+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Converting a Dormant Account to a Normal Account on These Forums

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts

Converting a Dormant Account to a Normal Account on These Forums

[Note: Many of the pages explaining how this forum works (like this one) were originally written before changes to the forum management and structure in April 2013. The information below has not yet been updated to reflect those changes. EP is a large site and there are plenty of pages that need updating, so please bear with us - we'll be amending this page as soon as we can!]

If your account hasn't been used for a while your account may be marked as a dormant account for security reasons. This is no reflection on you, your mother ... or your credit rating. The experience here has been that accounts that haven't been used for a long time are more of a security risk.

Dormant accounts have some restrictions that don't apply to normal accounts. For example, all posts are held up in a moderation queue. If you had access to our VIP Lounge you'd have lost it and you'd have lost your access to our Private Groups. There may be other inconveniences such as losing PMs that you've saved. That's why I try to send an email out before marking an account as dormant to give you a chance to prevent that happening.

Of course, we'd love to have you back and if you want to start posting again, simply make a quality post or two and an admin will move your account out of dormancy when approving your post for public viewing. If you have trouble with that there are other ways to contact me. Also, please note that moving your account back to normal status is at the admins' discretion. We usually approve because we do want you to resume normal posting and participation
    Last edited by Bot; 26 April 2013 at 8:41 am.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Well since my account has become dormant .. . my mailbox has also become full from what appears to be a size restriction applied as a result of the dormancy. I'm pretty sure it wasn't close to the maximum previously. Anyway, as a result of that, there was no way I could PM you; hence reply to your message and the "fluff". which I note <snip>

I do see the need to ensure the new kids know they haven't got the same latitude as those that may have contributed for a longer time period; but is this really necessary for members whom you yourself have already praised for their contribution?.

Rules are good, but from my perspective, effectively, being told I have write a few posts to have my account restored just because I took a long Xmas break, and after you gave me a VIP pass so soon for contributing well and early; seems like overkill. That's just me though. I appreciate this is your forum, but don't you want to judge each situation on it's own merit.

Personally, I think a better approach is to ask members that have been away for a while (particularly those you know have contributed) whether their recent lack of visits/posts is a true reflection of their interest. Rather than make their account dormant and then go through this. If the lack of response is due to their lack of interest or you get a lame response from them; then sure put them through the "contribute or else" rule. If their lack of response is not due to their lack of interest (as in my case) then I can't understand why you wouldn't just restore their account. After all, they're already a member and they already contributed, right?

Otherwise it just seems a little to much like a bureaucracy. Particularly for members that have already contributed noticeably well enough to earn a VIP pass early - as you have directly indicated directly to me that I have.

Sometimes you can jump the gun a little. I understand that. In this case I actually had a 2 page response draft (which you can see if you like) that I had written over my break, in response to a post in relation to Flippa issue one of your members had written about pertaining to what buyer enquiries a seller takes off-line. Unfortunately that post was within the VIP section - which I now don't have access to - because the rules say I have to have my account closed. And as you know I can't PM you until my account is revived and the mailbox limit is not restricted. I had intended to deposit that response upon my return, if the post was still relative, and after I found the time to refine it.

But is this all really necessary Clinton, particularly considering the above?

Cheers,

W.
    Last edited by Clinton; 21 February 2012 at 8:27 am. Reason: rule 10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes, the number of allowed PMs is lower for dormant accounts so it's possible you ran into a mailbox full situation.

I've approved the above as a post as it allows me to put some context to the dormancy rules.

Personally, I think a better approach is to ask members that have been away for a while (particularly those you know have contributed) whether their recent lack of visits/posts is a true reflection of their interest.
    I agree it's a better approach. But you may not have realised, we don't pay the mods around here and don't have the mod power to monitor every user account, send a personal PM if there's x days of zero activity and then make judgment calls based on their reply or length of time they didn't reply. That sounds like an absolute nightmare of a system to implement. It's also not very scalable.

We have a simple procedure now that marks accounts as dormant if they haven't been used for a long time - based on months, not on what an individual mod feels about a particular member, how nice that member is, who likes that member's posts, whether that member replies to PMs etc. It's clean, it's based on days of non-participation, it's easily dealt with in bulk.

When a dormant member wants to return, the easiest way is for him to just make a post. A post. That indicates interest in participation. The first mod who comes along can then approve his post and reinstate his account. The alternative is to reinstate based on PM request. Do you realise those PMs would almost invariably be addressed to me (as happened in your own case)? I don't know if you're aware but I do a fair bit around here already without taking on the job of personally handling all reinstatements. That, to me, is the more bureaucratic solution and opens up all kinds of other problems - I've reinstated accounts in the past only to discover that the member never intended to make a post and simply wanted readmission into VIP. How often should I manually readmit members like that?

Moving non-participating accounts into dormancy has proved an effective security measure. It is also right that members who made a couple of posts in Feb 2010 and never returned ... don't need access to signature, PM and all the other privileges that have huge spam potential. The easiest way to minimise the risk from those accounts is to move them into the "Dormant Usergroup" which is setup with all those restrictions already in place.

Having to make a post to come out of dormancy does mean that this first post can't be in the VIP Lounge. That's a small price members are going to have to pay, I'm afraid. I spend several hours a day running this forum. Members need to bear that in mind and seek to cooperate with the methods I've decided work best to reduce the demands on the mods and me while still keeping this place open for business.

I have reinstated your account.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

akirk (21 February 2012), grynge (21 February 2012), Kay (21 February 2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Update: Following some discussion in here that had to be moved to the moderator forum and has taken up several hours of admin and mod time, Wheels has decided this may not be the best forum for him so I have let him go. Sorry to lose a member.

I really appreciate any effort members make to reduce work on the mods - from following the rules to simply making a (non-fluff) post to get a dormant account restored. Our system here may not be perfect but combined with a dedicated mod team it seems to work well enough. Of course, you could always volunteer to be a mod if you wish to help out, that would be fantastic and you could contribute to changing/improving these boards.

Thanks

Cool

Well, it actually makes sense to tag a non-active player as 'Dormant'. I've got more excuses then flies on stink but that doesn't cut it. The only one I can come up with that fits is that "I miss-bookmarked the forum."

I got here today because of an email from here. There's a lot of great people here in the forum and I think it's a good source of information. I've got a couple of things I'm working on so I'll post here to see if I can pick up some tips.

RT...

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Welcome back, bealive. It's not difficult to move a member out of the dormant account category. I look forward to reading your new postings.

If there are any other members who'd like to come back but are concerned because they've got "dormant" accounts, then don't worry about it! You'll be welcomed back and then your account won't be dormant any more.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Welcome back, bealive. It's not difficult to move a member out of the dormant account category. I look forward to reading your new postings.

If there are any other members who'd like to come back but are concerned because they've got "dormant" accounts, then don't worry about it! You'll be welcomed back and then your account won't be dormant any more.
    Thanks Kay. I appreciate it. Last year was a bit upside down but maybe this year will go a bit better.

My 1st stumbling block today is I can't get logged into my Web Host acct. Not the end of the world but I'll persevere and figure it out.

Anyhow, I'll see what I can do here to get some Q&A's going.

RT...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bealive For This Useful Post:

Brodie (29 July 2015)

New Member Mentor JimWaller is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Something I think might be worth mentioning is that PMs do not count toward keeping you active.

My account almost went dormant because I had not had a lot of time to make quality posts, but I had been using the PM functionality with Kay. When I got notified I might go dormant, I made sure to make a quality post and the problem was solved.

HTH,

Jim
    Help bring Janice home My mother-in-law was hospitalized while on vacation (holiday) We're trying to bring her home.

Thanks
    I realise that 99 is a small price to pay for such a great resource but is there any chance of a monthly subscription for the financially-challenged which sadly includes me at the moment!
    thanks

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Susan, I don't really understand what you're asking and what this has to do with dormant accounts.

Most of the forum is still free to use for those who don't wish to become Premium Members. Premium membership gives several privileges such as a bigger mailbox, more sig links, and free advertising in designated areas. It also gives people access to the Premium Lounge where they can get the "EP Guide to Due Diligence", and join our book publishers' club, among other things such as getting the EP team to give their time for any problems the Premium Member has.

It works out at $8.25 per month. I'm not unsympathetic to people who are financially challenged, but I couldn't consider giving premium access to anyone for $8.25. Not only would it create a lot of extra admin work - checking sigs, removing adverts, changing mailbox size, etc, etc, it would also let the member into the Premium Lounge so they'd get our DD guide, free books, and all kinds of things. At the end of the month, having got all that, they might not renew.

In any case, there's a bit of history here. The premium membership was sold on the basis of supporting this forum - this great resource. It was in danger of closing down because the founder (Clinton) became ill and was no longer in a position to continue. It was difficult to find someone to take it on. I couldn't afford to be a philanthropist but asked for a chance to keep the place going on condition that I could create even a small income stream from it to compensate me for my time and work here. This was agreed and many people rushed to say how much they supported this idea and they would happily pay to ensure that this resource continued. It didn't happen.

Even though most of the forum is still free, some people scuttled off because it wasn't a big freebie any more. That includes those who shouted loudly that they'd throw something in the kitty to keep the place going. Others just lurk around in the hope of getting something without contributing anything. Some people even read every thread and rarely say anything. So we keep the most interesting stuff for the Premium Lounge these days, although we're still happy and willing to help people if we can on the public forums.

What, in particular, would you like that you can't already get free on here?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

JimWaller (12 September 2013)

+ Reply to Thread