+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do flippers purchase sites or build them?

Trial Member
    Thanks

Do flippers purchase sites or build them?

I have a site that sells pre-built automated Amazon Stores, Made For Adsense websites and Autoblogs and I was wondering if I should take the time out to chase down flippers who might be interested in purchasing one of or some of these sites and flipping them to sell on flippa and seeing as though they sell for between 30 and 200 dollars then both parties would make a profit.

If flippers dont build from scratch and there's a chance they would be interested then should I message the ones on flippa and sedo? Or would that be a bit silly and insulting seeing as though they're professionals. I don't see a forum or facebook group dedicated to flippers, they seem to be a secretive cult.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Hi, Mark, and welcome.

I'm not a flipper so maybe I'm wrong but this is my take on it. A few years ago, flipping was quite a good way to make money online. Then the market became a bit saturated, especially at the lower end with people churning out turnkeys to sell to newbies. There are still some opportunities there, but they are few and far between and it takes a lot of time to find them. Most people in the know got out of that business and moved on to do something else, because of the more limited opportunities in the flipping market.

There was a forum specifically for flippers. It was called FlippingPlanet, but the owners - Thomas and Bryan, who are both members here - merged with EP so all their old content is on here now. If you're particularly interested in flipping then you'll find plenty of content which may be of interest to you.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Trial Member
    Thanks
    It all depends on your skill set. If you are a good developer then you may find that you make good $ per hour by making new sites and selling them. However, if you are a talented SEO expert and can find decent established sites that are waiting to be monetized, then this may be a beter stratergy for you.

I dont think there is a single way to say how you should be flipping websites. It's simply down to the individuals skills and the stratergy they take.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    If you really do it properly, the idea of flipping sites is to start out with small sites, sell them, and buy bigger sites using the cash in hand. The important factor is to be able to improve the income of the sites you buy rapidly. It gets called flipping because it is analagous to flipping houses - you buy houses cheaply, do some work quickly which makes them attractive to a buyer, then sell them quickly for a profit.

There's a more elaborate explanation at crabfiles.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/what-site-flipping-should-be-about/ but that's the way it is supposed to go according to the testament of Thomas and Bryan, who do it a lot less these days because it is tediously boring and it is becoming harder and harder to do off-site SEO.

Now that I've said that, I should also explain that a lot of people assemble sites from scratch for a variety of reasons, usually focused on the fact that they have domains which are doing nothing without having some content on them, and a lot of those people have poor site building skills and outsource their work in this line.

I don't see a lot of marketability in ready built sites erected on a new domain to the seasoned campaigners, but I can see a market where people might buy a MFA site package, completely assembled and ready to go on a domain of their choice. Of course, that depends on whether you could deliver these to order, with no duplicate content, at an advantageous price.

I know a lot of people used to employ people to build aff sites for them, and quit doing that when the black and white creatures attacked. If they are like me, they still have the domains with sites doing doodly on those domains, and if the sites had MFA content they would probably get some return on those domains.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Kay (13 April 2013)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I agree with what you've said, crabfoot, except for the MFA take on things. It's getting really difficult to make money with MFAs these days. It's not impossible, and I've seen sites which weren't badly hit by the monochrome monsters maintain or regain their traffic, but the AS income never got back to what it was before. IMO the days of MFAs are numbered. Sure, I still have some but I'm moving out of that (or at least diversifying) as fast as I can. The boat has sailed and I really doubt if anyone can make a big success of getting into that method of monetisation now, especially with a new domain and/or a site that's not established.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Well, the chap is selling Amazon Stores, MFA sites and autoblogs.

Autoblogs have little market these days, although DNN has been looking around and found people using them to boost their standing on Empire Avenue, even though they are breaching the T&C by doing it.

Amazon is very tricky to get into these days, so I can't see a lot of market there, either. I confess I should be looking harder at Amazon as a source of income, I'm doing nothing with it at the moment because the sites that were using it were stuffed by the Panda (probably because they are small and lack pictures, the content is good).

MFA sites may be losing their attraction as an earner, but they are a great defensive tactic against those people who might use the ICANN rules to part a domainer from his domain because that domain is not in use.

If you are a domainer trying to sell a valuable domain for /$xxxx + , it is becoming more attractive for those who want it to use the legal route, accuse you of domain squatting, and require you to hand it over. XX notes for a MFA site can be quite a cheap insurance policy, especially if the site is good quality and actually produces a return.

There's more to the concept than ROI ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Kay (14 April 2013)

+ Reply to Thread