+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is SEO even worth bothering with anymore?

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    What a load of BS. You only get those results if you create the sites in the way the search engines want. Put a site up that tells people how to make millions of dollars a year, and the search engines will ignore it, if it doesn't have pictures and/or video.
    Search engines (Google) will ignore just about any for profit site whether it has pictures and/or video or not. I have both, fully optimized, on top of being an authority site, and a content site. With .edu and .gov links pointing in, and it is STILL ignored. I doesn't it matters anymore even if DO create the site the way that want it created. Maybe it is just the niche or keywords in in, but I can't crack it no matter what I do, and I've hired quite few experts and they can't either. We're not talking an overly competitive niche like "weight loss" either. The ONLY thing that has made a difference is using Google Adwords, which miraculously puts me at number 10 on the first page. If I stop the adwords I go off the page. With Google, money talks and S#$t walks.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsieg
    Search engines (Google) will ignore just about any for profit site whether it has pictures and/or video or not.
    David, I don't really 'get' what you're saying here. Maybe we have different views about what "for profit" means. More to the point, what does "for profit" mean to G and its algo?

Take a blog, for example, most blogs don't make a profit. However, many - if not most - blog owners would like to at least get a little bit of financial reward for their efforts, and also something in the kitty to pay for the blog's resources. Thus the blog owner sticks some advertising on it, say AdSense. At what point does that blog become a "for profit" rather than a "not for profit" site? Has the blog owner's intention changed from being altruistic or engaged on a labour of love because he put a few ad units up? Do adverts suggest to G that a site is "for profit"? Even well respected and established non-profit organisations accept advertising sometimes, eg the RSPCA promotes holidays and insurance through commercial "partnerships". The RSPCA is still a non-profit org by most people's definition. But how does an algo define "not for profit"? Is it possible for an algo to do that?

I believe your observation that the presence of AdWords affected the SERPs, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. I would have thought that AdWords and the algo are dealt with by two different G departments, each operating independently of the other, in the same way as AdSense is independent of the algo. Hmm, it's all becoming a bit clearer now (or is it?). On the one hand you've got AS yelling "More! Bigger!" trying to get webmasters to add more ad units, and then on the other hand the algo punishes the site for running excessive advertising. So, in fact, the presence of AdSense DOES affect the algo - often by pushing the site down in the SERPs. Are you saying that there's a similar, but opposite, effect for AdWords? The presence of an AdWords campaign positively affects the algo? You could be right. We've seen quite a few phenomena which several of us have observed, yet we're constantly told that our observations/hunches aren't correct or based on fact. Then when the "truth" emerges much later, it turns out that we were right all along and the naysayers were simply spreading Google's misinformation.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

dsieg58 (28 December 2013)

Publishing Mentor dsieg58 is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 565 Posts
    But how does an algo define "not for profit"? Is it possible for an algo to do that?
    I have no idea. What I know is that Google seems to play favorites now. If not, then why is it you can follow all their content guidelines, yet still rank poorly? And sites which don't follow their guidelines, rank better? Oh, that's because they have more/better/bigger backlinks, you say. Except, there are many ways to see EXACTLY what there back links are, how many, and where they comes from. (Market Samurai, anyone?) So it's NOT that. It must be something else.

Are you saying that there's a similar, but opposite, effect for AdWords? The presence of an AdWords campaign positively affects the algo?
    Yes, I am. I've tested this hypothesis a number of times now. The last time, just last month. I activate my adwords, and I'm on the front page. I shut them off, and I disappear. Turn them back on, front page. Off, disappear. All I can tell you in my experience. Let's not forget Occam's Razor.

+ Reply to Thread