+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News about Google's new algo

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

News about Google's new algo

The BBC published a story about this today. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out if it's intended to be comedy writing or if their writers are really quite so daft. Apparently this is written by their "North America Technology Correspondent".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24292897

Some highlights from the article:

The new algorithm, codenamed Hummingbird, is the first major upgrade for three years.
    Oh, yes? Perhaps he's never heard of Panda, Penguin, and all the other "upgrades" we've had to contend with.

At a presentation on Thursday, the search giant was short on specifics but said Hummingbird is especially useful for longer and more complex queries.
    Google? Short on specifics? Who on earth would believe that?

Anyway, I'd almost forgotten that G could be used as a search engine, as it's been a while since I bothered with it. I doubt if I'll be able to remember how to get there after all this time. Perhaps I should go over to my favourite search engine and do a search for "Google".
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

grynge (27 September 2013)

Top Contributor grynge is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 944 Posts
    Shows you how much I take notice of google these days, in that article was another link to a major news story Google Revamps Logo I hadn't noticed but then I probably haven't used google for a search for months now except maybe some testing.

Has anyone even noticed this new algo? I not looked and probably won't for a few weeks.
    And they thought me broken, that my tongue was coated lead, but I just couldn't make my words make sense to them, if you only listen with your ears ... I can't get in
    Non ducor, duco

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Has anyone even noticed this new algo?
    I generally visit the BBC website every day just in case there's been a some kind of political coup where I happen to be, or to find out if there's news that the world is going to end tomorrow. I just happened to stumble across the piece about the G algo change. Like you, I'm not bothered about it. However, curiosity and all that, I have some theories (conspiracy theories?) to explore and I'm trying to take a closer look at some of it.

For starters, I don't think that the G search algo is as squeaky clean and objective as they would like us to believe so I'm trying to find correlations between SERPs and other things. I can only do a small sample based on my own sites, but let's see what I can find and perhaps others can chip in with their findings. For example, dsieg58 has already suspected that SERP is related to AdWords campaigns.

Grynge, I wonder if we're unusual in not using G any more for search. Any idea if there's been a significant drift away from it? Could that be influencing them to change their ways? Actually, I doubt it because there must still be a huge number of Internet newbies who are wedded to G and think of it as being the be all and end all of the Internet.

Wanna put money on how long it'll take for the MMOers to start bringing out new Hummingbird-proof get-rich-quick products?

Does anyone have any idea how I could look at the G SERPs, say, a month ago without getting personalised results? Sorry if that's a dumb question but G was doing my head in so I stopped using it.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

QRLaker (27 September 2013)

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    ... if their writers are really quite so daft. ....

They are.

Mike

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Kay (27 September 2013)

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You'll get better information by starting with Forbes and following a few links. The underlying message seems to be that they've had enough of playing with indexing (all those upgrades based on the Caffeine release), so now that G is 15 years old it's prioritising keeping up with the mobile user's experiences and expectations, and showcasing a lot of its work on natural language queries.

Of course, there will also be whatever the G department tasked with maximising revenue does with these new tools...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Chabrenas - I don't understand what you're suggesting. I want to compare the G SERPs before and after the latest algo update. How will following links on Forbes enable me to do that?

Obviously I can see the G SERPs now. But, considering I've not been on G for a long time, I've no idea what they were before the latest algo update. Please explain to me why looking at Forbes or following links from there will enable me to make the comparison.

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sorry, I was addressing the OP - I should have quoted it. I can't see how you can view SERPS from a month ago other than saving the results of queries you submitted a month ago. I'm wondering if I've misunderstood your question.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I would like to do a comparison - Site A as it is in the SERPs now compared to how Site A was in the SERPs before the algo update.

If I routinely checked Site A in the SERPs, then I would know that it was, say, #2 on G last week and it's now at, say, #10. But I never use G these days so I don't have that info in my head and I don't know how to get it, or even if there is a way of getting it. If I could find that out, then I could take a sample of maybe half a dozen sites to see how they've been affected by the algo update. And others could add their results too so we can see if we can draw any conclusions.

Mind you, not many people on EP seem to care about G or its algos, so WTH? Does it matter? G's search engine could disappear in a puff of smoke tomorrow and I probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Dormant Account
    Thanks
    Hi Kay..

Yes i am one of those which still takes care about getting G traffic.

I do keywordtracking - and i did not note a difference on the last update..

What is way more important is that G switched to 100% secure search - which means we dont see keyword sending traffic anymore!... No external tracking, no convertion optimization based on keyword groups .. all this is past. NOW that's a shock for the SEO world - and also for serios Webmasters/Marketers

But that's maybe a topic for a new thread.

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I would like to do a comparison - Site A as it is in the SERPs now compared to how Site A was in the SERPs before the algo update.
    Well, if you are talking about your own site (that is, if you are the owner or operator of Site A), and if that site was enrolled in Google Webmaster Tools for at least a couple of months before the update, you could view the average ranking for a given query both before and after the update.

But that would be the average ranking for the query in question across all users. If you are only interested in the effect of the algo change on queries as seen by yourself, then you're right - there's no way of doing that.

In any case, even if you did have a good indication of how the ranking has changed, it wouldn't tell you if the change came about because of the algo change or because of any of a few dozen other factors.

Mike

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (27 September 2013), Kay (27 September 2013)

+ Reply to Thread