+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redy to pay for malware protection

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Juts had a thought: AVG was still active when I tried to clean Firefox with Avast - I guess I should uninstall it first.... I'll give CCleaner a shot.

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabrenas View Post
    Juts had a thought: AVG was still active when I tried to clean Firefox with Avast - I guess I should uninstall it first.... I'll give CCleaner a shot.
    No need to uninstall it. Just make sure it is not running when you do the cleaning.

Mike

Top Contributor
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    as you say, Clinton, CCleaner is awesome. Thanks for the advice. And I'm getting to like listening to the Avast girl telling me when they've done me a favour, too.

Top Contributor
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    However, even after running CCleaner I still have DingoDeals and a survey popup. I cannot see any sign of them as installed programs, and Firefox doesn't show them as extensions. Any more ideas about how find and get rid of them? A registry cleaner?

Top Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabrenas View Post
    However, even after running CCleaner I still have DingoDeals and a survey popup. I cannot see any sign of them as installed programs, and Firefox doesn't show them as extensions. Any more ideas about how find and get rid of them? A registry cleaner?
    CCleaner -is- a registry cleaner.

Let's try from another direction:

It is rare for a scanning program to be able to identify adware, as the adware is typically a properly installed program. That process shields detection as malware. In my response to DomainMagnate, I recommended tracing the source of the problem. The 'free' Sysinternals Suite from Microsoft can identify everything running on your computer (but takes time to learn).

Sometimes the worst suggestion is to go to CNet and download free utilities; That is where I received adware I could not get clean. On CNet, I selected their install utility for a 3-D Video playback program; It included a forced install of the Sweetpacks adware (even though I unchecked the 'install toolbar' box). Uninstalling did not get rid of it. (I joined CNet just to report this problem, but they never replied.) Even a system restore to a prior point didn't help, as (the install was reversed but the) program files remained and rewrote themselves.

The way I got rid of it was to find it. That takes time. The first step is to review all directories in your Program files and your AppData folder (hidden in your Users directory). You need to find the text string DingoDeals on your computer using search. If your survey pop-up has a name or product shown, search for that separately. The search needs to look -inside- all files for the text string. For Search, select your C Drive, check the box that says 'Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files'. Also check the 'Always check file names and contents' (so you can find the name as content inside of a file). You must find the files associated with the adware to be able to remove it.

While the search is running (which can take hours depending on how much data you have on the box), take a look at your Program directory and (the hidden) AppData directory. (From your Folder Options, make certain the Show Hidden Files And Folders is checked.) Once you find the two sources (DingoDeals and the survey), don't uninstall them; Delete every file in each directory. With those types of files, uninstall might add another copy elsewhere. (If you're not sure whether you need the files you're deleting, you can copy to a USB stick and keep a copy just in case.)

Adware is not a virus or trojan. Malware software uses string-matching algorithms to identify virus signatures. The software typically looks at checksums for known programs and the last few bytes of code to find known signatures. This seldom finds adware, because the code signatures change based on the distributor for some of what is distributed. Adware is typically installed with other programs and malware scanners often see those as legitimately installed and approved programs.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KenW3 For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (13 March 2014), Clinton (13 March 2014), Kay (13 March 2014)

Top Contributor
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I shall be forever in your debt, Ken. Not sure whether I'll have time to work on it tomorrow - I don't like running long jobs like file contents searches unless I know I'm going to be around while they run.

+ Reply to Thread