+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Flippa "evil personified"?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Is Flippa "evil personified"?

I don't know, is it? I've never used Flippa. The reason I'm asking is because I received an email from a respected member on here - I'm signed up for it - and he asks that question.

Paraphrased: He suggests that those who stand to profit most from increased activity on Flippa are the same folks who spend time telling others that Flippa is "evil personified".

What brought that on?

Apparently Flippa is creating a new buzz in the industry and this will be good for us. I don't suppose it has anything at all to do with what appears to be a recent publicity drive by Flippa to encourage more people to get into buying websites.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Paraphrased: He suggests that those who stand to profit most from increased activity on Flippa are the same folks who spend time telling others that Flippa is "evil personified".
    Why would someone diss something they stand to profit from?

I am fairly critical of Flippa as I know more about them than most people - a lot, lot more. But I don't stand to profit from either praising or criticising them unlike a lot of the Flippa fan boys out there some of whom know the score but pretend anyway.

I wouldn't go so far as to call them evil personified. But they have, directly or indirectly/intentionally or unintentionally, caused a lot of damage to the buying/selling of websites and to the cheating of thousands of victims. There is a cabal of marketers whose interests are aligned with Flippa's and who support Flippa's attempts to entice unsuitable buyers to the marketplace, encourage them to overpay for sites or otherwise fool them into taking risks (like relying on the "verified traffic" and "verified revenue" nonsense). Some of these people realise what they're doing is wrong and some don't. But all of them benefit from it.

There are members here who love Flippa and for whom Flippa is essential to the conduct of their business. Good luck to them. Maybe they could tell us what they do like about Flippa, because even I admit, it's not all bad.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Kay (13 February 2013), MarkB (12 February 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hi Kay, Clinton

That sounds like a line from the A-List!

It was a little tongue-in-cheek as is everything I write on topic, but my point is there's a lot of people who benefit from Flippa that spend a lot of time, tweets and posts pointing out what they're doing badly on the one hand whilst profiting from the new people who come to the industry on the other.

The list of people who indirectly benefit includes IM blogs, forums (...Clinton - relax - I mean those with some kind of revenue model :-) ), brokers and even apps like myself. For example, if Flippa spend $x dollars on marketing and some web designer who has just discovered that they can buy and sell sites find them and starts looking for more info then there's a chance that somewhere down the line they could become a member of FF and I'll profit. i.e. you don't have to be listing sites on there to benefit from what they're doing, regardless of whether or not they're doing it for their own good.

Just my two cents!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flipfilter For This Useful Post:

Kay (13 February 2013)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Hi Justin

That sounds like a line from the A-List!
    Right first time! You have won a coconut. (But you have to come to my house to collect it.)

As someone who monitors Flippa's activities, would you say it does seem as though they're currently on a big marketing drive to attract new buyers?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I wouldn't say I track what they're doing marketing-wise but I'd certainly say I've noticed them around the web much more recently - especially in non web acquisition circles and heavily in the domaining industry.

Part of it is I guess down to their marketing person Ophelie, who is probably one of their most effective hires they've made to date, as she manages to get everywhere where there's discussion, either spreading the word, helping people out or putting out fires.

btw if that coconut involves an all expenses paid trip to Thailand I'm in!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flipfilter For This Useful Post:

Kay (13 February 2013)

+ Reply to Thread