+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PM quota

Thanks

PM quota

Hey guys,

I keep getting an error that I reached the maximum PM quota, when trying to send a PM. Is that a recent change? What's the quota currently? thanks

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Do try to keep up at the back there, Michael. The rule change about PMs was implemented back in April 2013.

As most people are aware, I took over the day to day running of the forum from Clinton in November 2012. I said at the time that I couldn't afford to be a philanthropist in the same way as Clinton. Every hour I spend here is an hour away from the time I can spend earning money to pay my bills. Faced with the choice of the forum closing down or paying something to support it, many people said how they'd be happy to support the forum by paying for membership. BTW, this isn't a profit-making effort. On the rare occasions when there's been money in the kitty, it's been used to create resources for the Premium Members, eg the Guide to DD. It would be great to do more like that, but it has to be paid for somehow. Clinton used to pay for a lot out of his own pocket and then give everything away for free. I can't do that and so I asked the members for support.

Loads of people said how much they wanted the forum to continue and how happy they'd be to help to support it. Of course, it was a completely different story when they were asked for money. Many of them scuttled off. Some of those who remained took a somewhat calculating approach of the ROI on an ad spend with EP rather than seeing it as an opportunity to help to keep the place going. And yet others just whinged because it wasn't all a big freebie fest for them any more. But most people already know all this.

The bottom line is that there's still a lot available for free. And EP still offers independent and unbiased advice. We don't make money by selling stuff for affiliate commissions and we haven't entered into any partnerships which might hamper our ability to be independent and objective.

Premium Members get more privileges than free members. That seems fair. The Premium Members are the ones who pay to keep the place going. There's still plenty to be had here for those who want to take what they can get for nothing.

All rule changes, membership rules, FAQs, etc are still in the same place as they've always been, ie here in the "Forum Rules, News & Feedback" forum. Additionally, before changes are implemented they're flagged up well ahead of time in these prominent yellow notice thingies at the top of various forums, especially if the members might need to take any action. Eg, the PM changes were flagged up weeks/months ahead of time in the yellow notices.

Just in case there's anyone else who has just returned from the Delta Quadrant, there's more info about Premium Membership here:
    http://experienced-people.net/forums...read.php/11317
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

New Member Mentor JimWaller is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    For those unable to follow a link, here is the table that explains the difference between free and Premium membership:

There are additional benefits to Premium membership, but the table should answer the question about PMs.
    Help bring Janice home My mother-in-law was hospitalized while on vacation (holiday) We're trying to bring her home.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimWaller For This Useful Post:

Kay (31 January 2014)

Thanks
    Ah, thanks Kay and Jim, I was away at the time and missed a lot I can see!

I do like EP, it's the only place I know where you can have an intelligent discussion with other experienced site owners, buyers and sellers. However it seems to have been a lot less active lately. I wonder how many premium members are there?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It's been a difficult path in many ways, but I've done my best to keep the place going despite often difficult circumstances. One thing that can be mildly annoying at times is getting the blame for things that were not of my doing. A certain group of people had already withdrawn from EP before I took over. But people see a cause and effect relationship in the two unrelated incidents as they both happened within a short time of each other, and they don't realise which actually happened first. Another thing is that I wanted to start afresh with my own team. Yet I've heard it said that the old mods went on strike because of me. Oh, there are plenty of unfounded stories that people believe. I guess that's up to them.

I have tried very hard to create discussions, help newbies, and find interesting things to talk about but sometimes it's like fighting a losing battle because there are so many people who do nothing more than suck up all the information and leave without even contributing an opinion. I can't force people to post.

If it's not active, then it's because people aren't active. There are only so many threads we can start and conversations we can have between those few that actually post anything. Is it because there are no interesting topics to discuss? Then why not post something interesting? You see, some people want it all done to suit them, yet they don't want to join in. In some cases, people only join in if they see an opportunity for them to talk up their business.

How active or not the forum is has nothing to do with the number of Premium Members. We could have 500 of them and if they don't post, then it isn't any more active than it would be if we had 5 or 50. If people don't post, then it's not active. It's the same as the public forums. Look down at the bottom where it lists which members are online. You'll see some people who are here most days. But the forum isn't any more active because of their presence. Not if they're not posting. And sending each other and newbies PMs doesn't make the forum any more active either.

There are perhaps people who would say I don't provide what the members want. Well, I do listen to what people say they want. They said they wanted a cheap place to list sites for sale. They got one. It costs $1.99 per listing. The discussion ran to 4 pages about what people said they wanted - dofollow links, forum to be spidered, etc. They got everything they asked for. But even that didn't suit them - they still didn't use it.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Thanks
    Kay, you are doing a great job on managing EP.
    I used to run and moderate some forums, but overall I don't have enough experience with that to provide any tips or advice. I think there is some randomness in that as well. More weekly threads on flippa, buying/selling sites, some recent industry news, might help spur more discussions I guess.

New Member Mentor JimWaller is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Another thing to remember about the level of activity, what happens in the Premium Lounge "stays" in the Premium Lounge. Meaning the activity inside the Premium Lounge doesn't show to the non-premium members. I think some premium members prefer the privacy in the Premium Lounge so they prefer to post there.
    Help bring Janice home My mother-in-law was hospitalized while on vacation (holiday) We're trying to bring her home.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    More weekly threads on flippa, buying/selling sites, some recent industry news, might help spur more discussions I guess.
    They might help to spur more discussions... and they might not. It's not worked before and there's no reason to suppose it'll suddenly start to work now. People are often full of ideas about what they think should happen here, but very little of it is actually of any use. It doesn't really matter what goes on the public forums and with what frequency if the problem remains that there are too many lurkers and leeches around and not enough people who will even contribute a few minutes of their time to post something.

Jim, I also prefer the Premium Lounge - and it can be whatever the Premium Members want it to be. If someone wants something we don't already have, then we try to provide it. (I'm currently working on something as a result of a question that was asked last week.) It somehow seems a lot more rewarding than creating discussion after discussion for those who suck it all up and then move on.

I hope dsieg58 doesn't mind me taking his name in vain but he's done a lot more of that recently too. Instead of posting all his good stuff in the public publishing forum like he used to, he puts it into the private subforum in the Premium Lounge these days. It's a better environment for sharing in there anyway, and people don't seem to mind discussing what they've learned (and even talking about earnings sometimes!). There are things in there I wouldn't dream of talking about in a public place where you never know who is snooping on you and reading everything you write.

That's one of the strange things about this supposed lack of activity. Answer me this - if it's not interesting, then why do some people read every darned thing ever written on here?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

JimWaller (2 February 2014)

+ Reply to Thread