+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MNS are out - Authority sites are In - Still no big bucks from Adsense - Whats wrong ?

Trial Member
    Thanks

MNS are out - Authority sites are In - Still no big bucks from Adsense - Whats wrong ?

Hi All,

I used to make easy site with MNS back in the day. Now, I have intelligently moved to authority sites as Google hates micro niche sites now. Still, I see 0 to few clicks on my sites - What is wrong ? Is it just me or is adsense dead (almost) ?

Jo

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Hi Jo,

AdSense isn't dead - far from it. It's just a lot harder for the small guys to make money from it these days. There are many reasons for that.

Many of the old "get rich with AdSense" methods followed exactly the same recipe. The old way was to do keyword research, target high value keywords, build a niche site around the keywords, get the ad unit placement right, rank high in Google to get the "free" organic traffic, and make money while you sleep. And it did work for a while. They don't work any more. Too many things have changed.

Google didn't like people gaming the system in that way and cracked down on many sites using this method. They made several algo changes which blew these sites out of the water. Also, it's not so easy to rank high in G's SERPs any more because you have to compete harder with paid search, sites owned by G, and other things. It used to be easy to rank high by building inbound links, but after people abused the system to score millions of links from anywhere they could get them, they penalised for irrelevant links too. Also retargeting meant that it was no longer a simple matter of targeting high value keywords. Even if you can get visitors to your site, it's more likely these days that the ads shown on your site will be personalised to what they think the visitor's interests are and not relevant to the page content.

It's not impossible to make money with AdSense these days. I'm still doing it - but it's a lot less money. I've been gradually replacing my AS ad units with other things. Why waste advertising real estate on something that doesn't pay well? AdSense isn't dead, it's just tougher than it used to be.

What are you doing wrong? It seems as though you're concentrating on getting your traffic from Google. Why? There are hundreds of other ways to get traffic.

Even if you do want to base your efforts on getting traffic from G, not a great idea IMO, if you can't get AS to work for you, then you could try an alternative way to monetise.
    http://www.experienced-people.co.uk/...from-websites/

You say you're not getting clicks but you didn't mention how much traffic you're getting. If you're not getting much traffic, then you won't get a lot of clicks. Is it lack of traffic that's the real problem here?
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

QRLaker (4 October 2013), simplyjo (7 October 2013)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Hi Kay, I have to agree. the "gurus" are still minting money . Its just harder for noobs to break into the market.

Also, whats with all the autoblogs + wallpaper sites - How can they "STILL" mint big bucks from adsense when they are doing everything against Google TOS. I just dont get it - 1 person building authority site using quality unique articles is not rewarded with big paydays but people who copy content + images get away with it ! Grrr.

Yes I think traffic is the issue. I am only getting 1-2k visitors Per month on each of my sites. I know its not a lot So I think my focus should be on how to get more traffic first before wondering about ad placement+ not getting clicks. lol

Thanks Kay.!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Hi Jo,

AdSense isn't dead - far from it. It's just a lot harder for the small guys to make money from it these days. There are many reasons for that.

Many of the old "get rich with AdSense" methods followed exactly the same recipe. The old way was to do keyword research, target high value keywords, build a niche site around the keywords, get the ad unit placement right, rank high in Google to get the "free" organic traffic, and make money while you sleep. And it did work for a while. They don't work any more. Too many things have changed.

Google didn't like people gaming the system in that way and cracked down on many sites using this method. They made several algo changes which blew these sites out of the water. Also, it's not so easy to rank high in G's SERPs any more because you have to compete harder with paid search, sites owned by G, and other things. It used to be easy to rank high by building inbound links, but after people abused the system to score millions of links from anywhere they could get them, they penalised for irrelevant links too. Also retargeting meant that it was no longer a simple matter of targeting high value keywords. Even if you can get visitors to your site, it's more likely these days that the ads shown on your site will be personalised to what they think the visitor's interests are and not relevant to the page content.

It's not impossible to make money with AdSense these days. I'm still doing it - but it's a lot less money. I've been gradually replacing my AS ad units with other things. Why waste advertising real estate on something that doesn't pay well? AdSense isn't dead, it's just tougher than it used to be.

What are you doing wrong? It seems as though you're concentrating on getting your traffic from Google. Why? There are hundreds of other ways to get traffic.

Even if you do want to base your efforts on getting traffic from G, not a great idea IMO, if you can't get AS to work for you, then you could try an alternative way to monetise.
    http://www.experienced-people.co.uk/...from-websites/

You say you're not getting clicks but you didn't mention how much traffic you're getting. If you're not getting much traffic, then you won't get a lot of clicks. Is it lack of traffic that's the real problem here?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Kay, I have to agree. the "gurus" are still minting money .
    They probably are still raking in the money. The question is, "how?". One possible answer could be that they do it by selling products to teach other people how to make money - and often these are outdated methods. Never mind, the algo changes give the gurus a chance to bring out their latest offerings, which is the same old recipe updated to include something like "Panda-proof" or "Penguin-proof" to fool newbies into thinking it's really something new.

Also, whats with all the autoblogs + wallpaper sites - How can they "STILL" mint big bucks from adsense when they are doing everything against Google TOS. I just dont get it - 1 person building authority site using quality unique articles is not rewarded with big paydays but people who copy content + images get away with it ! Grrr.
    I don't know much about autoblogs and wallpaper sites, I've never had one. Perhaps someone else can answer that. If they are really still minting big bucks then maybe they're not relying on Google for their traffic. What some people seem to overlook sometimes is that you can run a site which doesn't rely on G for traffic, and sticking AdSense on it. Making money from AS just relies on getting traffic (by whatever means) and converting the traffic into exit clicks.

Another possibility is that people who claim they're making a heap of money often make false claims. This is especially true when they're trying to sell their sites. There are all kinds of ways to fake traffic and income figures in an attempt to achieve a higher sale price. Have a look in our Due Diligence forum.
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...ce-and-Gotchas!

In my experience there has never been much correlation between effort and reward when it comes to certain monetisation methods on the Internet. You can work your guts out producing something of good quality, while other people just chuck some rubbish together. It's often the biggest bullshitter who wins. In other cases, it could be the early adopter of a new market or loophole. It's sometimes the case that the guru will find something like this and milk it for all it's worth. When the flow of money starts to dwindle to a trickle, they sell it to teach others how they got rich.

It's not always like that, though. Some people can make a decent living online by doing other things. Perhaps they provide a good product or service which people want to buy. It's just that we sometimes get to hear more about the gurus because they're the ones shouting loudest.

Yes I think traffic is the issue.
    By all means concentrate on improving the traffic. Meanwhile it might also be worth having a look at how you're monetising the site(s).

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    If they are really still minting big bucks then maybe they're not relying on Google for their traffic.
    A lot of hearsay evidence - and some genuine experience - leads me to make some pragmatic statements -

Gargyl are now getting tougher on anything they consider dubious or bad quality. Within the "unification of their T&C" across their various sites procedure there are sneaky clauses which allow them to use information they gather from any source for whatever purpose they see fit.

In the past, people using Gargyl Analytics and Webmaster services to gather traffic data were able to do just that. Nowadays, it is likely that their data is making much more of a contribution to Gargyl's database than formerly.

Gargyl have some sensibility to their customers' historic activities, so they are not jumping on everything immediately.

What does that mean in practice? If you have a crummy autoblog that has not already been kicked in the teeth by Gargyl's reviews, and it is running Adsense, Analytics, and Webmasters, you had better be careful.

Re-positioning the Adsense units, or trying different units, could be enough to provoke Gargyl into re-assessing the site.

Also, if you buy a site and change the Analytics or Webmasters account, the site will be re-assessed and you run the risk of the spiders reporting back that the site is sub-standard.

Any changes made to Gargyl services on a site may now provoke re-assessment, which can result in the site being de-indexed by Gargyl. When it happened to me, the site was de-indexed without explanation, except that I was pointed to "help" pages which suggested that Gargyl thought that it was a "funnel" site. I was given the opportunity to have the site submitted for human re-assessment.

In Gargyl terms, the site was a funnel site - most of the information was woffle, and the only helpful way out for a user was to click on an ad. I admit I put it together from the terrible material left behind by the previous owner, a Turk who thought he could get away with autotranslating his articles.

I could see that the site had gone downhill because the Turk was trying to run ads for gambling and gaming, and Gargyl definitely doesn't like that. I could also see that his crummy drivel about various kinds of insurance was exactly right for encouraging people to click on ads, so I resurrected those articles and was able to get big value clicks - but only briefly, because the site was de-indexed as soon as it was submitted to Webmasters.

My conclusions are that if a patently dodgy site is still making a return from Adsense, don't change any Gargyl parameters on it. If it was up for sale, I would not buy it without a clause saying that I can hand it back if it gets de-indexed when submitted to Analytics/Webmasters, or when the Adsense details are changed to my own account.

You may still see a few old and substandard sites making money from Adsense. To my mind, that is because none of the Gargyl relevant parameters have been changed for a long time. The way they're working, it seems they are just waiting for a tiny change in anything Gargyl-ish to give them a reason to pounce.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (9 October 2013), Kay (8 October 2013), simplyjo (8 October 2013)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the solid inputs guys. I agree that a sub standard site might not last long especially with minor changes like GA / ad units etc. Have to be careful while buying too - I see a lot of people there to scam .

Thanks Kay, I will check out the due diligence sub forum.

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    This survey says some relevant things - just out today.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (9 October 2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You pipped me at the post as that was something I'd collected to write about in the next EP email newsletter which is due to be sent out soon.

People should remember, though, that the results of the survey are based on the opinions of search marketing professionals. Whilst one hopes that their experience means that they know what they're doing, it's still just speculation and not fact about G's algo.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (9 October 2013)

+ Reply to Thread