+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you get your infographics?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

How do you get your infographics?

Clinton has some really good ones, and lots of other sites illustrate their articles with great infographics too. Mostly I just buy stock photos when I'm looking for eye candy. On my food blog I usually take the photos myself. I could see how some of our sites could really benefit from infographics but I don't have much idea of how to go about creating them.

Obviously I could go onto a freelancer site and find someone who's skilled at doing it. I guess I'd have to draw with pen and paper what was wanted. How else would they be able to get the ideas out of my head and create a digital image?

Do you use infographics? If so, do you create them yourself? How? Do you outsource the task? I'm just curious to know how people go about getting these things.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    One of my fav tools is a screen cap, with win7 they finally included one called snipping tool.
    Normally I take screen caps of stuff I want and then in paint I make my notes put it all in a word processor and outsource that.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (23 February 2013), Kay (23 February 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grynge View Post
    One of my fav tools is a screen cap, with win7 they finally included one called snipping tool.
    Normally I take screen caps of stuff I want and then in paint I make my notes put it all in a word processor and outsource that.
    Love that snipping tool with Win7 use it a lot.

I came across this site recently, says its only in Beta but very nice and easy to use http://www.easel.ly/

Thanks
    Powerpoint can be used to create infographics. Here is a post from HubSpot that details how and even offers a template to get started:

http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6...-template.aspx (hopefully linking out here is not an issue - not my blog but thought it was germane to the thread.

If creating infographics for SEO benefits, make sure to make it easy for other to embed by including a window with an embed bode that can be copied and pasted into the blogs/websites of those who want to embed the infographic. This also make sure that you have the right alt tags and that the link back to your site is do follow by putting you, the one who invested in creating the infographic, in the drivers seat and controlling how the links generated are created.

The one caveat from an SEO benefit perspective is that there have been some discussion recently that Google is looking at devaluing infographics links which means that if SEO is the primary driver for investing in the infographic creation (your time or money), then you might want to reconsider the investment.

Make sure to include your branding and links in infographic so that regardless of where the infographic ends up being embedded that viewers recognize your business/brand as the source.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ebizroi For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (30 April 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Does anyone have a good outsourcer for creating infographics on Fiverr or seo jerks that you would be willing to share ?

thanks in advance

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I've always outsourced my info graphics. And you wont find anyone worth a damn at it on fiverr. Seo jerks .. I'm assuming you mean clerks? ;p

You get what you pay for. If you want one that is detailed, sharp looking and converts, you need a master. And you wont find those on those crappy sell yourself sites. I expect to pay $200+ for one - and frequently do. Found my guy through the wickedfire forums. You might find someone on eLance that has some skill - since that place isnt price restrictive. Ask to browse their portfolios first. If you view a bunch of their graphics and dont feel the urge to buy anything, move on till you do

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomainNameNinja For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (30 April 2013), Kay (30 March 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    we have used oDesk to outsource infographics and found some very talented graphic artists with tons of experience. For long form infographics we have paid about $400-500, and for shorter ones we have been in the $200-300 range. If you request portfolios and examples of their work, you can get a good feel for their talent.

Recently we took one of our short infographics and had it converted to a video so we could put it on YouTube and it is doing better as a video with much more traffic. Now we will always have that in mind from the beginning and have the graphic artist do the infographic and the video creation.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djilm For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (30 April 2013), grynge (29 April 2013), Kay (10 April 2013)

Thanks
    There is this website: http://visual.ly I never used their services but you can find templates and fill them with your own statistics. You can also visit their marketplace to find a designer that can create you an infographic.

+ Reply to Thread