Thread: Site sold on Flippa for $27.5 million

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Site sold on Flippa for $27.5 million

I don't 'get' this.

https://flippa.com/2921186-domainhighend-intelligenttld

The seller is also talking up how much money is to be made by selling domains and some of the ones he suggests appear to be trademark infringements.

Site established May 2013. No profit or revenue claims.

Why would anyone pay to list something like this on Flippa and then claim to have sold it for $27.5M?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Established Member
    Thanks
    I would guess he's hoping that someone out there will believe they are getting a bargain at a few thousand dollars when this deal "falls through."

aka "bryanon"
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I would guess he's hoping that someone out there will believe they are getting a bargain at a few thousand dollars when this deal "falls through."
    Either that or the guy is just taking the p***

That listing cracked me up when I first saw it a few days ago so if entertainment was its main goal then he's certainly succeeded!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I really did wonder if it was a joke but was unsure why someone would pay for such a listing. It certainly made me laugh. Mind you, some of the other listings are a good source of entertainment too. I just spotted one which says:

We had the site totally re-designed by the best rated graphic designers and wasted no expense on looks, marketability, potential, and conversions.
    Somehow I get the feeling that they didn't say what they meant to say. They probably meant "spared no expense", and didn't realise that "wasted no expense" makes it sound as though they didn't spend anything. Oh well, it's nice that they didn't waste any money on potential.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Among the domains he's selling in that listing are blatant violations such as apple-yes.com.

So much for Flippa's past claims about not encouraging trademark violations.

Sites that have "sold" have usually not sold. Even Flippa claim only about a 50% "success rate". Out of those 50% that seem to have sold most don't get paid for ... evidenced by no WHOIS change even months after the listing end.

Individual claims - and the headline sales figures from Flippa's front page - are a work of fiction ... and I have the means to prove it.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

aka "bryanon"
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    Among the domains he's selling in that listing are blatant violations such as apple-yes.com.
    A little bit off topic but - how is a domain name called apple-yes.com a trademark violation?

If it had any content on it about Apple's products or about anything else that falls in any of the categories that Apple's trademark is registered in then sure, but in this instance what's being sold is a bunch of empty, undeveloped domain names and for all we know - the buyer could use the domain name to wholesale apples!

Because of this it's not as simple for Flippa to delete such auctions as deleting a legitimate auction based on the assumption that the domain name may be used for trademark infringement in the future (or that the seller's probable intention is for it to be used for trademark infringement) would trigger a massive shit storm and rightly so.

Even though I couldn't look at this particular listing for longer than a few minutes without starting to feel physically sick, whether we want it or not - it's a perfectly legitimate listing as long as the domain names belong to the seller and it isn't proven that the bid is a shill.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (20 July 2013), Clinton (23 May 2013)

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
    Individual claims - and the headline sales figures from Flippa's front page - are a work of fiction ... and I have the means to prove it.
    I have always wondered if the figure they claim for sales (and the fees they should reap from said figure) is also the figure they claim for Taxable income. If I was a mean bastard I would think about contacting the ATO and mentioning the sales figure they claim. But being as I would hate that to happen to me I wouldn't do it to them.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

9. The Following User Says Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (20 July 2013)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    A little bit off topic but - how is a domain name called apple-yes.com a trademark violation?
    It's a double whammy TM violation, Bryan - there is a fruit company using YES as a trademark, and they sell apple juice! And don't think Apple Computers were the first people to use Apple as a TM. The Beatles went into business as Apple Corps Ltd, issuing records on the Apple label back in the 60s, and as soon as Apple Computers went into the music biz they had a fight on their hands that went on for years!

As trade marks go, I'd say Apple-Yes might be usable for selling sink plungers in Belarus ...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It looks as though it's up for sale again, at the same price $27.5M.

Thanks
    Flippa should charge higher listing fees for people listing their sites for ridiculously high amounts.

+ Reply to Thread