+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Advertising: What Do You Think About Their Tactics?

Thanks

Facebook Advertising: What Do You Think About Their Tactics?

Facebook has moved decisively to beef up advertising revenues after its lackluster IPO. Geez, that was only last year.

Beginning with Instagram in April 2012, Facebook had acquired 13 companies.

They have offered up new ways to advertise: in the sidebars, sponsored posts, ads on newsfeeds. Next is video. They have grown their ad revenue by 61 percent.

I have read that their acquisitions include a lot of data. Their new Facebook Ad Exchange (FBX) can tell advertisers much more about you than you ever added to your Facebook profile. They know what kind of car you drive, if you own a home and the size of your mortgage, and they can even tell what else you have been searching for online. It is creepy to me to be shown ads on Facebook for health insurance right after I was looking for it on Google.

Seeing retargeted ads after doing a search on Google is commonplace. But on Facebook? How long will people accept advertising intruding in their social space, and in a way many find unsettling -- I am wondering what the experienced people think about this.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kharrison For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 September 2013), crabfoot (11 September 2013), Kay (11 September 2013)

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    What a great thread! This comes at a particularly useful time for me as I was thinking of Mastering facebook PPC. Back in the day, (early 2000's) I cought Perry Marshall's book "The Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords" I used it to build a sizable income with PPC. It was the first time I was able to get online advertising to work in my favor. He wrote another book recently "The Ultimate Guide to Facebook Advertising" which arrived today from Amazon. So I was considering starting a thread of own as soon as I was up to speed.

On to your comments:

They know what kind of car you drive, if you own a home and the size of your mortgage, and they can even tell what else you have been searching for online.
    Is that really surprising? Direct marketers have also been able to do that for the last 50 years. (Except of course, what you just searched on Google) Is it really any different? Other than it is so much more obvious, and intrusive?

Seeing retargeted ads after doing a search on Google is commonplace. But on Facebook?
    I've noticed that recently whatever I was searching for on Amazon now pops up automatically on just about every site I visit afterwards. My point is, it isn't just Facebook and Google doing this. The big three are now holding hands and whispering sweet nothing into each others ears. It's obviously making everyone money so it is only going to grow.

How long will people accept advertising intruding in their social space, and in a way many find unsettling
    As long as the big three keep making money from it. If it makes them money, then a consumers uneasiness is going to take a backseat until there is a consumer backlash and they no longer make money. Then they'll "reevaluate" their advertising policies. But judging from the recent accusations here in the US about NSA spying on innocent Americans, and everybody else, quite a while would be my guess. There was no discernible backlash from even that. Except Snowden getting raked over the coals for having a conscious and deciding to take a stand.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 September 2013), Clinton (11 September 2013), Kay (11 September 2013), kharrison (10 September 2013)

Thanks
    Other than it is so much more obvious, and intrusive?
    So much more obvious. I did Google PPC from 2007 - 2010 but haven't kept up. It did not drill down to this degree. Can users get this kind of information now in the keyword planner?

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    I hope you realize that everybody on Facebook has two profiles; the one they can see, and a shadow profile that FB compiles by gleaning the web.

I can definitely say from personal experience that some of the info they glean is not "public", but if a site has leaky security FB will take data and use it.

As a web user, I find this sort of thing a PITA, but as someone who might want to use FB as a source of traffic, I find it interesting.

I had a site de-indexed by Gargyl as a "suspected funnel" site. In their terms, it might be, although it wasn't a true funnel site - it was funneling to the Adsense on each page. They offered me the chance to have the site reassessed by a human. I passed on that - the content is truly poor.

The reason this is interesting is that it was de-indexed when I submitted it to Gargyl Webmasters to monitor traffic - not before.

Gargyl are using their new "uniform" T&C to make site evaluations from any source presented to them "on a plate". They are not chasing sites which currently exist. This means that you might buy a site that is doing well, and the day you try to put Gargyl Analytics/Webmasters links on it, it will bomb out.

Facebook is a huge traffic source, and the interesting thing about Facebook is that they don't care if your site is thin, small, or ugly. People using Facebook to get traffic can still get away with using thin sites that sell. For webmasters, FB is an opportunity at the moment.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 September 2013), dsieg58 (10 September 2013), Kay (11 September 2013)

Thanks
    No, it can not. I didn't mean Google. I was talking about direct mail lists. You CAN drill down to that degree with those. As far drill down to someone search results across networks. It's possible somewhat with the display network, but not to the degree that the Big Three are doing it.

Facebook is a completely different animal as far as PPC goes, too. The same rules DO NOT apply. Some sites sell on FB, others don't. The web copy that sells with Google PPC, flops with FB traffic. I also have to confess, I've ought into the whole "Social Media" mess. To me, it is like a crowded room full of people who THINK they are a lot more interesting than they really are. But I can no longer deny the advertising opportunity that exists there.
    Last edited by Kay; 11 September 2013 at 12:27 am. Reason: To merge posts

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 September 2013)

Thanks
    A question comes to mind, about short term ROI at the expense of core value. Is Facebook destroying long-term equity to appease stockholders? Their focus in the beginning was to have users connect with other people. Now it is serving ads and re-targeting.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kharrison View Post
    A question comes to mind, about short term ROI at the expense of core value. Is Facebook destroying long-term equity to appease stockholders? Their focus in the beginning was to have users connect with other people. Now it is serving ads and re-targeting.
    In the beginning FB was run by a different company to its present owners. They bought it to exploit the database. They are doing just that.

Gargyl have got where they are by buying up other companies that provide sources of traffic. Yahboo poached their chief exec from Gargyl and have since been buying up other companies. Now the top brass is changing at Micro$hit you can bet Bong will be buying up more companies as well.

Farcebook is the largest single web entity that can provide traffic and is not linked to those search engines, or hand in glove with them like Amazin is with Gargyl. If FB want to be taken seriously in business terms, they have to buy to expand quickly, or they could be the subject of a hostile takeover bid. That means they have to generate income to pay for their purchases.

I think. Then again, the easiest obvious way to manipulate FB is via Empire Avenue. If you are using money and live in the US, Mechanical Turk could be an alternative. Perhaps FB's current strategy is to control as many of the salient rating factors for EAv as possible.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 September 2013), kharrison (12 September 2013)

Thanks
    Thank you -- I come here to learn.
    Facebook has its obligations to stockholders...remains to be seen if their users accept this over time. I do have a couple of clients who want to buy FB advertising to take advantage of their databases and demographics, the re-targeting, all of that.
    Last edited by kharrison; 12 September 2013 at 1:29 am.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    It was the very first time i was able to get internet marketing to perform in my benefit. I did used Facebook as a matter of just advertising and did get the results in the least possible time.

Thanks
    I also used it. I WASN'T able to get it to perform to my benefit. But PPC can be deceptively complex to apply effectively. So it is probably more my lack of knowledge. Their interface is also more clunky than Google's (old) interface. I tried both highly targeted, and broadly targeted ads. After spending $100 I got a grand total of 1 "like" (I was going for sales and/or free download samples.) So, it is HIGHLY subjective in nature. The "News Feed" feature seems to work better than ads. I thought the price of the ads was also extremely high.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

kharrison (25 October 2013)

+ Reply to Thread