+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Longtail / Low Volume Keywords are Untrackable!

Trial Member
    Thanks

Longtail / Low Volume Keywords are Untrackable!

On a recent post I made on Flippa I asked a question to the seller of a particular website.

Question
    You don't seem to be ranking for any keywords on Google!
    Most of you traffic shows Unique views!
    Are you paying for traffic?

They PM me back saying the following

"Currently the site gets its traffic from many longtail but low-volume keywords(with not competition), these keywords are don't get no more then 15 to 40 searches a month but there is probably nearly 1 thousand of these words that bring traffic to the site so they add up to thousands of visits, in Google Analytics these keywords would show up as (not provided) because of their low volume(which is why outside sources such as SEMRush won't track such keywords , again because of their volume, these tracking services are reliable for tracking mid to high-volum keywords) And no , none of the traffic is paid. Best Regards,"

My question is that are they telling the truth about this and how can it be proven?There are a lot of sites for sale that don't have any keywords in Google or Bing but are getting a lot of traffic.
    I personally think it sounds suspect, but
    What do you think about this sellers claim ?

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    Have you looked at his traffic logs/server stats? If the traffic is long tail there should generally be a consistency in daily traffic and not sudden spikes and troughs. Caveat: Lack of consistency in daily flow could indicate bought traffic but existence of consistency does not necessarily prove organic traffic.

My question is that are they telling the truth about this and how can it be proven?
    A good rule of thumb is that if you can't satisfy yourself that something is true then continue in the expectation that it probably isn't. Personally, even if it were true and the long tail traffic can be verified, I'd attribute zero or near zero value to such traffic. If all the site can attract from SERPs is long tail, the site isn't that respected by the SEs.

And another thing....

There are a lot of sites for sale that don't have any keywords in Google or Bing but are getting a lot of traffic.
    When Google/Bing are willing to give you a written guarantee that the same levels of traffic will continue into the future you can put a value to the traffic. Till then, and contrary to popular opinion and all the bullshit "make money from websites" nonsense spouted by so many "gurus", that free and easily lost vapour traffic has no place in a site value calculation.

IMO, and that's how I would value a site. But what do I know about these things? I'm not one of the so many experts there now seem to be on this subject.
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clinton For This Useful Post:

crabfoot (31 March 2014), dsieg58 (30 March 2014)

Trial Member
    Thanks
    Hi Clinton

Where would one expect to stand with not Longtail but more to the point UNRANKED keywords.That is quite laughable !Unless they can prove otherwise!
    I was tempted to ask for the nearly 1000 kw list but didnt like their sales pitch to begin with.Their sales page felt like reading a pre written sales letter you buy on Clickbank.

Administrator Clinton is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 1,683 Posts
    People tend not to share their keyword lists, but it's easy enough to scrape their site and distill the keywords to create a copy-cat site. In fact, that's exactly what many career sellers in Flippa do. Hence the huge supply of sites that "are getting long tail traffic".
    Find the right business brokers to maximise the value you extract from your business and improve the chances of selling your business.

Established Member
    Thanks
    Half these guys (make that most of these guys) spamming us with seo promises to get us on page 1 of Google can only do so with idiotic long keyword phrases. Of course they can get you to page 1 for 'hats for ginger midgets from Burnley' and other such nonsense, but the likelihood of anyone typing that search is zilch.
    Like Clinton has said many times, its foolish to be reliant on G , B or Y to drive traffic to your site.
    But I suppose so long as people build these sites and offer them for sale, some poor innocent will fork out his cash on false promises.

aka "meathead1234" Thomas is a Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    These sites are almost always scams. I've seen tons of them. Tons of variations, but if it doesn't sound right, then it rarely is (especially on Flippa where the average scammer is pretty smart).

Usually they are just buying traffic and spoofing it as organic traffic - the giveaway is the site not ranking for any keywords.

I tend to use SEMrush to check - it's rarely ever inaccurate in my experience, regardless what a seller tells you.

They will quite often offer to put the buyer's Adsense codes on the site for a few weeks, too, which makes newbie buyers feel more comfortable. As soon as funds are released/a review has been left they stop buying traffic. The newbie buyer tends to blame themselves and will quite often end up buying more services from the seller to recover it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thomas For This Useful Post:

Clinton (1 April 2014), Kay (1 April 2014)

+ Reply to Thread