+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changes to EP Marketplace - Starter Bazaar

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Changes to EP Marketplace - Starter Bazaar

The main marketplace categories remain unchanged. However, there appeared to be a demand for a cheaper way of listing starter sites without having to become a Premium Member. Therefore we've moved starter sites to its own section. It's now possible to list starter sites for sale at $1.99 per month per site. Premium Members can still post for free, up to a specified limit.

http://experienced-people.net/forums...sites-for-Sale

Please read the rules before posting starter sites for sale.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

JimWaller (13 June 2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I heard through the grapevine that some people think listing on our marketplace is too expensive. This surprises me because it's only $1.99 to list a starter site. Maybe some people aren't aware of how cheap it is, so I thought a little reminder might help.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Established Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I heard through the grapevine that some people think listing on our marketplace is too expensive. This surprises me because it's only $1.99 to list a starter site. Maybe some people aren't aware of how cheap it is, so I thought a little reminder might help.
    Have you considered not charging for listing but instead asking for money if a sale is made?
    It wouldn't make any difference to myself, but it may to others

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    I think the $1.99 wasn't to make any money but to help in weeding out the trash.

Personally if you can't afford to pay $1.99 to list your site then maybe you shouldn't be online.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grynge For This Useful Post:

Kay (6 August 2013), tke71709 (6 August 2013)

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grynge View Post
    Personally if you can't afford to pay $1.99 to list your site then maybe you shouldn't be online.
    Or at least you shouldn't be trying to sell a site that isn't worth $1.99 to list.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tke71709 For This Useful Post:

grynge (6 August 2013), Kay (6 August 2013)

Dormant Account
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I might be interested in listing some sites, but why the restrictions on linking?
    3. Avoid linking. For example, post details in the thread rather than posting them elsewhere and providing a link to that location. Where you do have to provide a URL, please type in the URL without the http or the www like this: experienced-people.net/forums/forum.php so that it doesn't automatically become a link.
    People are going to want to click on the site to check it out anyway, so why not make it easy for potential customers?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I might be interested in listing some sites...
    Great! It would be good to see some activity in this marketplace.

...but why the restrictions on linking?
    Because the links out from this forum are do-follow, and some people might want to take advantage of that. It's a cheap way of scoring a link for those who are in the "link building business". Listing a site for $1.99 is a cheap and easy way to get a good backlink. We're happy for someone to list their site for sale, not so keen for people to pay the couple of bob to get a valuable backlink.

(I'll need to check on this - some of our forums aren't spidered - need to check that this one isn't either.) A listing is an offer for sale, it shouldn't be a backlink to influence the SERPs.

Dormant Account
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The rel="nofollow" link attribute is custom built for this situation: it's when a website wants to link to another site strictly for utility purposes but doesn't want to endorse it. So making links "nofollow" in marketplace forum would serve two purposes:
    • Make it easy for people to click on resources they need to make an informed decision about the site (helpful for potential customer and the seller)
    • By making it nofollow, you protect the integrity of the forum marketplace (a deterrent for people to post ads only to garner backlinks)
    Linking is fairly intrinsic to how the web works, and all buyers are going to want to check out the site for sale themselves before making a decision. Another option is to make links active for the first 2-4 weeks of the listing and then expire them as non-clickable text links if you don't want EP to pass authority through the link.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gzed For This Useful Post:

Clinton (7 August 2013)

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Use a redirect for the link then everyone is happy.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    gzed has a point.

Kay, the original idea in the link block was to prevent link building, yes, but it may be worth removing that restriction and seeing if that makes a difference. You could still retain the privilege of not allowing any link you deemed unsuitable as all listings are reviewed before going live. Worth a shot maybe and the restriction could always be added back later if the market takes off and some marketers start abusing the service.

grynge, but that would involve some custom coding, wouldn't it? Remember, we want links in just one subsection of a vbulletin forum to redirect.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

JimWaller (7 August 2013)

+ Reply to Thread