+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing your Amazon Country

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Changing your Amazon Country

Currently, I am registered as an amzon.fr customer. Most of the time, that suits me well enough - I pay in Euros, so don't suffer currency charges on very small sums when I buy a book. However, every now and then I come across a Kindle book whose .fr price is much higher than its .com price - usually when it comes from a mainstream publisher, so it would actually be cheaper to buy if from .com. Very recently, .fr has started asking if I have moved, and offering to move my account to another country (in practice, they only offer me .com, not even .co.uk). I wonder how often they would allow me to change. If it's meant to allow downloading while on vacation abroad, there shouldn't be any significant restriction, but I'm loath to try moving to .com for a few purchases and then moving back to .fr a week later until I know more.

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Have you considered opening a separate account for each Amazon store where you might make purchases? So you would use amazon.fr for most of your purchases, but you would also have accounts at .com and .co.uk for use when necessary.

As far as Kindle purchases are concerened, as you know you cannot register a Kindle to more than one account. But you can register different devices to different accounts. And a "device" could in fact be a Kindle reading utility stored on a PC, Mac or tablet.

In fact, that's exactly what I do. I have my main Kindle registered to my US account at amazon.com, and my Kindle for Android app registered to .co.uk. On the face of it, that means I have to read different books on different physical devices, which is a nuisance. (In practice, there are workarounds for that, but they are not necessarily legal, so I won't mention them further here.)

You've also got to be aware of geographical restrictions (in the case of ebooks). Some publishers only allow amazon.com to sell ebooks to US residents, or amazon.co.uk to sell ebooks to UK (and/or Europe) residents. For that reason, you will need a physical address in the country from which you are buying those books (it doesn't apply to all ebooks). I am able to do that with my US Amazon account, as I use my US credit card which is registered to my US business address. (All this is quite legal, of course, and Amazon don't seem to have a problem with it.)

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I hope it will be be useful nevertheless.

Mike

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (4 March 2014), Kay (4 March 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I had a feeling the answers would be workarounds - each with their own. Dave and I have two accounts - have had for years. Mine's the .com and his is the .co.uk. We each have our own Kindle devices, although it's very rare for one of us to borrow the other's device. If I was to read something from his UK account, I usually just do it via a PC app. The .com is our primary account because I read more and I use Amazon a lot more than he does. (He doesn't get time for lounging about reading books. )

If we're buying a physical product (very rare these days) we just buy where it's cheapest (usually the .com).
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That sounds like a good idea, Mike. However, I'm confused about where I am registered as a customer. I'm pretty sure I originally registered on amazon.com, and certainly I can see all my account settings, delivery addresses and other details while I'm on amazon.com. However, .com says I have 1-click turned off, whereas it is on when I am on .fr. I think my problem is that amazon checks my IP address and forces me to buy through .fr. A proxy server would seem to be the only way out of that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabrenas View Post
    However, I'm confused about where I am registered as a customer. I'm pretty sure I originally registered on amazon.com, and certainly I can see all my account settings, delivery addresses and other details while I'm on amazon.com. However, .com says I have 1-click turned off, whereas it is on when I am on .fr. I think my problem is that amazon checks my IP address and forces me to buy through .fr. A proxy server would seem to be the only way out of that.
    Yes, it is confusing. You need to keep in mind that your registration as a customer is not the same as the registration of your device. As far as I know, you can register as a customer (that is, open an account) at any Amazon store - and as many stores as you like - regardless of where you live, method of payment, etc. When you do, each store keeps its own record of your personal details, delivery address, preferences, etc (including 1-Click setting). So those might be different in different stores (even if you use the same user name and password for each store).

Registering your device is another matter. Each device can only be registered to one store at a time. For a physical Kindle, you can now only register it from the device itself (this recently changed). If it is already registered to a different store or a different account, you must first un-register, which you can do from the device or from the Manage My Kindle page on the Amazon site.

If it is a Kindle reading application, you can only register it in the country from which you downloaded it. This is especially confusing, because there is no way of knowing the country just by looking at the program. Also, you can only have one instance of the program installed on one computer or tablet at a time. (I get round this by having a UK version on my main machine, and a US version on my laptop.)

Anyway, the point is that, when you buy an ebook, you must specify which device or app you want to use to read that particular copy of the book, and it won't let you go ahead unless that device or app is registered to your account (the account you are using to buy the ebook).

I don't know how useful any of this is to you. I stress that it is based on my personal observations, not on any inside knowledge. In my case, it's particularly confusing, because as well as having Amazon accounts in both the US and UK, and as well as having devices / apps registered with both of those, I also have separate Amazon affiliate accounts with both the US and UK. This is not helped by the fact that, on either of the Amazon sites, there's no way of seeing at a glance which account I am logged in as at any one time.

Mike

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (5 March 2014), Dave McM (4 March 2014), Kay (4 March 2014)

Top Contributor
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification. Several things begin to make sense now, including the fact that I can by goods or hardcopy books from whichever site I choose. It looks as if it IS now possible to download Kindle books from a site other than the one wherre you downloaded an app, by saying you have moved.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabrenas View Post
    It looks as if it IS now possible to download Kindle books from a site other than the one wherre you downloaded an app, by saying you have moved.
    Yes, you might be right. I think that's a recent change. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your original question - about how many times you can say you have moved before Amazon raises a flag.

Mike

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (5 March 2014)

+ Reply to Thread