+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to Purchase .org and .net Domains for Low Prices

Dormant Account
    Thanks

Where to Purchase .org and .net Domains for Low Prices

I notice a lot of promotional pricing for the registering of .com domains but can't seem to find many deals on the other 2 top level domains. I have been looking primarily at the big Registrars: Godaddy, Name.com, Namecheap and 1&1. Are these domains not normally discounted by those providers? If not, are there any other credible registrars I should look at? Thanks!

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    We don't really buy a lot of .orgs, but the last time I was looking for one, NameCheap were offering some special offers. If you bought a .com, then they gave you a .org free. Similarly, if you bought a .org, they gave you a .info free. Of course that offer is over now. The point is that it's worth keeping your eyes peeled for special offers like this. The catch? First of all they'll be hoping you pay to renew with them when the domain comes up for renewal. That's OK - you can take it or leave it or maybe even sell the domain you don't need before it expires.

I would only go for an offer such as this if it was a domain registrar I already respected. If it was one that I didn't trust, then I'd be more sceptical about why they were trying to use 'freebies' to entice people to use their services as a registrar. Cheap or "easy" now could mean a lot of problems later on.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

MarkB (18 March 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Update: After searching like a madman, I ended up registering two .org domains for 1 yr at $5.99 each, including whois protection, using a coupon code at Namecheap. The promo code is "buy the domain" and applies to: .com/net/org/biz/info/mobi Not sure when it expires but I can confirm it is the lowest price (today) for a .org from a reputable registrar.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    Update: After searching like a madman, I ended up registering two .org domains for 1 yr at $5.99 each, including whois protection, using a coupon code at Namecheap. The promo code is "buy the domain" and applies to: .com/net/org/biz/info/mobi Not sure when it expires but I can confirm it is the lowest price (today) for a .org from a reputable registrar.

Correction: Promo code is "buythedomain" no spaces.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    You may not find .99 promos for those extensions like you do for the .com - but allot of registrars still run promos for them. Just keep your eyes peeled and lookup GoDaddy coupons from time to time.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    A cheap offer only gets you a domain for one year. You want to look at the cost for five years if you're going to keep the domains.

What I look for with domains is a good price for renewal, including privacy. The best deals at the moment are Dynadot ($2 for privacy) and Namecheap ($2.88 for privacy), to my mind.

One registrar to definitely avoid is Yahoo. They charge "normal" fees on your first contract (1-5years), then charge about $50 a year when renewal time comes around.

GoDaddy charge about $6 a year for their privacy, and they're only really cheap if you buy in industrial quantities.

On Namecheap's birthday each year (I think it is around 24th January) you get cheap / free transfers in, so if you want to take advantage of their reasonable renewal rates, that's the day to aim for.

+ Reply to Thread