+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is blogging dead?

Trial Member
    Thanks

Is blogging dead?

I've not found a site I want to buy so I thought I might start one of my own. A blog seems to be the easiest, but I've read that theres no money in blogging anymore. Is that true?

What else could I do? I've heard of deals where you buy the domain and hosting and they build the site for you. Is that a good idea?

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I don't think that blogging is dead, although it's true to say it can be difficult to make money from it. It's also tougher these days because almost everyone has a blog and you'd probably be competing with millions of hobby bloggers too. I still have a few blogs but they don't make much money. I use my personal blog as a platform to explore subjects and say what I want about them without any editorial restrictions. There again, I've made very little effort to monetise it.

Perhaps if you start a blog as a business from day 1 and focus on monetising it, it's possible you could succeed but the odds are stacked against you. Good luck if that's what you decide to do.

What else could you do? Loads of things! Set up an eCommerce site, publish on Kindle, create something and sell it or sell other products and services as an affiliate... Have a look through our MMO forum for some ideas.

Don't get a domain and hosting from the same place. Also, these DFY (done for you) offerings are often not in your best interests. We have several threads about these subjects, it's just a case of digging them out.

Maybe others here will disagree. I'm not sure if anyone here has a blog for its own sake or if they use their blog as part of their wider business activities. Most businesses these days have a blog attached to them. It's quite difficult to think of one which hasn't.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Established Member
    Thanks
    I'm on the same page as Kay. I don't think that blogging is dead but there are so many blogs that breaking out from the pack and getting enough traffic to monetize the blog will be challenging. In the past, when a lot of people were coming online for the first time, a new blog might grab a portion of these new internet users. Now, a new blog needs to pull in users who may already be blog-weary. To do that, you had better have terrific content that distinguishes you from the millions of other bloggers already out there.

I would also say the same thing, though, about the alternatives. Kay lists setting up an eCommerce site, publishing on Kindle, or selling products and services of your own or as an affiliate. All of those workbut in each case you need to build a better mousetrap if you want to have a reasonable chance to succeed. Simply copying someone else's idea and providing a "me too" alternative can work sometimes but if you are not ready to distinguish yourself from the competition, you will need a lot of good luck instead.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

Kay (12 October 2013)

Thanks
    Blogging is very much alive, it's still probably the easiest way to get start with some online money making adventures.

Still takes some effort to generate traffic though. But as long as you post quality stuff and do some networking and promotion to get the word out you should be good. It's not hard to start making a few bucks this way, however it gets exponentially harder to make a good revenue from it.

Trial Member
    Thanks
    I have a small private blog network of 10 sites all built on Wordpress platform. I still blog on a regular basis and still see its effectiveness in ranking my main site. The only thing you should keep in mind is, SEO has involved and you need to focus on post Quality rather than quantity.

+ Reply to Thread