+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matt Cutts - "guest blogging is done"

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts

Matt Cutts - "guest blogging is done"

And now Catt Mutts (phrase copyright crabfoot 2013), that mine of mystery and misinformation, is on his soapbox again about nofollow links, this time in the context of guest blogging.
    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/guest-blogging/

Be very careful of guest blogging as a way to get links. Apparently a lot of people have done this in a spammy way so Google's attitude to it is:

So stick a fork in it: guest blogging is done; it’s just gotten too spammy. In general I wouldn’t recommend accepting a guest blog post unless you are willing to vouch for someone personally or know them well. Likewise, I wouldn’t recommend relying on guest posting, guest blogging sites, or guest blogging SEO as a linkbuilding strategy.
    Honestly, I checked the domain a couple of times to make sure I really was where I thought I was. Is this for real? It sounds kinda like a joke to me. Did I get this right? Some people have been trying to game the algo by using spammy blog posts so now G has decided that it's over for everyone except when it's not. And it'll be OK if you use nofollow links. He's been saying this for years.

And then at the end he says he didn't mean what he said or say what he meant and he's since changed his blog post title to reflect this.

Well, I sure am glad he explained all that. I feel like I have a much better handle on this guest blogging thing now. I'd never even thought to use guest blogging as means to game G's algo, I thought it was just a way of creating extra pages of content which you can stick adverts onto.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

Clinton (4 February 2014), crabfoot (4 February 2014), dsieg58 (4 February 2014), Mikl (4 February 2014)

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, Kay. I must say that, the more I read this sort of thing, the more it makes me want to close my eyes to the whole Matt Cutts / SEO thing, and just get on with the job of creating useful websites that I hope my visitors will enjoy.

Actually, I'd go further, and say I'm getting just a little tired of Mr C. He's set himself up as some sort of arbiter of quality, but he seems to be so far removed from the real world as to be almost completely irrelevant. He's also a poor communicator. "So stick a fork in it: guest blogging is done; it’s just gotten too spammy". Talk about lousy English.

In fact, compared to his output, the spam email that he quoted was a model of clarity and good salesmanship. I can't see all that much to object to in it (at least, not in the content; I don't necessarily approve of the fact that it was unsolicited). So, the seller was offering to pay for the blog post; and he asked for a couple of "dofollow" links. So what? That should be entirely a matter between the blog publisher and their readers.

I think I'll just stop reading these outpourings. But don't let that stop you bringing any particularly interesting ones to our attention.

Mike

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Clinton (4 February 2014), dsieg58 (4 February 2014), Kay (4 February 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    As a result of Catt Mutts' methods, trading in G shares was suspended after Panda 1 - you can bet your sweet bippy that he got plenty of earache about that in private. You can also bet that the G dance would have been a lot nastier than it has been on subsequent occasions if he was not subject to constraints.

He can't risk implementing the measures he really wants to use, or he might be out of a job. He can't give reasons in public, or he might give away "algorithmic glimpses".

All he can do is ASSERT what he doesn't like, without giving reasons, and re-iterate what he does like - again, without giving reasons.

That doesn't annoy the management, and he still gets paid to do it.

I bet he wonders why the world thinks he's a twit ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Kay (4 February 2014), Mikl (5 February 2014)

+ Reply to Thread