+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideas for brand building

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Ideas for brand building

We already have an excellent thread, which grynge started, about building traffic. Could we create something similar for building a brand?

Brand building isn't something I've consciously set out to do but I suppose I must have done some of it along the way, albeit inadvertently. Perhaps the domain name itself is a good starting point. If you are your brand or trying to become one, I guess you'd want yourname.com. But if you're selling products, services, or even information, then how do you get your business name known?

Would you be using the same methods as you would to build traffic? SEO, social media, other methods of telling people about your site? I give away pens with the site's URL on the clip. I'd thought of that as being promotion (telling people about the site's existence) rather than branding.

Does anyone here make any specific efforts to build their brand?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    This is a timely question for me Kay, at the moment I am entering into a new venture. We have sole Australian distributor rights for a brand of product but we don't own the name or trademark, we have an agreement set in contract but what exactly will that protect us from if it comes to an expensive fight in the courts?

We have (with written permission) www.Brand.com.au www.BrandKeyword.com.au we also have www.Keyword.com.au

So my dilemma is do I spend time and money building up Brand or BrandKeyword or the same time and effort into just Keyword

My fear (and it shows my pessimistic side) is what happens if we spend money and time building up the Brand and then we have a falling out or they wish to bring the company to Australia?

Would the question change if we owned the Brand? Actually I don't think it would because we have the keyword domain so the question would be very similar do we spend money and time on the brand or the keyword? A much simpler question to answer if I didn't own the keyword domain for sure.

So taking a look at the brand and it has some positives to it, fairly easy to say and spell, the brand suits the product and emphasizes the quality of the product. So really we could go with any of the domains and it would work quite well. So what are we actually going to do? Well my best option I think is to use www.Keyword.com.au as the domain and just brand it Brand/Keyword this also allows at a later stage to either change brands or add additional brands to the selling range. Change the logo from Brand/Keyword to just Keyword.

I learnt from one of my old domains which was a mouthful to say and spell. So in that instance we use a 3 letter domain for all advertising and brand building and forwarded the domain to the full domain, this way we could also keep track of various advertising campaign success rates, and I learnt they don't convert very well to online traffic but thats a story for another thread.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (27 February 2013), Kay (27 February 2013)

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    We've slowly built up brand recognition for a small range of clothing products, on a tightly-controlled budget. Getting the occasional ad or advertorial in an appropriate glossy mag has definitely helped. The trouble is that branding is really the same as memorising, exceot that you're trying to get someone else to do the memorising. It works by using repetition at suitable intervals to keep an image and the associated concept in the easily-accessed part of the brain. The sledgehammer approach is to pay for regular visibility - which is cost effective if you're as big as Coke, but unfortunately it doesn't scale downwards. Below a certain size, it costs more than you can afford. The only answer I can offer is to work on getting exposure from the big guys.

We've tried selling on Amazon, Google and other online markets, with next to zero success. The trouble is that you aren't allowed enough scope to differentiate your product from the other 100 or so in the same category. However, I'm beginning to wonder whether just having the presence (i.e. a bunch of products in the market window) might be an effective way to get the brand visible, even if it doesn't lead to direct sales. Has anyone here any experience or views on that? I was wondering about creating special variants of products, with big logos on them, just for using in Amazon, etc.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chabrenas For This Useful Post:

grynge (27 February 2013), Kay (27 February 2013)

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabrenas View Post
    Getting the occasional ad or advertorial in an appropriate glossy mag has definitely helped.
    How would you say it helped, has it converted through to online sales? Did it convert to phone sales? Did you do any tracking?

My partner in this venture is very old school and made money from heavy advertising campaigns before the internet was around. So his first idea was to start offline media advertising in rural areas (which is where a lot of Australian online customers come from) I am hoping that I have convinced him that building the brand may not be as beneficial as building the domain in the long run. My first idea was small targeted cpc campaign along with some online advertorials/blog posts, and talking with appropriate groups about some contests giving some of the product away. If I can get enough of this niche talking about the product I hope it might become a bit self sustaining.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    How would you say it helped, has it converted through to online sales? Did it convert to phone sales? Did you do any tracking?
    Grynge, you're right - I cannot quantify the effect properly. How would you measure brand awareness? By getting someone to do a survey? From time to time some fashion blogger picks up on our products, but we haven't always asked how they found out about us. We suspected it was most likely to have been by doing Google (or other) searches on the product type, e.g. 'french berets'.

After each glossy article or review there was a spike in sales for a month or so, from new locations, and someone from an online market got in touch. We're talking quite small beer here - well under GBP10,000 a month, even in peak season. We haven't tried buying local advertising, except for a couple of years of running a stall at a regional fair years ago. A very small number of major cities are the only locations with sales clustered enough to represent a target, so we get a better return from addressing faithful clients with the occasional promotional e-mail (but that isn't a way to find new business).

It sounds as if you are selling an internationally-recognised brand, so maybe your projected volumes are quite high and the branding ad spend is for an add-on to existing brand awareness rather than starting from scratch. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience that would help you judge which is the most effective way to spend a given budget, but spending it entirely online doesn't feel right.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    I'd say starting of to get trust. To start gaining trust, you should narrow it down from those people who will most likely trust you to the people who will trust you less.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    The choices are whether to use a keyword domain, a brand domain, or a brand-keyword domain.

There are people making money on Amazon by exploiting the fact that a lot of Amazon sellers do not understand the use of keywords - so carefully selected keywords in a product description on Amazon means their products rise to the top in Amazon search. When your products reach the top of Amazon search, you can use that to exploit a brand - selling a limited range of products on Amazon results in searches for the brand, looking for a wider range of products, which are (of course) to be found on the brand website.

That said, the ways of getting traffic are evolving and diversifying. In the past, people focused on SEO because the same methodology worked for the majority of search engines, and was cost-effective.

We now have to consider Google traffic, and non-Google traffic. Of course, non-Google traffic breaks down to a range of distinct sources, and each one demands a unique method of exploitation.

If you want to use Google, it is evident that your site should be regularly updated and expanded with factual content, if Google is to like it. To some extent you can cheat, if you're big enough - Amazon lifts pages from Wikipedia wholesale to appease Google, under the creative commons licensing doodah, and sometimes those pages outrank the originals in Google search.
    For a sales site which doesn't change much, placing "how to" videos on Youtube is probably the best bit of Google that can be exploited. Using G+ circles to increase popularity is also possible with a bit of ingenuity.

The largest non-Google sources of traffic are Bing, Yahoo, and Facebook, but there are plenty of others, ranging from Squiddo to individual blog sites. Some will only be useful for a small range of things, eg. pushing pop concert tickets on Twitter is a good idea, selling fire extinguishers on Twitter would be hard work.

The point I'm making is that the nature of the site and sources of traffic have to be considered before deciding which way to go.

For Bing/Yahoo, the keyword domain would be best. For using shifty methods with Amazon, and using Facebook, G+ etc. the brand domain is probably best, and would probably do better on Google search (because keyword links would be deliberately devalued).

It's a lot of hard work, but I think the best option is to use all three domains, but build the site on the brand domain. The other two domains using keywords could be built as "skeleton sites". You'd use an identical site structure for all three, but the pages on the keyword sites are all 301 redirects to corresponding pages on the brand site. You can set up the redirects from cPanel - don't ask me how, I've forgotten. I just remember that it is fairly easy.
    Last edited by Kay; 3 October 2013 at 5:53 am. Reason: Promoted to front page article

10. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Kay (3 October 2013)

+ Reply to Thread