+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buiding rather than buying and selling

Dormant Account
    Thanks

Buiding rather than buying and selling

Hi All,

I joined about 2 years ago. I introduced myself back then. My situation hasn't changed much. In the past 2 years my wife and I started a business selling and performing giant soap bubbles (am I allowed to post the url here?). Anyway things are going so so and if anything I have less time now.

What I would like to know is whether there are any forums comparable to this one that focus on building websites from scratch rather than buying and selling? I like this forum for what it is, but I don't really have any skills or much knowledge yet, so even if I had the money to buy a site, I wouldn't know where to start. For a total beginner like myself the amount of contradicting information out there is mostly overwhelming and confusing. Is there any resource that explains clearly the essentials to newbies and provides a clear step by step process for getting from nothing to 200 - 500 per month? Also, I am aware of lots of tools (free and paid for) that can help with keyword search, seo, etc. etc. but the more i read, the more my head spins. Is there anything that provides all this all in one place?

What I really need is a system that I can follow with support that will teach me step by step about choosing a niche, building, developing and monetizing a website. At least the first time round. After that, if I'm still in the game, I would consider buying and developing websites that are up and running.
    Does anyone know of a system with a lot of support - almost holding my hand type of support?

One thing I should mention again, is that for the time being I don't intend to start with learning html. Any resources would have to be wysiwyg-based (is that the correct term?)

Thanks for your time.

May your bubbles never burst

Linus

Established Member
    Thanks
    As far as wysiwyg type resources for building sites, a good place to start would be something like Wordpress or a similar cms/blogging type solution. Whilst knowledge of html can help when you are building with wordpress, you don't need to have any. You can get access to customised themes (pre-done designs) that are free, or premium that provide all sorts of different functionality and designs, as well as various plugins that allow you to expand the functionality of the site too. I can't really comment on other solutions (like Joomla) outside of wordpress because I don't have any experience of them and whilst there are limitations of going down this route, if you are a complete beginner then it allows you to get a site up and running quickly and focus on the content, rather than the technical side of things.
    Plus the support resources and documentation for wordpress are fairly extensive.

As for a 'system' on how to build a site and make money from it, well there are lots out there that claim to do just that, whether any of them are actually effective or not, is a very different matter...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cash ninja For This Useful Post:

Kay (19 March 2013)

Thanks
    There are a ton of forums and other types of resources out there that explain how to build websites. As far as forums go, I'd ask what type of website you're planning to build, since I'd point you to different places depending on what you're building. For example, if you were planning to build a forum I'd point you to a forum like The Admin Zone, but if you were building a blog or an ecommerce website then that forum would be totally useless to you. I personally got my start at Sitepoint's forum, but every time I look in there nowadays there just seems to be a bunch of people from India posting "Hi, I agree" type posts without much meat and potatoes. Good luck with your endeavor.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cash ninja
    As for a 'system' on how to build a site and make money from it, well there are lots out there that claim to do just that, whether any of them are actually effective or not, is a very different matter...
    Hear! Hear! There are loads and many of them are expensive too. Most of them offer simple step-by-step recipes or blueprints which are "guaranteed" to help you towards making money online.

Linus, have a dig in our MMO forum to get an idea of what these are all about. A heck of a lot of them are out of date despite their claims of being updated to be Panda-proofed or some other nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by linus
    What I really need is a system that I can follow with support that will teach me step by step about choosing a niche, building, developing and monetizing a website.
    It sounds as though you already have a good idea of how to approach this. So why not take a step by step approach on here. Ask a question about choosing a niche. Then ask about your site build. And so on. I guess it helps if you have some kind of road map so you can see where you're headed. We do have some threads about that on here but I couldn't find them right now. Looking ahead, maybe it's worth having some idea about how you plan to monetise the site (affiliate marketing, AdSense, or selling products, etc) before you finally decide on which niche to choose.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    Hi Linus and welcome back to EP. It sounds as though you and I are pretty much in the same boat in terms on newness and having decided to build from scratch with little/no knowledge. I can tell you that after a bit the spinning does slow down. I think I've even had a few bits of clarity in the few weeks I've been on the EP forum.

Once I allowed myself time to read through the various posts and threads (and in many cases re-read) I have discovered that there are many step by step by step lists and checklists as well as listings of safe/recommended resources to check out for things like hosting and domain registration. One unique thing in my opinion here is that the members often share their experience about what to not do or what to watch out for - invaluable info for a beginner like me. I've not found that anywhere else.

I believe everything that you mentioned you are looking for is here - but there is def a time factor. The spinning eventually stops.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hipmrc For This Useful Post:

Kay (19 March 2013)

Dormant Account
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Linus,
    I'm actually also mostly interested in building sites. I only came to EP b/c I've started buying sites in the past year. Anyway, something like Ed Dale's 30 Day Challenge (challenge.co) is a free resource that takes you step by step through a series of videos and shows you the do's and don'ts of building a profitable site. I went through it a few years back when I was green behind the ears and learned a lot.

A partner and I are going to launch a site that shows how to build a viable website. We're debating on whether or not to include a private "Basecamp" type of setup where each member can ask questions and get feedback on their site. I wanted to offer it at the $9/month price point, but my partner refuses to offer hand holding for anything less than $95/month given potentially how much work would be involved. We'll probably end up compromising and going w/ a private forum for the $9/month plan. I'm not promoting my service here (indeed, it doesn't even exist yet), I just wanted to give you the other side on why such services are rarely available at an affordable price.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    It's affordable, the people running it are not BS merchants (they are members here and they are not short of a shilling or two), and the reason I have the hesitation blues when speaking of it is that I haven't tried it for myself. Go look at buying and selling websites ( http://www.buyingandsellingwebsites.com ) and make your own mind up. That's a long front page, work down it ... They teach building, flipping and "buying to hold" websites, for the affordable price of $17/month, minimum $77 up front. The way I see things, these guys have latched on to the fact that teaching people to make money is more lucrative in the short term than trying to put sites together. That said, until they invested in this site they were typical web entrepreneurs, buying up sites to keep for profit and revenue. Looking at the publicity freebies, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that David in particular is enjoying what they are doing, and treating it as a hobby that makes him money while helping others to achieve. WTH I'm tempted to try it myself, if their knowledge of current SE optimism is absolutely up to date it could save me a lot of time. No guarantees except that these people are not BS merchants.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    With the skill set we have available on EP, I don't see why we couldn't collaborate to create such a thing too. We would need to charge for such a course (just as everyone else does), and the fees brought in would give us the funds to spend money on acquiring yet more content and support.

I'm willing to project manage this. Please give me a shout, either here or by PM, if you'd like to be involved in such a collaboration and say what you could bring to the table.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hi Linus,

I can't really help with regards to the building side, but I can help with monetisation. [Two self-promotional links removed.]

Strangely, most people spend months learning how to build, decide to build something, THEN realise the model is all wrong and they've little chance of making money.

My advice is pick your battles wisely. Study what's currently selling on public marketplaces because you have free access to many things about their business model, like what products make the most revenue, how they attract visitors and how they maximise profit from each one. If I had a pound for everyone who has built a blog in a niche that's got no commercial appeal (myself included) or built another directory / news site with no hope of making money I'd have at least ....63.

Wordpress is the easy part, so figure out the complex stuff first.

Best of Luck

Justin
    Last edited by Kay; 21 March 2013 at 12:49 pm. Reason: Self-promotion removed

12. The Following User Says Thank You to flipfilter For This Useful Post:

daniele (23 March 2013)

New Member Mentor JimWaller is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    As cash ninja said, WordPress is a good place to start learning how to build a site without having to know HTML. As it was designed for blogging, it is easy to get content up quickly without a lot of fuss.

The downside of WordPress is that because it was designed for blogging, it performs some tasks with less finesse than other content management systems (platforms as they are called) that were designed specifically to be content management systems. I've played around a little bit with Joomla in the past, and it has a much steeper learning curve than WordPress. It also has a number of plugins and themes available, but it is generally harder to learn. However, it performs some tasks much more easily and quickly than WordPress does.

I personally recommend learning WordPress before Joomla, because of its popularity and ease of use. After you're comfortable with WP, you can branch out into learning other things like Joomla, HTML, PHP or CSS (I've provided links to free tutorials for all four of them as well as a tutorial for WordPress. NOTE: I'm not trying to promote siteground, they just have a couple of decent tutorials. They are easy to follow with screen captures.) The tutorials should help point you in the right direction of the mechanics of building a site.

If you are interested in WordPress, you should know there is a difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org. The .com is a lot like blogger.com the .org is where you can download the core program to upload on your own hosting. The .org also has a lot of free plugins and themes to make WP more flexible.

I hope I've helped you a little bit with the mechanics of sitebuilding. There are a lot of members here who probably know more than I do, so don't be afraid to ask questions if you get stuck. Good luck!

Kay, your idea sounds good to me. I'm happy to help where I can. As you know, I've got a WIDE variety of areas of expertise including using WP and of course the art side of things. You know how to contact me.

Jim
    Help bring Janice home My mother-in-law was hospitalized while on vacation (holiday) We're trying to bring her home.

+ Reply to Thread