+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flippa Super Sellers - beta

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Flippa Super Sellers - beta

Flippa has recently launched a Super Seller feature in beta. It's intended to be for top sellers who consistently provide a great experience for buyers.

What makes a Super Seller?

Represent their wares honestly
    Provide fantastic buyer support through the transaction and transfer process, and post-sale
    Provide a product that their buyers are happy with
    Use their real name and have verified their identity with Flippa
    Abide strictly by Flippa policies
    Source: flippa.com/supersellers

I'm sure this is well intentioned but once again, as with most marketplaces, it's all geared up for the seller and to help them sell more. There's nothing to help the buyer. OK, so you know that you're dealing with a Super Seller because they get a badge to wear. (It looks a bit like Superman's logo.) To become a Super Seller you have to show that you have a squeaky clean record of transactions over a period of time.

It sounds fair enough, but there's nothing at all to reassure buyers about the quality of the sites on offer. A Super Seller could be churning out duds and selling them politely and successfully. I'm not sure about the "Provide a product that their buyers are happy with" part. Does anyone know what data Flippa gathers from buyers post-sale? It's not unusual for people to come on here and complain that they've been "cheated" by Flippa, but it's often not really about cheating. It's simply that the buyer didn't fully understand what they were buying. For example, they often don't realise that what they've bought is just a turnkey clone similar to many others being sold.
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...-turnkey-sites

I think the Super Seller thing will be great to help sellers sell more sites - exactly what Flippa wants, of course. What concerns me is that newbies will be lulled into a false sense of security because they'll think that a Super Seller is selling a good quality site when in fact it could just be that the Super Seller is very successful at selling duds to buyers who don't realise they've been fooled, or buyers who don't have the experience to understand what they've bought.

If you're thinking of buying a site, you should at least do some due diligence on it, even if that just means doing a few rudimentary checks. If the site is a bit more expensive, then you will want to do even more. We have a forum dedicated to due diligence which you might want to have a look at.
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...ce-and-Gotchas!
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Clinton (16 September 2013), QRLaker (16 September 2013)

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hi Kay,

The feedback score for these super sellers includes Site Quality feedback. If even one of the sites sold by a seller is reviewed as a dud by a buyer (we send out these feedback requests 3 months after the sale), the seller isn't eligible for Super Sellers.

We also individually review the record and identity of each Super Seller online and offline.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OLechat For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (16 September 2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying, Ophelie.

The feedback score for these super sellers includes Site Quality feedback.
    Can you tell us anything about how "quality" is scored or weighted in the assessment of what's good quality?

If even one of the sites sold by a seller is reviewed as a dud by a buyer (we send out these feedback requests 3 months after the sale), the seller isn't eligible for Super Sellers.
    Sounds like a good way to knacker your competitor. Buy a site off them and then tell Flippa it was a dud. Also, as I mentioned earlier, some buyers don't fully understand what they're buying. That's often why we get complaints on here. Mostly they've been taken in by the sales hype about potential, passive income and profitability. (The three Ps of due diligence, according to the EP guide on the subject.) Just as not all sellers are believable, neither are buyers. I mean you get some who obviously don't know what they're doing. I wouldn't give any credence to their assessment of what constitutes "quality". Why does Flippa appear to believe in these assessments of quality?

Could you please show us an example of a feedback request? Do you send these to every buyer or only to some? If only some, how are they selected to be included in the feedback survey?

We also individually review the record and identity of each Super Seller online and offline.
    What does this mean? I can understand the identity part - you can verify that you're dealing with a real person and they are who they say they are. But what do you mean about reviewing their record online and offline? Either it's superficial or Flippa is going through a serious process of vetting its sellers.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post even though it seems to have created the need for more questions.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Aaaand great, I posted a reply yesterday and it apparently didn't publish. So let's try this again

Can you tell us anything about how "quality" is scored or weighted in the assessment of what's good quality?
    Site Quality score "weighs" the same as transaction feedback. Here's a bit more about Site Quality feedback. Basically, we send an email to every buyer at the 3 month mark, asking them whether they're happy with their purchase, and asking them for a short comment. If they are happy with the site, it's a positive; if they were misled by the seller, it's a negative.

Either it's superficial or Flippa is going through a serious process of vetting its sellers.
    There's a reason there are only 8 Super Sellers in our beta program. It's a time consuming process. If buyer response is positive, and if the Super Seller program contributes to marketplace health, we'll be ramping it up.

On a completely different note, I'll be leaving Flippa at the end of the week to take a role at SitePoint, so this may be my last message. It's been great getting to know everyone on this forum, in the limited way I have in the last 2 years. Thank you for your passion it's confronting at times, but always valuable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OLechat For This Useful Post:

DomainMagnate (24 January 2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Aaaand great, I posted a reply yesterday and it apparently didn't publish. So let's try this again
    I think the problem must have been at your side. We were running as normal here. I expected you'd reply and was looking forward to it. I kinda wondered why you hadn't.

Good luck with your new role at SitePoint! Won't we still see you on here with your new hat? I'm sure a lot of us will be sorry to see you go - me too. Also, I used to enjoy your Flippa email newsletters. Do you know who'll be taking over from you?

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Oh yes, the problem was absolutely on my end.

It's not clear yet who will be taking over at Flippa, but I'll be sure to suggest they introduce themselves here The Flippa newsletter is still being sent (and with a new design as of last week!) by my assistant, Olle.

I'll be sure to check in from time to time, and am always happy to answer questions, no matter where I wind up!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OLechat For This Useful Post:

Kay (19 September 2013)

+ Reply to Thread