+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Advertising: What Do You Think About Their Tactics?

Thanks
    After spending $100 I got a grand total of 1 "like" (I was going for sales and/or free download samples.) So, it is HIGHLY subjective in nature.
    Lower CTR's on Facebook used to be more accepted by PPC experts. But after FB went public, it's big time re-targeting and hammering people with ads who are not in a search/shop mood. Is that a solution, make the stockholders happy in the short-term, but lose their audience? Of course they need profitability but they rolled it out so fast. Will their users just accept it, or spend less time there.

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    This was an interesting little experiment. I've always done okay on Google adwords so I was wondering if the skills were transferable. What I did was I read up on the subject of Facebook PPC then wrote an ad according to the "Guys who were supposed to know" guidelines and fitted with my own business model. I used two sets of demographics. One set of 10K addresses were based on what Amazon said were people who had bought similar products in the past. The other set was according to who Facebook wanted to show the ads to based on general and specific behavior. I gave each $50. I wasn't even expecting a break even. I was doing this to get a control group. This was also a product which would have widespread appeal, and should have sold well using this venue.

Now, I EXPECTED the targeted names and addresses to outperform the general. I figured it would be at least a 5:1 or greater difference in performance.

The result? NONE of them performed...at all. Period. (Well...I got one "like")

Also, general Facebook PPC is is at least 7 times more expensive than Adwords, for my keywords.

Now this could have been a miscalculation on my part. I could matched the wrong verbiage to the audience, the wrong graphic, etc. (But I don't think so, I modeled them after existing ads) Or it could be Facebook PPC completely sucks. However, I think there is no denying that some people are using it profitably. And therein, lies the rub. I'm $100 poorer and I don't have any answers.

At the end of the day, you don't know where Facebook is distributing your ads.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

Dave McM (27 October 2013), Kay (26 October 2013), kharrison (26 October 2013)

Thanks
    Were you going after "likes", or sales?
    At the end of the day, you don't know where Facebook is distributing your ads.
    what did you use to track performance?

Thanks,
    Kimberly

Thanks
    They have their own tracking mechanism built in, sort of like a cheap Google analytics. Plus using the tracking from my own website.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

kharrison (26 October 2013)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    As a follow up to this earlier discussion, I wondered if anyone was having any success with FB ads now?

I'm not a big FB user, but needs must, and every time I go there I see loads of adverts for Empire Flippers and Ken Evoy's SBI (sitesell). I can't figure out if it's (very badly executed) retargeting or if the ads are specifically aimed at Internet newbies who hang out on these sort of pages. (Some of my friends on FB wouldn't have a clue about how to build even a simple blog, so the ads just might be suitable for them.)

I used AdWords back in the day, but then it all got too complicated. I don't know if it's the same with Facebook PPC. Do you need a PhD in the subject just to avoid losing heaps of money?

And who is on FB anyway? Your target audience? In cases like SBI, I'd say the FB audience was ideal. But what if you're not trying to attract newbies as customers? Do you hope that the retargeting will show them something suitable? I can't figure it out. I'm thinking the advertising must work or people wouldn't keep doing it. Is that the case? Or is it more about getting your name (brand) in front of more eyeballs so you almost become a household name?

If anyone understands FB advertising, please impart your wisdom. (For my sake, if you can make it understandable for a confused person that would be great.)
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    Short version, it's a different animal than Adwords, but still, just as, or more complicated.

The difference is that with Adwords a person is searching for info. With FB they are there for totally different and unrelated reasons, but let's say for simplicity, they are searching for interest.
    Information is an objective search (Or at least it should be) interest is totally subjective. It's a completely different mindset and selling style.

But by and large, they have no interest in buying a product. They are there to socialize more with people who share the same interest. You trying to sell something is about as welcome as showing up at someone's birthday party and trying to sell them insurance or Tupperware. There is also a much more, defined (But unwritten) etiquette on FB.

"News Feeds" Ads on FB (PPC) cost just as much, or more, than Adwords for most keywords.

If you confine yourself to simply "news" feed type, or Adwords type ads, I think most of us are going to lose money...maybe big time if you aren't careful.

If you can cobble together a list of people to send it to by type of interest, you can do it much cheaper. But my experience, even then, the sales results doesn't justify it. I did a specialized list of 10K people who read specific authors. It resulted in one sale. PPC type ads never resulted in any sales.

My Personal Experience and opinion only.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

Kay (28 March 2014)

Thanks
    Have you seen this video about Facebook ad fraud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfHeWTKjag

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kharrison For This Useful Post:

Dave McM (28 March 2014), dsieg58 (28 March 2014), JimWaller (30 March 2014), Kay (28 March 2014)

Thanks
    That sounds about right. Good video.

Top Contributor Dave McM is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Excellent video. I remember the original Virtual Bagel experiment on the BBC (Clinton posted about it), but this is even more damning.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I'm not a big FB user, but needs must, and every time I go there I see loads of adverts for Empire Flippers and Ken Evoy's SBI (sitesell). I can't figure out if it's (very badly executed) retargeting or if the ads are specifically aimed at Internet newbies who hang out on these sort of pages. (Some of my friends on FB wouldn't have a clue about how to build even a simple blog, so the ads just might be suitable for them.)
    Hey Kay - I can't speak for the other guy, but the ads you got from us were part of a retargeting campaign. Anyone who had visited our site in the previous 3 months was open game for targeting. Depending on the page you visited on our site, you were either hit with a "buyer", "seller" or "general" advertisement.

I'm not sure why you said it was poorly executed. Wouldn't targeting previous site visitors be highly targeted? Considering somewhere around 1-2% of visitors optin, I would argue that targeting people who have already heard of and are familiar with you would be better than targeting random FB visitors, no?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TryBPO For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (6 July 2014), David S (6 July 2014), Kay (6 July 2014)

+ Reply to Thread