+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Server Location and SEO, another myth?

Thanks

Server Location and SEO, another myth?

Hi all,

I heard multiple times that where you host a website can affect the SEO. And that a website targeting UK customers should be hosted in a UK server.
    I tested myself and saw no difference.
    I have a website targeting the keywords "wordpress developer in amsterdam" but the website was located in US.
    After moving to a hosting based in Amsterdam, I saw no effect on the SERP...
    I waited a bit to draw my conclusion, but after two months I can say that SEO is not impacted by the location of the server.

What's your experience?

Ciao

2. The Following User Says Thank You to danieleB For This Useful Post:

Kay (13 February 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danieleB View Post
    Hi all,

I heard multiple times that where you host a website can affect the SEO. And that a website targeting UK customers should be hosted in a UK server.
    I tested myself and saw no difference.
    I have a website targeting the keywords "wordpress developer in amsterdam" but the website was located in US.
    After moving to a hosting based in Amsterdam, I saw no effect on the SERP...
    I waited a bit to draw my conclusion, but after two months I can say that SEO is not impacted by the location of the server.

What's your experience?

Ciao
    That sort of thing used to be a bigger problem than it is today. The spiders have been trained to get the hang of a site's target market location much better than was the case in the past, and many people use US hosts, wherever their site's market is targeted.

You might still get problems if you are trying to target US traffic, but your hosting is all European, but generally speaking, the host location is irrelevant these days.

Three or four years ago, it still mattered in some cases, but the situation has improved a lot. In those days, there was a way inside Google to say where your site's target market was located. It's been so long since I had to tell anyone about it that I can't remember how to do it!

It was not a myth - it happened - but it is a problem that has been overcome.
    Last edited by crabfoot; 14 February 2014 at 7:35 am.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

danieleB (15 February 2014), Kay (14 February 2014)

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    I'm inclined to disagree. The server location does have an effect, but it's not necessarily a negative one, and it's not really "an effect on SEO". Rather, it is one of several signals used by Google to determine if your site's location matches that of your target audience - and only if it considers that to be relevant.

For example, if a searcher in the Netherlands is trying to find a Wordpress developer, Google might assume that the searcher wants to find a firm that is also in the Netherlands. To identify such a firm, it will look at a prospective site's top-level country domain (".nl" in this case), the language of the site, the geo-targeting specified by site operator in Google Webmaster Tools (if any), and the server's location.

That last item is probably the least important, but it could well have a small effect in some cases. In any case, this will only affect searches where Google considers location to be relevant. And it's not necessarily a negative effect. If the server location matches what Google perceives to be that of the audience, it might well improve your rankings. But, again, the effect will be a slight one.

Mike

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (14 February 2014), danieleB (15 February 2014), Kay (15 February 2014)

Thanks
    Thanks folks!
    I adjusted the geotargeting in Google Webmaster Tools, let's see if there will be any impact on the SERP of the geotargetted country

+ Reply to Thread