+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Value My Earning Network Please

Trial Member
    Thanks

Value My Earning Network Please

Many years ago my wife began writing evergreen articles about womenís hairstyles on the Internet almost as a hobby. Along the way she developed two web sites http://www.visual-makeover(dot)com and http://www.hairstyle-blog(dot)com. The sites have done well in the past reaching peak performance in 2010 when the sites had a combined total of 7,826,246 page views. The sites have been monetized by selling advertising space. My wife disliked the technical side of the business and was never really all that interested in maximizing revenue and as such has never invested in improving the performance of the sites. The traffic to the sites has been primarily from two sources organic search engines and social media. The Google updates have taken a heavy toll on the traffic and in 2013 the combined total page views had dropped to 981,336. Her revenue in 2013 was $15,166 and her profit was $14,381. My wife has developed arthritis in her hands and can no longer keep up the websites. Iím a retired businessman with mergers and acquisition experience and it has fallen to my lot to find a buyer. Neither of us have the interest in investing the time or energy in the technical experts who might be able to bring the sites back to their former glory. Below are some stats that might be useful, but please ask if I can provide more.
    Hairstyle-blog:
    • Domain Registration Date; 9/1/2005
    • Google Page Rank 3
    • Domain Authority 39
    • Alexa Rank 753,367
    • Pages of content 1,270
    • 4,508,043 Page Views in 2010
    • 685,776 Page Views in 2013

Visual-Makeover:
    • Domain Registration Date: 10/15/2001
    • Google Page Rank 3
    • Domain Authority 34
    • Alexa Rank 1,691,192
    • Pages of content: 165
    • 3,318,203 Page Views in 2010
    • 295,560 Page Views in 2013

Social Media Followers:
    • 21,183 Pinterest
    • 30,458 on Facebook
    • 49,727 on Google+
    • 19,242 on Twitter
    • 1,366 Newsletter Subscribers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to garyfugere For This Useful Post:

Clinton (29 January 2014)

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    How stable is that revenue since the drop? Was it consistent (or close to it in 2013)? Does that net figure include content costs?

If the revenue has been consistent recently and the net inclusive of content costs, you would be looking at around $28-35k (35k being optimistic, 28k being conservative).

If it is consistently dropping still and requires an owner to write regular content themselves, then expect a far lower number than above.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

garyfugere (28 January 2014)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Her revenue in 2013 was $15,166 and her profit was $14,381 (including all content servicing), which is down at least 50% from 2012. The traffic seems to be stabilizing. My guess is that the sites will gradually decline in both traffic and revenues without some attention given to SEO issues. Do you think I would be smart to sell the sites separately?.

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If it is still gradually declining and needs some work to get back in the right direction then $22-28k might be a more realistic range (assuming you go with a highly qualified buyer and not a random idiot on Flippa). You could, of course, get more, but I'd say it's unlikely it would go much higher unless you got lucky and went with a lower caliber buyer (and I don't believe in luck!).

If they were mine or I was advising you as a client, I would say it's best to sell them as a bundle as it's easier and they are somewhat connected.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

garyfugere (29 January 2014)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Am I going to be able to find a broker who would be willing to take this on, or am I going to have to go it alone?

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Gary, I liked your opening post - all the pertinent information presented concisely!

Have you considered leasing? I notice one of our members, Justin, has posted about this on his blog. We've had some threads on the topic as well but you're going to have to do a Google site: search.

If you do want to just sell, I'm sure you'll find a broker. Thomas is a broker and I've used him in the past. Good guy. But there are a few other brokers here as well - most of the top brokers signed up at one point or the other.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (30 January 2014), garyfugere (29 January 2014), Thomas (29 January 2014)

+ Reply to Thread