+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Value of Alexa rank

Thanks

Value of Alexa rank

It might sound like a n00bs question (actually it is) but I would like to know what is the valie of Alexa rank. I mean, is it easy to manipulate this? Can we trust this?

I am asking this because recently, I bidded on a Flippa listing based on a great Alexa rank (+\- 80K) but after a little more DD, I came to think the website is worth nothing.

With this thread I am just looking to know if I we can relate on Alexa rank or not.

Thanks in advance!

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Clinton wrote an interesting article about why Alexa rank can have some value.
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...l-be-surprised

There are a few other threads about Alexa on here but they're mostly from people saying how easy it is to game the Alexa rank and that it's a useless metric. The one I linked to above is the main one which gives a different point of view.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (7 May 2013)

Thanks
    Thank you for your response! Never thought of alexa as a traffic generator, that's a nice idea.
    I also made a search on Google about this and found this interesting article by SEOMoz.

seomoz.org/blog/testing-accuracy-visitor-data-alexa-compete-google-trends-quantcast

Just so you know, I will finally decline my offer on the website I was thinking to buy. Also, I think I found a way that dishonest sellers use to make more money from their auctions. Here it is:

So I was bidding on that listing, that was stupid from my part, but I bid without doing any kind of DD. The listing was at 182$, and the seller claimed he made 60$/months with that website. I bid 600$, the auction was about to end in less than two hours. A new bidder started to bid, he bid every hundredth, 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600. At 600 he got the flippa message that he was equal to the last bidder but like he bid second he could not win the auction. He stopped bidding. Not even 605. I am very sure it was the seller bidding every hundredth until he would get that message just to get as much as he could from that auction.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to brunogo For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (13 May 2013)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Thank you for your response!
    You are allowed to hit the thanks button if you want to thanks a post. (It's the green thumbs up button below each post.)

...I think I found a way that dishonest sellers use to make more money from their auctions.
    The usual name for that is "shill bidding", and apparently it's fairly common. We even had a thread about postings on Fiverr offering to do shill bidding for others.

http://experienced-people.net/forums...ders-for-sale-) (I had to remove a couple of links from there because they're now obsolete, but you get the idea.)

There's more about shills and how to spot them here:
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...to-spot-shills
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Shill bidding is quite normal.

As a person who likes to profit, being honest with myself and you. I would do it every time if it meant I got top dollar for my product.

Especially if I put hard work into a product.

That's my natural instinct, to sell at a high. However, my first attempt would be more responsible. I would try to have a conversation with buyers and sell via conversation first.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cBusiness View Post
    Shill bidding is quite normal.

As a person who likes to profit, being honest with myself and you. I would do it every time if it meant I got top dollar for my product.

Especially if I put hard work into a product.

That's my natural instinct, to sell at a high. However, my first attempt would be more responsible. I would try to have a conversation with buyers and sell via conversation first.
    Shill bidding is a natural instinct to most people. Unfortunately for you, it is also illegal in most of the Western world - but it is hard to prove it is happening without the co-operation of the internet auctioneers, which is why it is a very annoying aspect of many online auctions. If only the auctioneers had some incentive to act within the law, buyers might be able to buy the occasional bargain.

+ Reply to Thread