+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEO for Bing?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

SEO for Bing?

Almost everything I've read about SEO seems to revolve around G. But Bing seems to be increasing its market share of search traffic. Therefore it might be worth looking ahead to see how to rank well in Bing. In my own very limited experience of SEO for Bing, I was trying to get my site listed and someone advised (on another forum), not to worry about it because as long as it was listed in G, then Bing would follow suit soon. Sure enough, that's what happened.

These days it looks as though the quality of search results between G and Bing is growing further apart. I'm wondering if it's worth concentrating on ranking well in Bing now. But how? Just the usual - good content, good user experience, etc? I've not seen anything around (yet) about trying to game their algo.

Is anyone here doing SEO specifically for Bing? Care to share how?

Also, is it true that a lot of computers bought by newbies come with G automatically loaded as their home page? If so, that would be a huge advantage to G in retaining its market share.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Working on SEO and Bing today

First register at Bing Webmaster Tools
    Verify your sites there.
    Submit your sitemaps.

You can also check Bing Index Explorer tool to see how Bing sees your site and your content.

Established Member
    Thanks
    My understanding is that some of the less sophisticated, brute force methods of seo are still effective with Bing, whereas they are likely to get your in trouble with Google. So for example, emds, chucking a load of links at your site (more links = better as far as Bing goes (no pun intended)).

Firefox default search page is Google. When you install/setup IE you get to choose your default search provider (or at least you do in the EU).

Honestly, I don't think Bing has enough traction in most territories to go after it specifically. If you are going to go after search traffic, Google should still be the priority with Yahoo/Bing traffic being a secondary bonus, rather than a main focus of your efforts. All imho of course.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cash ninja For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (3 January 2014), Kay (23 March 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    I rank better on Bing these days than Google. If you read through their webmaster tools blog, you can grasp how they look at things. Like said above, they still value some of the things Google doesnt any more.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    I'm not catering to Gargyl and my significant if not very remunerative sites still rank on YahBing, even if Gargyl regards them as suspicious because they don't carry ads and no-one makes a profit.

I've had a poor experience trying to use Bing webmasters, and I don't want to discuss that. There is one independent alternative provider of free off site monitorng. I can't remember the name. On Monday I can remind myself. Try to beat me to the answer, it begins with C ...

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Well for me i really don't think that search engines has enough grip in most areas to go after it particularly. If you are going to go after search visitors, Yahoo/Bing visitors being an extra reward, rather than a primary concentrate of your time and effort.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ImnesiaStevin View Post
    Well for me i really don't think that search engines has enough grip in most areas to go after it particularly. If you are going to go after search visitors, Yahoo/Bing visitors being an extra reward, rather than a primary concentrate of your time and effort.
    I strongly agree with you. Working with Yahoo/Bing can be only addition to the Google in order to get serious success.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    in your opinion bing will be great and important as google in near future? I think no search engine can be replace with google...beacuse google always have new plans and methods for internet searching

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    It's quite possible that search engines, including Google and Bing, may lose their almost-monopolistic hold over search such as we know it today. Already we've seen evidence to suggest that Amazon has overtaken Google in terms of consumer searches. Other consumers are also increasingly getting their information via social sites. Some people are moving away from using G because they're fed up of the search results, eg paid adverts, favoured sites and personalisation of results. Some webmasters are moving away from viewing G as a primary source of traffic.

Yes, Google is still king of search to many people, but it's not the only way to get traffic, and - just as history has shown us - every mighty empire eventually falls.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregorySavanton View Post
    I strongly agree with you. Working with Yahoo/Bing can be only addition to the Google in order to get serious success.
    That is not the truth. There are lots of other places from which you can get traffic. The problem is that you need an individual approach for each traffic source, and it takes time and effort to learn to drive traffic from each source.

There was a historic bias towards getting traffic from the major search engines because the same tactics could be employed to drive traffic from them.

Google decided to change their assessment process to discount the value of sites that they think are manipulating their algorithms. That means traffic tactics that once worked for all the search engines don't work for Google, and using those tactics may be disadvantageous IF YOU WANT TRAFFIC FROM GOOGLE.

If you aim at getting Google traffic, your "approved Google" tactics will do nothing to discourage traffic from most other sources - but they will also put you at the mercy of Google. Many people who were making money a couple of years ago have been hit in the wallet. Having found out the folly of relying on Google traffic, they are exploring other traffic sources.

It is becoming harder and harder to get to the top of Google search. The salient fact is that their search results don't appear to find sites of better quality, and they are still in many cases favouring large and established sites full of the same old drivel and adverts. In other words, there's not much new stuff showing in Google search - just sites moving up the rankings as the B&W creatures cut out the sites they do not like.

It is getting so hard to please Google that the effort of looking at other ways to drive traffic is becoming more and more worthwhile. That must be why people are doing it ...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (4 January 2014), JimWaller (5 January 2014), Kay (3 January 2014)

+ Reply to Thread