+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Personal List Of "Go To" Wordpress Plugins For New Sites

Dormant Account
    Thanks

My Personal List Of "Go To" Wordpress Plugins For New Sites

I've been setting up quite a few wordpress websites the last few weeks. I have put together a list of my favorites, ones that have been bug free, displayed correctly, and done the job like a champ. After having to sort through and test dozens of plugins for each site function I want, these are what I have settled on. Figure it might help some of you just getting started to skip ahead to the more enjoyable parts of site building. Not all of the functionality represented is needed for every site. But at one time or another I've needed them.

• All in One SEO Pack - makes sure your pages are optimized, your meta tags are valid and gives you various other abilities.
    • All in One SEO Category Pages - Same as above but is the add on for category pages (not part of the default pack)
    • SEO Search Terms Tagging 2 - keeps track of what terms bring people to your site and adds them to your page, thus increasing your longtail optimization. Will also repost old posts for you that haven't received search traffic.
    • Related Posts Via Categories - great for internal linking juice and also encourages additional readership
    • 404 redirection - takes any broken links or stray visitors and redirects them to your homepage. Eliminates need for 404 page.
    • Google XML Sitemaps - this is the only one I've found that doesn't have errors when generating sitemaps to include new posts.
    • WP Super Cache - makes your site load faster
    • RSS Footer - lets you add a footer at the bottom of each entry in your rss feed. Handy for adding your site link, so when rss aggregators/readers et all grab your feed and post it, you get a link out of it.
    • WP Slimstat - because for most of my sites I don't bring google analytics anywhere near them, accurate numbers and a good substitute if you aren't needing the indepth data google provides.
    • All in One Favicon - lets you have a favicon even while using themes that don't support them
    • Growmap Anti Spam Bot Plugin - this plugin uses a clever trick that cut down 95% of the user registration/comment spam I was getting. Used it ever since.
    • FBF Facebook Page Feed Widget - Shows posts from your FB fan page
    • NextGEN Facebook OG - makes sure you have the proper open graph stuff without dealing with the complicatedness {that is soo a word}
    • Nextscripts: Social Networks Auto Poster - I love this one. Takes a little to get all your socials plugged in, but once set up automatically posts your new blog entries to your social profiles for you. There is a paid version that lets you post to multiple accounts (free one gives you one of each social but say you wanted to post to 5 different twitter accounts at once you'd need pro)
    • STRX Simple Social Share Widget - gives you social button badges with counts in a widget box.
    • CommentLuv - good plugin for bloggers who are networking with other bloggers. When someone comments on your post, it shows their pic and also the title of their own last blog post by their name. Helps make your visitors establish their credibility a little faster too.

Hope that helps you noobies - and if any of our more seasoned members have some recommendations feel free to share

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DomainNameNinja For This Useful Post:

Brassneck (3 April 2013), Chabrenas (2 April 2013), golles (30 March 2013), hipmrc (26 April 2013), JimWaller (19 April 2013), Kay (30 March 2013), MarkB (30 March 2013), SecondToNone (25 September 2014), XDG (1 April 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Thanks. How would you compare all in one seo to seo by Yoast? Also, do you have any suggestions on security/anti hacking plugins? I have seen recommendations for Wordfence, Anti-Malware and WP Security Scan.
    Last edited by MarkB; 30 March 2013 at 11:18 am.

Established Member
    Thanks
    SEO Booster is good.

WP Super Cache - make sure it is setup right or its pointless. Depending on the site setup, make sure it is set to refresh cache on new post published.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (2 April 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    Thanks. How would you compare all in one seo to seo by Yoast? Also, do you have any suggestions on security/anti hacking plugins? I have seen recommendations for Wordfence, Anti-Malware and WP Security Scan.
    I haven't had any issues with security yet so haven't researched any. Sounds like you are further along that path than me. Seo by yoast has a lot of the same functionality - but I stopped using it when I found all the back links to his site the plugin sneaks in.

@Rob I'll take a look at SEO booster. Not familiar with that one. Good advice on WP cache, I forgot to mention that part.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DomainNameNinja For This Useful Post:

MarkB (31 March 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DomainNameNinja View Post
    I haven't had any issues with security yet so haven't researched any. Sounds like you are further along that path than me. Seo by yoast has a lot of the same functionality - but I stopped using it when I found all the back links to his site the plugin sneaks in.

@Rob I'll take a look at SEO booster. Not familiar with that one. Good advice on WP cache, I forgot to mention that part.
    I have also heard seo by yoast doesn't handle the latest version of wordpress very well.

On security, I know some members here have had their sites hacked, so I am going to be preemptive on this matter. The ones I mentioned above I have read about, but like anything else on the internet, I treat recommendations with a degree of skepticism. If anyone has advice on reliable Wordpress security plugins, I am all ears.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Limit Login Attempts is one plugin that should be installed always.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delta4 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (2 April 2013)

Dormant Account
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    SEO by Yoast has RSS footer built-in. The social networks auto-poster looks nice, will have to check that out.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Very cool I'll have to look into those. As a noobie I've been trying out different plugins... it's been pretty hit or miss so it's great to get some recommendations from someone with more experience.

Have you had any luck with e-commerce plugins?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    I have good experiences with Better WP Security. I'm using it on most of my WP sites now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by delta4 View Post
    Limit Login Attempts is one plugin that should be installed always.
    We use Login Lockdown on all our sites - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...wn/.Hasn't been updated for a while - not sure it needs to be - however it works perfectly and in fact so well I have locked myself out of my sites temporarily many a time!

+ Reply to Thread