+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flippa fun with travel sites - for Flippa newbies

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Flippa fun with travel sites - for Flippa newbies

If you're an experienced buyer on Flippa, you might as well click away now and go and read something more interesting. However, this might be of interest for newbies who are looking for their first starter sites.

I'm a newbie who has never yet used Flippa, but I put on my cynical old sod hat and ventured forth. Here's how I got on.

First I went to the auctions which are ending soon. I immediately spotted a travel site which I quite fancied. It had a BIN of $199 and a then highest bid of $70. It looked like a nice site. It was created in May 2013 so there were no traffic or income claims. However, I did quite like the site build and thought that such a thing could be nice to incorporate into one of my existing travel sites. After all, how much would it cost me to replicate something similar? If I could get this one at, say, $100 or less that would be quite a bargain, wouldn't it?

Despite the fact that the end of the auction was imminent, I didn't rush into anything. After all, with this type of thing another similar one usually comes along soon. And sure enough several did. These things were being churned out by various sellers (or by someone pretending to be various sellers). At first I thought they were churning them out by using a template. Then it struck me that the sites had quite a 'white label' look to them. A quick check of the source code of the site revealed that this was indeed the case.

For those who don't know about white label affiliate marketing, all you have to do is to sign up as an affiliate of XYZTravelCompany, click a few buttons and now you've got your own fully automated travel website which offers bookings for hotel rooms, car, hire, flights, etc.

Easy money for the seller! Here's the recipe.

1. Buy a domain for less than $10. YourTravelDomain.com

2. Go to your affiliate account with XYZTravelCompany, use their white label option to insert YourTravelDomain.com into the masthead and voila!, off you go with your new fully functional travel bookings website.

3. Post it for sale on Flippa with a BIN of $199. Wait for some wet behind the ears newbie to come along and buy it. Even if you only get half of the BIN price, you're still raking it in for the small amount of time you spent doing it.

4. Rinse and repeat. Buy another domain - add the white label content - post for sale on Flippa.

Now, I must emphasise that there's nothing dishonest about doing this. It was clearly stated that the site in question was started in May 2013 and there were no income or traffic claims. Call me naive if you like, but I didn't mind that. I would have ditched the original domain and added the scripts to one of my existing travel sites. I thought it might be worth paying the price to get the scripts - that is, before I figured out it was just a white label affiliate thing.

So, that's another attempt at using Flippa thwarted. It's odd to be one of the very few people left in the world who've never bought from there. It's just that I've never yet seen anything on there without spotting some flaw or catch about what's on offer.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (20 May 2013), Nidec (8 November 2013), QRLaker (12 September 2013)

Trial Member
    Thanks

Why use Flippa

I just joined and this is my first post.

I am confused as to why anyone would want to use Flippa. I met a guy that sells 2-3 websites a month for 100K plus and told me NEVER to put it on flippa because it devalues the company immediately.

He claims that its just poor websites for sale there and the haters come and bash every website on there for sale and then Google picks that up and then by the time it's over your website has 3 rip off reports and 4 pages of hate when its googled.

He showed me examples and he was right. So why do people list?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    People list their sites on there because it's an ideal place to list cheap turnkey clones and make a few hundred bucks a shot. And there's no shortage of gullible newbies ready and willing to buy them. If the seller manages to find his 'mark', why should he care how the site performs afterwards or about what Google thinks of it?

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Established Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post Kay, I had never heard of 'white label' sites before this.
    Not everything on Fliipa is cheap, I've been reading on another forum of a newbie who bid (and won) a $70k + site there then panicked over what he had done. Luckily for him the seller didn't insist on him buying (he made it very clear he wasn't going to) and it was relisted.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yeah, it's on this thread. He was willing to gamble his retirement fund in the hope of making it big, even though he hadn't much idea about what he was doing.

White label has been around for a long time especially in affiliate marketing. It's more often heard of these days in terms of FBA (Fulfilment by Amazon).

+ Reply to Thread