+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Announcement: Experienced People Forum Newsletter

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Announcement: Experienced People Forum Newsletter

For several years this forum has sent out a (usually) weekly bulletin as a service to our members, listing some of the best threads of the previous week. For technical reasons it was "opt-out", ie it went to all members whose EP accounts were in good standing.

We've now expanded the remit of the newsletter. It'll still highlight some of the best threads since the previous newsletter, and it's still absolutely free of charge to any EP member who wishes to receive it. But it'll now include some news snippets of relevance to running an online business, and any special offers and discount codes which we can obtain for our Premium Members.

At the same time, we've made the switch to an opt-in system, so it will only be sent to those members who sign up for it.

How to opt in

Opting in is very easy [if you're already able to edit your profile; see Ryan's post below] and is done from within the "Permission Groups" section in the left-hand column of your profile page. For convenience, here's a link direct to the right place within your profile:
    Manage Permission Groups

You'll be presented with a table like the one below. Just click on the radio button for the "Newsletter list" usergroup, hit the "Join Group" button, and that's it. Easy!

manage-usergroups-joingroup.jpg

If you decide that for whatever reason you don't wish to receive the newsletter any more, just follow the same process, except this time the radio button and the submit button are labelled "Leave Group":

manage-usergroups-leave.jpg

(By the way, don't worry about the bit saying "(Cannot leave primary group)" in the screenshot above. The vBulletin database has to have each member assigned to a primary usergroup to enable them to use the forum. But the primary group may change, for instance as you make more posts or if you subscribe or unsubscribe as a Premium Member.)

When you get your newsletter, please drop in to give us your feedback. Thanks!

Thanks
    I'm getting the "you do not have permission to access this page" when trying to follow your link.

Is this an issue with my account or is some permission askew?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for reporting the problem, Ryan. Some permission seems to be askew - which is weird because it worked fine during testing. I'll check it out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hmm. We seem to have hit a snag.

It may take some time to sort out. In the meantime, if anyone encounters the same problem please PM me (Bot) and we can subscribe/unsubscribe you manually.

(The problem shouldn't arise for anyone who's amassed enough high-quality posts to be able to edit their own profile.)

Thanks
    I am experiencing the same issue trying to subscribe, as well as when I conduct a search on this forum.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Escondido
    I am experiencing the same issue trying to subscribe...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bot
    ...if anyone encounters the same problem please PM me (Bot) and we can subscribe/unsubscribe you manually.
    As already explained, the process is straightforward for more established members. Those without sufficient postings to edit their profile need to request it manually.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Established Member
    Thanks
    I've just signed up and it seems to be fine. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread