+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very, Very, Interesting

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts

Very, Very, Interesting

I mentioned in other threads that I thought there was a correlation between Google Adwords and SERP, but I couldn't prove it. I still can't. But this is telling. I started my adwords campaign back up. Now, before all the Penguins and Pandas I sat in the top #1-3 positions for years. With the juggling I went down off the front page, then disappeared altogether. I'd pretty much given up getting it back up there to page one. I simply wasn't worth the work and/or expense. Anyhoo, I started the adwords compaign back up a COUPLE OF DAYS AGO. Guess what? I'm back on the front page. Granted, it is position 9 &10, but it is still the front page.

I think appealing to their greed works as an SEO strategy. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper than paying SEO professionals. I'm paying .34 cents a click with a 5:1 ROI. Plus the extra traffic from the page rank positions...I can live with that.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 September 2013), Dave McM (11 September 2013), Kay (12 September 2013)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    To be back on the front page so easily, that's nice. Trouble is, did it happen because you appealed to their greed, or because the B&W creature attacks dumped so heavily on the competition that they crawled off into the cold and died?

That's the hassle with Gargyl - they won't ever tell you. Whatever, shows that Gargyl likes your site.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 September 2013), dsieg58 (11 September 2013)

Thanks
    For my money it is because of their greed. This is the second or third time I've noticed this. It is no longer a coincidence.

aka "bryanon"
    Thanks
    It may be because of the early hours and not getting much sleep tonight but I fail to see any motivation for doing something like this?

If anything, it would be in Google's best interest to *negatively* affect the sites' rankings that do PPC - as a site ranking high for the same keyword that it bids on through Adwords naturally reduces the number of clicks on the site's Adwords ads.

Am I missing anything?

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    It may be because of the early hours and not getting much sleep tonight but I fail to see any motivation for doing something like this?

If anything, it would be in Google's best interest to *negatively* affect the sites' rankings that do PPC - as a site ranking high for the same keyword that it bids on through Adwords naturally reduces the number of clicks on the site's Adwords ads.

Am I missing anything?
    Yes. Goog is back to its old wicked ways, favoring old, large, and/or established sites at the expense of new ones - unless they are its customers.

You cannot go forward with G by indiscriminate link building any more, you can go forward with G if you buy Adwords. And I rather suspect that DSieg is targeting a minor keyword combo, and he's ranking the site for his major keyword combo. No doubt he'll tell us later.

Mind you, if G is going back to its old ways, you have to watch out that the CPC does not suddenly rise from 32 cents to $5. They used to do things like that.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 September 2013), Kay (12 September 2013)

Thanks
    And I rather suspect that DSieg is targeting a minor keyword combo, and he's ranking the site for his major keyword combo. No doubt he'll tell us later.
    Exactly. Or rather, my niche is so small, I've narrowed it down to only a few performing keywords. These keywords are also my main SEO's pages on my website. Want to talk about a kick in the ass...a few years ago there were 48K monthly searches in my niche. Now there are only 880. And I do have one of the best info/content sites in my niche. My products are also the best. I had healthy links built up over time. Yada, yada, yada. Everything one is "supposed" to do, I did. Didn't make a difference. But you know who replaced me at the top? Amazon. With my book, no less. So instead of my website with my book, they replaced me with Amazon and my book. My website disappeared so far, even Market Samurai couldn't find me. Now 2 days after starting Adwords, I'm back on the front page.

You probably give them implied consent to read your cookies when you accept their T&C. Dirty practice to try and substitute Kay's cookie with their own in this case.
    Didn't that used to be called "Affiliate theft?"
    Last edited by dsieg58; 12 September 2013 at 8:37 am.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsieg58 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 September 2013), Kay (12 September 2013)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Subsequent posts in this thread on the topic of affiliate marketing have been moved to a new thread.

http://experienced-people.net/forums...etargeting-etc
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Established Member
    Thanks
    Coincidence. Think of the thousands of instances where there is this correlation and millions of times when there aren't. I'm ex-Google and am pretty confident that these teams/data do not talk to each other.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    But that was many years ago. Since then there's been an IPO and the understandable focus of a listed company to ramp up profits. Possible culture change, no?
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (18 September 2013)

Established Member
    Thanks
    Granted, I don't have any real insight into the company right now, but I'd still be willing to put all my savings on this. Imagine for a moment that indeed there was nothing untoward going on would you still many cases of these apparent SERP/spend correlations? Of course you would. So it's not a very good instrument for proving guilt. As I alluded; we're ignoring the millions of cases where this correlation does not exist.

+ Reply to Thread