+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to market a .COM portfolio on Flippa?

Trial Member
    Thanks

How to market a .COM portfolio on Flippa?

Hey there,

This is my first post on these forums. After looking around for a bit I plan to stay for a while.

Recently I've put online a 7 days auction of my 27 .COM domains portfolio at Flippa. I would say that these domains are quite valuable. However, to increase interest and bidding activity, I started the auction with no reserve price at USD 1. While there have indeed been 25 bids, I feel like the auction is not nearly getting enough attention for its value.

Moreover, the current bidders are only incrementing with small amounts. Therefore I'm not really sure if they are serious or not. On retrospect it might have been a mistake to expect people to bid early on. Also, I feel like some people mistakenly interpreted the low starting value for a cheap sale.

In any case, I was wondering if anyone here has similar experiences. Without listing the auction (I don't want to sound as if I'm advertising), would you expect the activity to increase? Also, I would appreciate any feedback on what I could do to ensure that some serious domain investors or traders notice the portfolio.

Cheers,
    Tom

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Hi Tom and welcome to Experienced People. Sorry, I don't know much about marketing to serious domain investors on Flippa, but I did have a look at your listing. I thought it was clear and well written. Some offers on Flippa read like WSO sales pages. It's good that you've had some interest already, I expect things will heat up a bit as the auction draws closer to the end (still four days to go). Good luck!

I'm curious as to why you've based you've based your valuations on Instica estimates. Do you think that these are likely to impress buyers? Is there any evidence to show that the Instica figures are a reliable guide to sales prices in the real world? There are plenty of other automated valuation tools (eg Estibot) and I'm not sure that buyers put too much faith in this type of valuation. Did you try running the domains through any of the other estimation tools? You might find very different results.

Is Flippa the best place to reach serious domain investors? Now the auction is live how else can you alert them to this offer? Perhaps some people on EP might notice them, and maybe you can alert potential buyers on other forums. I'm not sure how to help. Maybe some of the brokers who hang out on EP will be able to advise you.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

tommedema (24 December 2013)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Hi Tom and welcome to Experienced People. Sorry, I don't know much about marketing to serious domain investors on Flippa, but I did have a look at your listing. I thought it was clear and well written. Some offers on Flippa read like WSO sales pages. It's good that you've had some interest already, I expect things will heat up a bit as the auction draws closer to the end (still four days to go). Good luck!

I'm curious as to why you've based you've based your valuations on Instica estimates. Do you think that these are likely to impress buyers? Is there any evidence to show that the Instica figures are a reliable guide to sales prices in the real world? There are plenty of other automated valuation tools (eg Estibot) and I'm not sure that buyers put too much faith in this type of valuation. Did you try running the domains through any of the other estimation tools? You might find very different results.

Is Flippa the best place to reach serious domain investors? Now the auction is live how else can you alert them to this offer? Perhaps some people on EP might notice them, and maybe you can alert potential buyers on other forums. I'm not sure how to help. Maybe some of the brokers who hang out on EP will be able to advise you.
    That's some very helpful advise, thanks!

I agree that the Instica estimates may not be trustworthy or accurate. Unfortunately I don't have an account at EstiBot and therefore cannot appraise 27 domains. I added them thinking that it might compensate for the currently low bids people are placing, but maybe I was too naive?

Do you think that it is better to remove the Instica estimates? Or Perhaps you know some other tools than Estibot and Instica?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    There are plenty of other tools which are intended to give estimated valuations. Unfortunately, some of their estimates can seem a bit bizarre sometimes, even to the extent that you wonder if it's a random number generator rather than a tool you're using. Also each one will give you a different answer based on whatever algo they're using for their estimate. For example, Instica values zidly.com at $6384 whereas Estibot values it at $0 (ouch!). I don't normally use it but I've certainly seen more than a few people include the Estibot value when they're selling a domain. But even Estibot, just like all the other domain valuation tools, only gives estimates which are often wildly off-target.

Probably your best bet to get more realistic opinions about how much a domain is worth is to ask experienced domainers - NamePros is a good domaining forum. You might also be lucky and get some opinions on here too, but this is a quiet time for us because of the festive season.

Now that you've included the Instica estimates in the comments of your listing, removing them might draw more attention than just leaving them there. These sort of estimates might impress inexperienced buyers on Flippa but I don't honestly think they'd impress savvy buyers. Worse still, some people might think that you're an inexperienced seller for paying any heed to such estimates.

Somehow, you need to raise awareness of your auction and get more eyeballs onto it. But I wouldn't panic just yet as some potential buyers are likely to move in when the auction gets nearer its closing date.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

tommedema (24 December 2013)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    There are plenty of other tools which are intended to give estimated valuations. Unfortunately, some of their estimates can seem a bit bizarre sometimes, even to the extent that you wonder if it's a random number generator rather than a tool you're using. Also each one will give you a different answer based on whatever algo they're using for their estimate. For example, Instica values zidly.com at $6384 whereas Estibot values it at $0 (ouch!). I don't normally use it but I've certainly seen more than a few people include the Estibot value when they're selling a domain. But even Estibot, just like all the other domain valuation tools, only gives estimates which are often wildly off-target.

Probably your best bet to get more realistic opinions about how much a domain is worth is to ask experienced domainers - NamePros is a good domaining forum. You might also be lucky and get some opinions on here too, but this is a quiet time for us because of the festive season.

Now that you've included the Instica estimates in the comments of your listing, removing them might draw more attention than just leaving them there. These sort of estimates might impress inexperienced buyers on Flippa but I don't honestly think they'd impress savvy buyers. Worse still, some people might think that you're an inexperienced seller for paying any heed to such estimates.

Somehow, you need to raise awareness of your auction and get more eyeballs onto it. But I wouldn't panic just yet as some potential buyers are likely to move in when the auction gets nearer its closing date.
    Thanks, I agree.

"Somehow, you need to raise awareness of your auction and get more eyeballs onto it."

This is also my main concern. I'm afraid that if not enough serious people see it a fair market value will never be reached.

I wonder if it may be worth paying for advertising the auction at e.g. NamePros.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yep, it's definitely worth giving NamePros a try. As far as I can figure out from their marketplace rules, you can advertise domains/sites at auction for free (up to a specified number of adverts). I've no idea if you need a certain post count before you can post in there. If you're not already an established NamePros member, you'd probably better check their rules about all that and not end up doing the wrong thing.

If anyone on here is interested, they'll have figured out the listing URL on Flippa by now, but just in case it helps to publicise it, here's a link:
    https://flippa.com/3008762-bundle-of...-puttowork-com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

tommedema (25 December 2013)

+ Reply to Thread