One of the websites that I own provides investing information to members and charges a monthly subscription fee. It has been doing reasonably well for the last couple of years without any advertising on my part, and generally has a few dozen subscribers at any given time.
I use Clickbank to manage the subscriptions, so I also have access to their affiliate program, but I have had very little success attracting affiliates. I am offering $40 per sale that is recurring as long as the subscriber is a member of the site, which seems pretty generous to me, given that the average length of a subscription is over 6 months.
I'd like to begin to seriously advertise this site because I honestly believe that it provides the best value in its niche based on comments from subscribers and my knowledge of the sector, so I think it could take a lot of customers from the competition if more people were aware that my site existed.
My questions to people who have run affiliate programs are:
1. What affiliate programs would you suggest to someone with a product like mine?
2. What do you think of my payout to affiliates?
3. What do you do to attract and retain high quality affiliates?
4. Do you think it is worthwhile to hire an affiliate manager, or should I rely on the affiliate network to handle this?
5. Who is responsible for creating ads for the site?
6. What are your other suggestions and comments?
If you need any more information about the site to answer any questions, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice.