+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flippa Auction

Trial Member
    Thanks

Flippa Auction

Stumbled across an interesting one. Bascially, he is claiming almost $3k in Adsense revenue, from 203 uniques, and 280k pageviews. Bounce rate is >80%, and average time on the site is about .45. I don't see any way on earth this is generating that kind of revenue, but his Adsense is verified through Flippa. This is something I see a lot on Flippa (Verified Adsense that doesn't pass the smell test). What gives? https://flippa.com/3002965-pr-3-site...aking-2-768-mo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Buyjove For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (11 December 2013)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    I agree that this smells a funny color, but let us see if someone from Flippa has something to say before Clinton notices your post.

Meantime, I believe CashNinja is about to offer a service renting out 10 foot quant poles in the buy and sell section ...

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    It certainly smells bad and wouldn't pass even a simple sanity check - as has been already noticed in this thread. However, it's not unusual at all and is a basic check to do in the due diligence process. Here's a brief excerpt about verifying AdSense from the EP Guide to DD.

...you need to be aware of common tricks which sellers might use. Website owners often have various sites set up within one AS account. In order for them to know which sites, or parts of any sites are bringing in the income, they usually set up “channels’. If you’re buying a site and the seller gives you screenshots of his AS account, even if he’s not faking the screenshots, it’s possible that the figures include more than only the channel(s) for the site which you’re interested in. This may be by accident (perhaps the webmaster’s copied the site’s template to another website owned by the seller, and forgotten to change the AS advert codes), or it could be by design (deliberately inserting the AS codes from the site being sold into a much busier site’s pages, or generating stats from channels that are named for the site being sold but are really on multiple sites).
    As you'd expect, there are ways for the buyer to verify AdSense figures for himself. However, the fact that Flippa "verifies" these figures can lull the buyer into a false sense of security. The inexperienced buyer often thinks that the "verified" figures in the sales listing can be relied on when in fact that's far from the truth.

It certainly would be interesting to hear what Flippa has to say on the matter, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. The subject of Flippa's misleading terminology has often been raised here, but as of yet we've had no satisfactory answer from them about what they mean by "verified" and what exactly they're verifying.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    I don't find it odd at all that a site with those traffic stats could earn that revenue in Adsense. In fact, two or three thousand dollars isn't really that great for a site with 200k+ unique visits a month. And, bounce rate will typically have an inverse relationship with Adsense earnings, specifically the CTR on Adsense, as when more people are clicking ads it shows up as more bounces.

Having said that, there are other points of concern on that auction that would cause me to shy away. I just don't understand why anyone would have trouble believing that a site with 200k unique visits could earn $3k from Adsense.

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I looked at the OP, which said, "Bascially, he is claiming almost $3k in Adsense revenue, from 203 uniques..." and didn't click through to look at the actual listing. It wouldn't be the first time an outrageous revenue claim had been posted on Flippa.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure he meant 203k uniques

+ Reply to Thread