+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redy to pay for malware protection

Top Contributor
    France. Between Limoges and Brive la Gaillarde.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ready to pay for malware protection

In the days when viruses were the threat, I chose AVG as a free and effective tool. Now that the free version infects me with adware, and I am getting bombarded with stuff that make it impossible to get on with using my browser for its intended purpose, I'm ready to pay for protection.

Why can't browser designers offer password-protected lockdown of your option selection?

What do EP members use to protect themselves from malware (and clean up when it's too late?) On a PC, that is. Maybe I should get a MAC or install Linux...

...something is even turning words in my preview into links!!!!
    Last edited by Chabrenas; 11 March 2014 at 2:35 am.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    We have several PCs in the house. One heavily used machine that has only Ghostery (free) and Comodo (free) has always been clean. The free version of SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes is run on it once every couple of months or so. That could work for you but you'd need to start with a clean machine. May be worth downloading a copy of Comodo firewall installation exe file, formatting the hard disk and reinstalling Windows ... and loading Comodo before connecting the new Windows to the 'net.

I don't have anything against paid protection; but I don't feel comfortable with products from the big boys such as Norton.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Marketing Mentor Mikl is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabrenas View Post
    In the days when viruses were the threat, I chose AVG as a free and effective tool. Now that the free version infects me with adware ....
    Does it? I've used AVG Free on two computers for at least ten years. The only ads I recall seeing is the panel at the bottom of AVG's own main screen, which advertises a 30-day trial for their paid-for product. Since I rarely have a reason to open the AVG screen, it doesn't bother me (it's possible to hide that ad, but I've never bothered).

If AVG does serve other ads, for some reason I've never noticed them.

To answer your main question, the other free product I use is Avast. But I have that installed on a machine that I don't use very often, so I can't really give an opinion on it.

Mike

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikl For This Useful Post:

Kay (11 March 2014)

Top Contributor crabfoot is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,991 Times in 1,038 Posts
    I use Avast. It is very useful, particularly good about blocking pages infected with malware / trojans. They always want you to upgrade to the paid version, but there's not much advantage in the extra features. I'd prefer to pay a fiver a year for the free version - but that's not an option.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to crabfoot For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 March 2014)

Moderator Kay is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,342 Times in 2,133 Posts
    MikL, I agree with you. It's worth getting the facts right before pointing the finger at something and accusing it as being the cause of your problems. I've known it happen before where someone has blamed something for infecting their computer when further investigation revealed that the problem had nothing to do with the accused thing at all.

I feel very uncomfortable when anyone accuses anything of infecting them with something unless they have some solid proof for their accusation.
    British Expat - helping people to live and work abroad since the year 2000.

The joy of Internet delivery - the cartoon illustrating this will make you laugh!

Top Contributor Dave McM is a Premium Member
    Thanks
    My experience with AVG Free matches Mikl's. I've been using it for over a decade with no adware problems. (I don't use their browser "enhancements", though. Could that be the difference?)

Top Contributor
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I still love AVG free. I think it was my carelessness that resulted in the installation of AVG Nation search as the default page for New Tab, and I'm not sure that I have eradicated all of it. However, my recent downloading of files from less well-known sources while looking for examples of 'books' that had multimedia characteristics has left my PC full of adware that I haven't yet succeeded in removing permanently, in spite of running a free adware cleaner that I got from CNET - and even after doing my best to follow instructions for cleaning out bearshare (which I acquired while searching for free music clips several years ago), it hasn't completely disappeared. I'll try Avast and hope it solves my problems. Thanks.

Top Contributor
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Had a bit of trouble installing Avast at first. Then when I asked for browser cleanup it said a special tool was preventing it from accessing browser addons and recommended I allow it to delete the tool. After two attempts I still got the same message, so went ahead without - and it couldn't list the addons. Disappointing. Also, during one of the Windows 7 reboots there was a message 'this is not a valid copy of Windows. Hope nothing has happened to disable the regular updates I've had over the past few years...

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    CCleaner is an awesome free clean-up program. Give it a shot.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

Chabrenas (12 March 2014)

Established Member
    Thanks
    I use AVG and have never had an issue with it. Also, as Clinton said, CCleaner is a great free tool but with any cleaner, be careful what you delete. There are lots of choices and some of them include passwords and autofill data, so if you aren't very careful, you may be missing some things when you are done that you would rather have kept..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to David S For This Useful Post:

Clinton (12 March 2014)

+ Reply to Thread