for most people - you only get paid one time on a seller's listing fees and most people only have one site to sell anyway, so I doubt there are many people who have ever made more than a few hundred bucks as affiliates.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

Clinton (13 March 2014)

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    I don't know a lot about website buying and selling, but I'm sure I could have come up with a half-decent article for their blog. Like you and others have done. The problem is I could never get a guarantee that my article would be published without editorial interference. I'm heartbroken. Oh, well, life goes on
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Thanks
    It's been a year now.

Does anyone know of any sites that have affiliate links to Flippa? I checked some of the usual suspects who recommend "flipping" and who used to send visitors to Flippa but their links don't seem to be affiliate links.
    Our affiliate program has been put on hold for now, we're looking at retuning it and relaunching it in a couple of months.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tbcooke For This Useful Post:

Clinton (15 March 2014)

+ Reply to Thread