+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News about Google's new algo

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG
    What is way more important is that G switched to 100% secure search - which means we dont see keyword sending traffic anymore!... No external tracking, no convertion optimization based on keyword groups .. all this is past.
    I don't completely understand what you mean. In ye olden days it was easy to use keywords to send traffic (and make money). Retargeting changed all that. Even so, I thought that keywords were still useful for ranking in the SERPs. Are you saying they're not or did I misunderstand? What do you mean by saying that keywords don't send traffic any more?

Mike, I see what you mean. Yes, I wanted to do something simple such as finding out before and after for some of my own sites. It never really occurred to me to get personalised results of what I would see in the SERPs as opposed to what anyone else would. Good point! Thanks for your suggestion of looking in G's webmaster tools, I'll give it a go tomorrow - even though I kinda doubt it'll enlighten us about what G is playing at now. As I said, I don't have much to do with G these days. I don't use their search engine and I've been gradually replacing their AdSense units with other things.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Just for you, Kay -

For a lot of purposes, the only way to get relevant keyword data these days is to buy it from third party services.

Gargyl have been keeping a lot of their data to themselves for a while now. About a year ago or more they formally stated their intention to do this gradually, and with every month the gargdata available to view has become less and less.

Remember that the data was originally intended for the use of Adwords advertisers, but has been far more useful to Adsense publishers over the years, so Gargyl sees this as a way of levelling the playing field. Which it might be, if Gargyl didn't have the data available for their own uses.

We're in the twilight zone these days. Gargyl control the vertical and the horizontal. And they have the revenue to strengthen their grip on the web until GOVERNMENTS feel threatened. Face it, they make so much money they could afford to buy Domenica from the Mafia.

Tell me they've become a new state of the US tomorrow by buying Wyoming and renaming Cheyenne as Gargville, and I'll only be surprised that it wasn't Fargo ND that they picked. Or Delaware.

The UK has anti-monopoly laws to (at least) promote competition between big players in most markets. The web is lawless.
    Last edited by crabfoot; 28 September 2013 at 2:47 pm.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (29 September 2013), Kay (28 September 2013)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    This article might provide further explanation.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

AndyG (1 October 2013), Chabrenas (29 September 2013), Dave McM (2 October 2013), Kay (29 September 2013)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Editor's Note: The following column is intended for immature audiences and probably won't be suitable for all readers, especially those who anger easily at the mention of the word "Google".
    I must be very immature because I thought it was hilarious. Also very useful to explain what'd I'd not understood from AndyG's post.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Established Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabfoot View Post
    This article might provide further explanation.
    Enjoyed that, picked my day up.
    I see why G would remove the keyword tool (to stop people shortcutting the system and make it harder for domainers to buy up all the popular phrases) but surely this also makes it harder for potential Adwords customers to choose keywords to bid on? If these customers cannot easily quantify the potential worth of a keyword or phrase they will be reluctant to pay for these, or at least I would.

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andyg
    What is way more important is that G switched to 100% secure search - which means we dont see keyword sending traffic anymore!... No external tracking, no convertion optimization based on keyword groups .. all this is past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I don't completely understand what you mean. In ye olden days it was easy to use keywords to send traffic (and make money). Retargeting changed all that. Even so, I thought that keywords were still useful for ranking in the SERPs. Are you saying they're not or did I misunderstand? What do you mean by saying that keywords don't send traffic any more?
    He's stating that you cannot see the referring keywords anymore. In the old days you could see the referring keyword and adjust the content on the fly. For example, I might want to drop my price on widgets for someone who got to the page using a keyword like "cheap widgets" and raise my price for someone who got to the page using a keyword like "best widgets" as they are displaying pricing elasticity through their choice of words.

Now you don't know what keyword the user searched for on Google to reach your page.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tke71709 For This Useful Post:

Kay (2 October 2013)

Established Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

Wanna put money on how long it'll take for the MMOers to start bringing out new Hummingbird-proof get-rich-quick products?
    I've received one today, 'how to Hummingbird-proof your website' -straight in the recycle bin!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nidec For This Useful Post:

Kay (3 October 2013)

+ Reply to Thread