+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think about IP blocks for countries?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Apart from the nuisance of this pesky traffic, I hope this thread also serves as a reminder to people who are looking into buying websites that it's essential to verify what that traffic consists of. Not all traffic is good.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes, Dave. That's exactly what happened with the WP login attacks a while back. But this time I'm not seeing and increased number of hits to WP-login. They're all to one perfectly valid post about superyachts.

Top Contributor Dave McM is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    In which case, I would guess that blog spammers are sending round the URL of that post as somewhere that they can feed into their software as a good place to post automated comments. Have you noticed a lot of comment spam to that post recently?

If on the other hand there's a keyword in the post that happens to be of interest to Germans for another reason - a coincidental homonym, perhaps - the best you can probably do is just shrug it off as one of those things. But you'd need to look at the source of the traffic for that - if it's direct traffic, then it's almost certainly dodgy.

But discussing the nature of mystery traffic risks taking us off-topic. (It could make for an interesting discussion, but it really needs a separate thread.) If it's caused by undesirables, I would say that the response should be the same no matter what the specific cause.

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    No comments on the post at all. Today, I have had 5 different IP addresses each hit the site 6,000 times, and some of that is WP-login, so I've hidden it. I checked one IP address and it gives full details - street address and even telephone number and a company name (Hezner Online AG) so I either the address is spoofed or his machine is infected, I suppose. There is even an email address for abuse reports. Found a Spamcop post from Jan 2013 telling that the listed abuse addresses are disabled, and recommending you use info[at]hetzner.de... Let's see if I get a response. [Edit to add the following:] I received an instant automated response in German and English thanking me for reporting the problem.

Thanks
    About 3 years ago I blocked all IP address from China and Russia (and threw in some other sketchy eastern countries like the Ukraine as well). I was getting way too many hacking attempts coming out of those countries so it seemed better to just block. There are certainly legitimate users in those countries but they won't get Adsense ads that generate much $ and for my ecommerce sites, the products are US/Canada available only.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    I'd say that blocking an IP in a designated country side or place is a sign of somewhat laziness, bluntly speaking. There are cons if you don't block IPs but all cons are preventable if someone is just hardworking enough to control unrelated/unwanted stuff from entering a website.

+ Reply to Thread